Few minor hiccups in new build

I just built a sandybridge build, i have the sabertooth p67 board, I5 2500k cpu, 8 gigs of corsair ram, everythign starts up, but when I do a new start up, like I had the power off the system starts up runs for liek 5 seconds turns off, then turns back on and stays on after 5 seconds, is this normal? Then after I start up the cpu downclocks or overcloaks depending on usage, at idle it is staying a 1.6 ghz, as soon as I start up a game or something the cpu immediately goes back up to normal speeds? is this a feature I can change, or should I change this?

Quote Originally Posted by Banereaver View Post
    I just built a sandybridge build, i have the sabertooth p67 board, I5 2500k cpu, 8 gigs of corsair ram, everythign starts up, but when I do a new start up, like I had the power off the system starts up runs for liek 5 seconds turns off, then turns back on and stays on after 5 seconds, is this normal?
    My P8P67 Pro does exactly same, been wondering about it too...

Quote Originally Posted by Banereaver View Post
    Then after I start up the cpu downclocks or overcloaks depending on usage, at idle it is staying a 1.6 ghz, as soon as I start up a game or something the cpu immediately goes back up to normal speeds? is this a feature I can change, or should I change this?
    It's normal, the CPU runs at 16x on idle for power saving, and speeds up to maximum clock when it's needed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

well i am glad then I am not the only oen with the weird booting, one friend told me it was a pre boot check, the computer makes sure everything is good before it boots up for real, but computer knowledge has nto always been his strong base so i thought i would check on here.

Double Posting seems to be a common problem amongst the P8P67 boards. A quick Google yielded
    Some of you may have been experiencing a double POST on your P8P67 series motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen. I’ll explain the fix below and give some information about why this happens.

First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website, http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.
    From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.
    Cheers

There's also a bug in memory detection I found with more googling. Asus P67 boards fail POSTing sometimes due to RAM incompatibility even though the memory sticks are in QVL. This happens mostly with 1600MHz and faster RAM, but also occasionally with 1333MHz sticks.

Clearing BIOS memory as described in the manual with the jumper (sometimes even up to physically removing the BIOS battery from motherboard) along with BIOS patch should fix this problem.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.