Thread: Stuck DVD tray

10+ Year Old Account

Stuck DVD tray

So I'm a bit pissed. I recently bought a new computer, installed windows, blah blah. Now my DVD drive won't spit out the friggin' Windows disc!

I've tried right-clicking on it in My Computer and hitting eject.
    I've tried pressing the eject button.
    I pressed the manual release. The mechanism released, but the drive is still closed up tight. I can't press the release again, as it is already released.
    I've tried prying it open.

When I press the eject button, it makes an extremely soft whining sound for about 5 seconds, then stops. It opened for me to put the disc in, and not 30 minutes later, started doing this. I didn't bang/hit it, I pressed the button to put the tray in (I don't push on trays at all) and my computer hasn't crashed or had anything negative happen to it in this timeframe. I'm really at a loss here >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    My suggestion is try unscrewing it however this may not be enough since alot of cd/dvdroms you must remove the front bezzel before it comes apart and to do so usually requires ejecting it. If that fails get yourself a dremel or similar tool and cut it open carefully.
    thankfully a new drive wont cost you much.
    The other possible solution is rma the drive and demand they return the disk
    can't promise your dvd will come out undamaged in either case

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So I'm a bit pissed. I recently bought a new computer, installed windows, blah blah. Now my DVD drive won't spit out the friggin' Windows disc!

I pressed the manual release. The mechanism released, but the drive is still closed up tight. I can't press the release again, as it is already released.

When I press the eject button, it makes an extremely soft whining sound for about 5 seconds, then stops. It opened for me to put the disc in, and not 30 minutes later, started doing this. I didn't bang/hit it, I pressed the button to put the tray in (I don't push on trays at all) and my computer hasn't crashed or had anything negative happen to it in this timeframe. I'm really at a loss here >.>
    When you say manual release, do you mean the hole where you can jam a paperclip in? If all else fails, turn it off and unwind a paperclip and put it in there.

Unscrew it from your chassis, you've likely used a screw that is a tiny bit too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a screweless chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    When you say manual release, do you mean the hole where you can jam a paperclip in? If all else fails, turn it off and unwind a paperclip and put it in there.
    Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Then I'm guessing you've released any locking mechanism and tried ejecting the tray.

RMA the drive, or strip it to get your disc back and perhaps put drive back together.

15+ Year Old Account

blabla

same as happened to me , i solved this by unplugging the power for the cd-rom and plugging it again and windows discovered it again and installed it
    Last edited by Uvania; 2011-02-11 at 05:51 PM. Reason: cuz i can

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

Get either the manufacturer of the computer or the manufacturer of the drive to replace it. It may be worth changing the SATA and power cables to another if there are any free in your case.

Taking the drive apart will almost certainly void any warranty, if you are even able to take it apart.