Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unbiased Rift Review

Heya folks,

Played : beta 5 and 6 Lvl 25 Paladin/Warlord/Voidknight Lvl 21 Marksmen/Ranger/Riftstalker

I never even heard of Rift until about 4 weeks ago and like many others i was very skeptical about it being any good mainly due to how many mmo's had failed to keep me longer than the free month.
    With Rift after playing for just a few hours i realised Trion worlds might be onto soemthing here, a dark horse so to speak.
    At first it was very much like wow even alot of the classes are extremely like wow like the paladin for example has a avenger shield type abilty and hammer that he hurls but is used mainly as a taunt and a lay on hands type spell although i did think to myself "hold on this class is abit of a copy" it didnt matter because there was 7 more specs for this warrior class to mix with it .
    The amount of combinations you can have make for a very interesting gameplay experience , espeically in pvp.
    Theres many of the trade mark "wow " classes in the game but theres so many more new ones that you get alot of choice.
    So classes and the amount of diffrentialty you can have with your fellow players is defo a plus for me.

Graphics, although the game is still in beta phase and does require some tweaks im pretty impressed with how nice the graphics are and the low system requirements , its said if you can play wow you can play Rift .
    The graphics are very nice indeed for example how the sun reflects of metal surfaces like your sword or shield for example i thought that was a nice touch.
    The water effect is beautiful one thing that caught my attention was that when you dived under water the sound changed to make it more realistic it sounded like you was actually under water when casting spells and even using your swords and arrows make the swoosh sound liek traveling through water , another very nice touch

Ive done only the 2 first dungeons for both factions Iron tomb and Fae Realm both were very unique to each other.
    What surprised me most was the amount of difficulty these dungeons presented for the lvl 15 dungeon when compared to say RFC in wow.
    Although it was the first dungeon it required alot of CC and teamwork to get through it.
    After completing it it gave us a very satisfying feel of achievment much like that of raiding experiences.

It seems to me that trion worlds has really studied hard what players want and took all the best bits from various other mmo's and combined them to make the game RIFT.
    A few things they have Achievments , Ghost walk and soul walk, soul walk lets you spawn dirrectely at your corpse without the need of running but has 1 hour cd, Rifts (public quests), in game mail system, an open world , mounts , pvp Battlegrounds and outdoors. pvp .pVe quests, dungeons ,raiding, need/greed loot system, reps to earn,RP servers,PVP servers , Pve servers and much much more .

Ive read alot of biased threads about rift from other wow players saying how bad it is and it really dissapoints me when i see such threads because rift is a very good game and should get the credit it deserves and not be written of by biased fan boys.

Im a wow player i started wow in may 2005 i have nothing bad to say about wow it has been a fun ride and i enjoyed wow very much but i have been waiting very long for a new game and now that ive found one im quite happy about it , didnt actually think it would happen until blizzard made a new one , but Rift is good enough for me and i think many others would enjoy it too i just suggest try it and see what you think.

Anyway please dont flame i was just being honest about my Rift experience as possible and just thought id share a little of what i think about the game.

Regards Rush
    Last edited by mmocb92d04e933; 2011-02-10 at 01:15 PM.

Regarding the betakeys, the only availible beta that is due for the 15th february does not require you to have a betakey as it is the only openbeta planned for the game.

Gotta be a good game for your first and only post to be about Rift and not WoW!

Deleted
    Posting before it's moved!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Regarding the betakeys, the only availible beta that is due for the 15th february does not require you to have a betakey as it is the only openbeta planned for the game.
    oh right didnt know that well ive given soem away now anyway :Pi got given a pack of 25 keys ill edit it out then

ill need to try this thing out.

OMFG! How many of theese are there! =D

Everyday someone pops in to write a full review on Rift /=

As biased as it sounds, when i healed my first instance in rift, Playing an Cleric, with the souls of Druid, Warden and Purifiere. I was impressed, i had to stay on my toes, Be ready, Be focused, I alt tapped for a Split second once, And 3 party members was dead, Oh lol. And some of the Effects they add into them is simply amazing, And Requeres skill and Cordination, aswell as setup. I felt like i was Doing Tbc heroics agian. In full honnesty. I didnt quit wow becourse it sucks, I didnt join Rift becourse its better than Wow, Cuss im not saying it is, I just didnt like the way blizzard is turning the tide, And decided to join another ride, Ive done Multiple runs of Each Of the four Starter instances, And my First trip to Deepstrike mines took nearly over 3 hours, Then i went inside it agian, Just after, With a complete difrent Setup, And cleared it withing an Hour, Simply becuss we knew the tacs, had a Great setup, And worked Very well together as a team.

Heres a video of the Second Guardian Instance, Good mechanics and we wiped a few dozen times, This is just a Cutwork taking out the killshots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGy_b3__nYU
    Simple, hard, Cordinated.

/Krogh.

