Deleted

Few mage questions :)!

I've recently rerolled from Hunter to (frost) Mage, and I'm wondering some things:

-Does FoF/Deep freeze increase Frostfire damage?
    -When steady dpsing, do I do FB-Ice lance-FB-icelance (aside from obviously putting deepfreeze between it when available), or do I spam Frostbolt till FoF procs and only then Ice lance?
    -When getting damaged, what will 'take' the damage first: ice barrier or mana shield?
    -When do I use what shield? (Molten/mage/frost armor)
    -What stat priority do mages have?

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Valdun View Post
    I've recently rerolled from Hunter to (frost) Mage, and I'm wondering some things:

-When steady dpsing, do I do FB-Ice lance-FB-icelance (aside from obviously putting deepfreeze between it when available), or do I spam Frostbolt till FoF procs and only then Ice lance?
    -When getting damaged, what will 'take' the damage first: ice barrier or mana shield?

Thanks a lot!
    1) Does it says it does? Why would FoF/Deep Freeze increase Frostfire? If it's not written, it's not there. period.
    2) We don't need expert theorycrafters to see that Ice Lance hits like a wet noodle outside of FoF procs.

As far as getting Finger of Frost procs, you can get two, so if you only have one, you can let it wait without losing anything. If you have two, then use an ice lance to clear one, if Brain Freeze isnt up. If you have only one, you want to wait to see if you can use it for Deep Freeze, or if you proc Brain Freeze during that time.
    Never use Brain Freeze without FoF.

You want Molten at all times... maybe Mage armor if you screwed up your mana regen somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    1) Does it says it does? Why would FoF/Deep Freeze increase Frostfire? If it's not written, it's not there. period.
    Frostfire bolt consumes a FoF, though. That's why I expected that it also increased dmg. But then it's just a random bug I guess.
    2) We don't need expert theorycrafters to see that Ice Lance hits like a wet noodle outside of FoF procs.
    Didn't know it was that bad at 85 (83 myself now)
    As far as getting Finger of Frost procs, you can get two, so if you only have one, you can let it wait without losing anything. If you have two, then use an ice lance to clear one, if Brain Freeze isnt up. If you have only one, you want to wait to see if you can use it for Deep Freeze, or if you proc Brain Freeze during that time.
    If you say frostfirebolt doesn't increase damage with FoF, why would I want to use Brain Freeze with FoF?

You want Molten at all times... maybe Mage armor if you screwed up your mana regen somewhere.
    Thanks!

Read the Brain Freeze talent, it states when FFB is instant, it benefits from FFB.

Just to offer another opinion, EJ recommends Mage Armor for Frost Mages, rather than Molten. However, there's no reason you couldn't switch it as needed I suppose.

If you say frostfirebolt doesn't increase damage with FoF, why would I want to use Brain Freeze with FoF?
    It doesnt increase -Frostfire- damage. But it does make your FFB benefits from Mastery (Damage vs Frozen)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovymama View Post
    Just to offer another opinion, EJ recommends Mage Armor for Frost Mages, rather than Molten. However, there's no reason you couldn't switch it as needed I suppose.
    I imagine that is because the crit cap is so easy to achieve that in good enough gear you end up going above it without a choice, so MA loses a good portion of it's dps value. Just a guess, though, as I haven't read EJ for like a year.

Deleted
    Thanks guys! 2 questions remain unanswered and I'd love to hear the answer of you guys (the stat priority and what armor depletes first)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stat Priority

Int>SP>Hit (until capped)>Crit (until ice lance soft cap with 2xT11 or soft cap of 33,34%. (Still unclear which one))>Haste>Mastery>Crit (for FFB, DF and Frb).

Based on values simulated by Kuni with BIS 372. Stats weight always change based on your actual gear, so it's always better to simcraft with your own gear to know the best value of each stat at a given time, but overall, that's the consensus.

Armor: You should be using Molten Armor glyphed for an extra 6% crit on frozen target (Shatter). It's a matter of using properly your mana gems et Evocation. If really you have issue with your mana, you can always switch to Mage Armor during a fight to get some back and then switch back to Molten Armor when you feel you have enough mana to finish the fight.

Deleted
    Okay, thanks a lot. A new thing tha I'm wondering about popped up for me as well: when Deep Freezing a mob, what do I do? Do I spam icelance for the doubled damage on Frozen targets, or do I spam frostbolt for the +20% dmg?

If the mob is actually frozen from deep freeze I say ice lance.... instant cast on a frozen target = faster dead mob. If it's an unstunnable mob aka raid boss.... well it won't matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post

It's best to pop FFB during BF proc as soon as you get it, with or without FoF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxiliadora View Post
    It's best to pop FFB during BF proc as soon as you get it, with or without FoF.
    Incorrect. BF FFB's should be used with a FoF. Any time you have a frozen mob (deep freeze) use a BF'd FFB, or if not available Icelance. You only use frostbolt to fish for FoF's basically.

In terms of which shield depletes first in my experience it depends on which you cast first. In PvE you should essentially never use mana shield, as it kills your mana and so your dps.

