Deleted

Ret mastery breaking point 4.06 live

Hello fellow paladins. So as 4.06 goes live some of us started to care about mastery it seems. I have a question about breakpoint.
    Is there still a break point there or we now get direct scaling with mastery rating without a need to hit a break point.(do i have to reforge down closer to 14.01 if my mastery is at 14.99 and i couldn't hit 15). Sorry if that question was answered before.

Even 1 point of mastery provides a dps increase( even if its minimal) if that is what you ask, the dmg is not added with the % but with the rating.

I believe the answer is no. When you mouseover mastery it will round down to show you the dmg increase to the nearest %, but even one rating gives you a partial increase. Good question, I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

I think he means since the benefits from Mastery % are only calculated off of whole points. Since 14.99 is only 14 whole points, you would have some wated mastery rating. Thats a pretty extreme case though, I wouldn't go reforging and gemming to lower that really. One more upgrade might be all you need to put you over and then you would be reforging and gemming again.

Also note that you can use (Lavascale Minestrone - 90 Mastery Rating, 90 Stam), which in my test turned out to be roughly .5 mastery on my character sheet. I use this knowledge often on my prot pally. Use that food if the .5 mastery will put me over another full point, or use dodge or parry food otherwise.

1 rating will still increase your DPS, even if it's not reflected on your mastery skill. Partial points of mastery skill still increase your ... well, mastery skill and make you better at what you do.

A good example is a prot warrior/paladin. I increased my mastery rating (not skill) by 2 points, and everyone should know that that will never increase your mastery skill by much, but I still gained 0.01% tooltip block chance. It wasn't even reflected in my character sheet's mastery, but it still increase the defensive stat affected by mastery.

Ret mastery should be really easy to calculate too since its a fixed amount of damage compared to your CS/TV/DS and doesn't have a range on its own. Just divide your hand of light damage by the damage done by your CS/TV/DS, multiply that by 100, and you should get a number equal to how much it says your mastery adds on for holy damage, then do it again with just a little bit less/more mastery, and the difference should be pretty clear.

You can type this in your main chat window to get a more precise value of your mastery skill up to 12 decimal places.

/run print(GetMastery())

tl;dr: There is no break-point for mastery. Any gains, no matter how small, will increase your DPS.
    Last edited by blahssat; 2011-02-09 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    14.99 mastery, even though it would show (random number) 30% on the paper doll, you will still benifite from 30.87% (random again) increase.

I was reforging this morning and can say it is not based off whole numbers. Going from 16.14 ---> 16.60 mastery took my damage percentage from 33% to 34%.

Bagwan, what you are saying is incorrect. The tooltip shows only a whole number, but you get a benefit from each and every additional mastery rating. A Mastery of 14.99 gives an additional Mastery effect equal to 2.1%*14.99 = 31.48% additional damage from the Hand of Light effect, not 2.1% * 14 = 29.40%. You can verify this for yourself as the Hand of Light % in the tooltip will reflect the benefit of partial Mastery points.

Your right, my bad. I am a main spec Prot and off spec Ret. I was confused as the Prot mastery benefit is only based off of whole points. I assumed that part was the same for all masteries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Your right, my bad. I am a main spec Prot and off spec Ret. I was confused as the Prot mastery benefit is only based off of whole points. I assumed that part was the same for all masteries.
    I think what was meant is that, despite the tool-tip, all masteries work like this, including Divine Bulwark. I myself have noticed a block chance gain off less-than-whole-point mastery increases.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

I believe that mastery is at the cost of critical strike when you reforge PVP gear. I found that I could not achieve higher dps without more balance. Test it out and get back to us. I am really interested as to optimized levels of crit and mastery who seem to be competing for our dps atm.