Quote Originally Posted by rushx View Post
    Ive done only the 2 first dungeons for both factions Iron tomb and Fae Realm both were very unique to each other.
    What surprised me most was the amount of difficulty these dungeons presented for the lvl 15 dungeon when compared to say RFC in wow.
    Although it was the first dungeon it required alot of CC and teamwork to get through it.
    After completing it it gave us a very satisfying feel of achievment much like that of raiding experiences.
    well, WoW had this in Vanilla a lot, and much in TBC.

just wait till Rift get so much players that the QQ on forums will be unbearable to the management and they will nerf the dungeons "To the Groud" like we saw in WotLK and now in Cata. When a lot people play the game the game goes easyer to attract more people, sadly the majority of players get "fun" for being OP and clearing stuff with AoE mashing and not using a single brain cell, not from achyving a difficult complex fight.

WoW can be much of an indicator how the MMO will go when reaching certain playerbase, where satisfaction goes only from "be the first"(from a millions of others) and not from "be the ONLY"(or only a very few).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogh View Post
    As biased as it sounds, when i healed my first instance in rift, Playing an Cleric, with the souls of Druid, Warden and Purifiere. I was impressed, i had to stay on my toes, Be ready, Be focused, I alt tapped for a Split second once, And 3 party members was dead, Oh lol. And some of the Effects they add into them is simply amazing, And Requeres skill and Cordination, aswell as setup. I felt like i was Doing Tbc heroics agian. In full honnesty. I didnt quit wow becourse it sucks, I didnt join Rift becourse its better than Wow, Cuss im not saying it is, I just didnt like the way blizzard is turning the tide, And decided to join another ride, Ive done Multiple runs of Each Of the four Starter instances, And my First trip to Deepstrike mines took nearly over 3 hours, Then i went inside it agian, Just after, With a complete difrent Setup, And cleared it withing an Hour, Simply becuss we knew the tacs, had a Great setup, And worked Very well together as a team.

Heres a video of the Second Guardian Instance, Good mechanics and we wiped a few dozen times, This is just a Cutwork taking out the killshots

Simple, hard, Cordinated.

/Krogh.
    nice ill check it out thanx ^ ive not done that instance yet

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 01:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    well, WoW had this in Vanilla a lot, and much in TBC.

just wait till Rift get so much players that the QQ on forums will be unbearable to the management and they will nerf the dungeons "To the Groud" like we saw in WotLK and now in Cata. When a lot people play the game the game goes easyer to attract more people, sadly the majority of players get "fun" for being OP and clearing stuff with AoE mashing and not using a single brain cell, not from achyving a difficult complex fight.

WoW can be much of an indicator how the MMO will go when reaching certain playerbase, where satisfaction goes only from "be the first"(from a millions of others) and not from "be the ONLY"(or only a very few).
    sad but true espeically in western mmorpgs itsall bout the money :P

Hello Mr 3-Post Trion Worlds Viral Marketer. I think the Rift websites are that way. ---->

From my experience in beta 5, Rift and WoW are 100% interchangeable to me. Rift has more (they have 100% of all mechanics I ever saw in either Guild Wars, DaoC or WoW, it's really quite a lot), WoW is a lot more polished.

But in the end, I don't play MMOs for the game... which is always rather shallow. If my entire guild decides to get up and move to another game, so shall I.
    SQUEAK.
    --(The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

@Krogh

I like how you mention you have to stay on your toes, skill, coordination, etc, as if to imply you don't ever do that in WoW. But then you mention is only took an hour to clear a raid second time? Sounds weak. If it's that easy, then I know why people prefer Rift over WoW; Wrath babies that want free loot for doing nothing.

If in WoW you're not focused in heroic raids, use skill and co-ordinate, you're dead. It's the same thing.

I played in the beta, and was pleasantly surprised with how well polished it was so far. there were a few things that stopped me short of total enjoyment. foremost of which being the movement, something about it gave me a headache >.< I know several people who are jumping ship to Rift, but they are fairly bad players anyway so that's a gain for us staying in WoW, honestly i hope Rift keeps its head above water as competition is healthy and WoW needs it....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, while reading this, it does sound like it is from a Trion employee. And it probably is.

However, I did play the Rift beta and it is really fun. Am I going to quit wow for it? Probably not. But I am going to buy it and play it for a while.

Cheers for the beta key !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogh View Post
    As biased as it sounds, when i healed my first instance in rift, Playing an Cleric, with the souls of Druid, Warden and Purifiere. I was impressed, i had to stay on my toes, Be ready, Be focused,
    In a new game you were playing an unfamiliar class in a never seen instance.
    Did you expect otherwise?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by calendor View Post
    Hello Mr 3-Post Trion Worlds Viral Marketer. I think the Rift websites are that way. ---->
    i made post here because i cant post on wow forums because i quit the game and it wont let me post unless i have active account and since rift comes out this month theres no point me activating it[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 01:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drenaus View Post
    Cheers for the beta key !
    no probs mate enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by rushx View Post
    i made post here because i cant post on wow forums because i quit the game and it wont let me post unless i have active account and since rift comes out this month theres no point me activating it
    Of course you did, and that's why you posted in here and not in http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/293-Video-Games with the tens of other Rift threads.

Deleted
    rofl im not a trion employee how fuckign stupid is that lol i wish i was though would be nice

im a electrical and hydrolic engineer from essex in uk lol doh!

---------- Post added 2011-02-10 at 01:39 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Aktavite;10402639]Of course you did, and that's why you posted in here and not in [link]

so ? does it matter fuck me forum police , why is there always sum1 who gets upset at the thought of wow players liking another game, fuckign pathetic