For stat weightings go check ElitestJerks, or download SimC and run a simulation on yourself. Any crit over 33.3% is wasted (Shatter triples your crit chance so 33.3% -> 100%). Int is god for mages as far as a primary stat is concerned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    Incorrect. BF FFB's should be used with a FoF. Any time you have a frozen mob (deep freeze) use a BF'd FFB, or if not available Icelance. You only use frostbolt to fish for FoF's basically.

In terms of which shield depletes first in my experience it depends on which you cast first. In PvE you should essentially never use mana shield, as it kills your mana and so your dps.

For stat weightings go check ElitestJerks, or download SimC and run a simulation on yourself. Any crit over 33.3% is wasted (Shatter triples your crit chance so 33.3% -> 100%). Int is god for mages as far as a primary stat is concerned.
    You really should check out the posts on this forum, before you spread false information mate.

With the new patch, things has changed.

Check out these threads and read them carefully:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ainfreeze-proc
    &
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-the-new-patch

After that, feel free to come back and proove me wrong! =)

E: And read this if you want to know our new roation
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1701750567

Quote Originally Posted by Nthpower View Post
    FFB should be used ONLY with FoF up for more damage. Shoot an istant FFB without FoF up only if BF is ending and you cannot freeze the mob or pop your elemental FoF

Ice lance only if you have 2 charges of FoF or you need to move, or the only charge of FoF is going to end soon and it didn't refresh

During Hero/BL/TW and IV, it's a good idea to swith to molten armor for more dps, otherwise Mage armor is the best, 'cause you can pew pew thing without the need of an Evocation

this is during a boss encounter ofc
    Wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc3873951f6b; 2011-02-11 at 06:32 PM.

FFB should be used ONLY with FoF up for more damage. Shoot an istant FFB without FoF up only if BF is ending and you cannot freeze the mob or pop your elemental FoF

Ice lance only if you have 2 charges of FoF or you need to move, or the only charge of FoF is going to end soon and it didn't refresh

During Hero/BL/TW and IV, it's a good idea to swith to molten armor for more dps, otherwise Mage armor is the best, 'cause you can pew pew thing without the need of an Evocation

this is during a boss encounter ofc
    The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Thanks a lot!
    1.) FoF in the info says only that it works for lance and DF, not for ffb or frost bolt.
    i am used as frost for chogall and nefarian for add CC. save brain freeze for when you have no fof to use.
    2.) spam frost bolts until you have a proc, never use lance(unless mobile) without a fof charge.
    casting with no proc: frost bolt spam
    casting with FoF: FB then ice lance repeat
    casting with FoF and BF: use up lance with FB+lance rotation, then FB+FFB
    FFB does use up a FoF charge,but it doesn't shatter so its better to use a lance with FoF

3.) shield consumption is: Mageward > Frost Barrier > Mana Shield. I am sure of this without a doubt by my weekly swim from the BRD pub to the MC entrance of which i use all 3 shields and mage armor.
    4.) with the fix to mages mana, you should be able to use molten armor most of the time. between the mana gem(which gives about 12% mana if you have over 90k) and evocate mana should not have to be a problem unless he fight lasts longer than 12 min. i can use 2 evos in one fight(being cho, nef, and alakir) and never have to wand or sit or change to mage armor.

5.) as already said, int>hit(til cap) > straight SP > crit >haste/mastery(same tier)
    there is a sticky on the board that shows the importance. int is like a 2:1 on all other stats.
    (Spirit is 100% useless since it no longer gives crit), but honestly have fun finding a spirtless wand(pvp ones work)
    Last edited by cfeuer1; 2011-02-13 at 02:05 AM. Reason: was incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifer2005
    Turning Off Experience has ruined BGs!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    FFB does use up a FoF charge,but it doesn't shatter so its better to use a lance with FoF
    Before spreading wrong information, I'd tell you to check better. The fof talent doesn't talk about FFB, but the Brainfreeze does and here is what it says

Your spells no longer trigger Arcane Missiles. Instead, your frost damaging spells have a X% chance to cause your next Fireball or Frostfire Bolt spell to be instant cast and cost no mana. When Frostfire Bolt is instant, it can benefit from Fingers of Frost. Brain Freeze can not be triggered by Frostfire Bolt.

And because FFB profits from FOF, it profits from shatter as well. Bu as we speak, we are debating if it's better to wait for a FOF charge or not before casting BF FFB. From what I saw, waiting for a charge is theoritically the best dps (by about 2-300 dps), but you have more chance to munch BF proc by waiting. If you don't wait to use your FOF at all (as soon as they egt, you use ice lance), then you have 0 chance of munching.

Overall, both strategy are really close dps wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazariel View Post
    Before spreading wrong information, I'd tell you to check better. The fof talent doesn't talk about FFB, but the Brainfreeze does and here is what it says
    Noted.

while playing with a target dummy and using only FoF lance and FoF ffb, ice lance was doing better average damage.
    Ice lance gets damage multiplier due to FoF
    FFB is able to hold its own. ice lance is weak without FoF
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifer2005
    Turning Off Experience has ruined BGs!