Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The only way to make serious amounts of gold.

Is in new things added to the game. I:E - BOE's, Mounts, anything recently added.

Im not talking about getting 20g profit margins. Im talking about 1k+ profit margins. Cutting gems, Doing enchants, Mining, Herbing, Truegold transmutes, Flasks, All have decreasing profit margins and its going down in a hurry. Many of you have noticed that in some cases, Its a loss. Guild's are doing their own flasks, gems, and enchants. With more guilds around, Its obvious the market for each has all but crashed.

The only way to make serious amounts of gold is to prepare for new additions. Such as saving pyrite for prospecting future epic gems as well as saving your Tokens to buy patterns. Sure, It could backfire and token count is reset or a new ore is introduced but the potential for gold is just too much to ignore. I estimate 30-40k I will receive if this plan works. More recently, New enchants and meta's were added. The cuts go for 500g+ and you can make quite a bit of them. Soon they too will decrease as others get the plans but for now its a goldmine.

BOE's. People are paying a good amount to skip normal dungeons at 85 and get into heroics asap. With BSing and Tailoring, Im making 20k a week via this method. Mounts as well (Vial of the sands). I know a person who got the recipe for that dragon within the first week of cata. He is now at gold cap on 5 toons.

Just my $0.02 . Gogo discussion.

My idea is that you're wrong. Bulk is an equally effective way to make profit. Selling 100 gems at 20g profit each is the same as selling 2 epics for 1k g profit each. Sure, there are ways to make very fast, very large chunks of gold, but those are a lot less common, and you can't do it nearly as often. Large profit margins that you speak of tend to just be around very specific times, like you said, but good AH'ers buy low for months at a time, then sell high for months at a time. They will go a month without selling a thing, then sell a lot of items in a short period of time.

It's not about 1 big burst, it's about consistency. Consistency is where the real money is made.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Your solution to serious amounts of gold are temporary at best. Playing the AH, yes, dealing with those "cutting gems, doing enchants, mining, herbing, truegold" etc. etc. will, if you're good at it be steady, reliable income. I don't even have an Inscriptionist (or Scribe, whatever you want to call it) yet I pull in approximately 3k a week from glyphs and roughly 10k per week from cards.

Does properly using the AH take a lot of time? Yea, but it's still the most reliable and steady way of making gold imo.

My method isnt for people who play the game 5+ hours a day. ITs for people who want to make gold quickly and in a large total quantity. Everytime Ive latched onto something for gold making purposes, Ive gotten 40k+ . Of course I get gold Consistently with dailies, Dungeons, occasional mining/herbing. My method is also just leaping from one platform to another. Gathering keeps me occupied until the next cash cow appears but I never rely on it due to the amount I get from previous cash cows.

Cutting 200 gems for 20g each takes atleast an hour. That takes too long. Not only that, It will take days for them all to sell. The beauty of BOE's and such is that its 1 item. Takes no more than 10 minutes to sell.

Keep in mind I am adding time into the Cost of things as well. Less time = more efficiency = more gold. Why spend an hour on gems for 4k when you can make 8k in 30 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by BasshunterX View Post
    The only way to make serious amounts of gold is to prepare for new additions. Such as saving pyrite for prospecting future epic gems as well as saving your Tokens to buy patterns. Sure, It could backfire and token count is reset or a new ore is introduced but the potential for gold is just too much to ignore. I estimate 30-40k I will receive if this plan works. More recently, New enchants and meta's were added. The cuts go for 500g+ and you can make quite a bit of them. Soon they too will decrease as others get the plans but for now its a goldmine.
    saving your tokens to buy patterns?????????

umm...those new cuts are random world drops...saving your tokens wouldn't help you at all.....same with the new enchanting recipes....also, there are no tokens for enchanters, enchanters buy new patterns with either heavenly shards or maelstrom crystals......do you even have these professions?

Goldmine from selling these new cuts??? yeah, if you randomly get the recipe to drop....but if not, then it takes a very large investment. On my server the recipes for the new cuts are on the ah for 40k, the agi/int/str bracer recipe enchant are on the ah for between 50k-60k....with your price of 500g for the cuts, that means you need to sell 80 gems to just break even on the recipe, not even counting what you spent on the uncut shadowspirit diamonds.

BOE's. People are paying a good amount to skip normal dungeons at 85 and get into heroics asap. With BSing and Tailoring, Im making 20k a week via this method. Mounts as well (Vial of the sands). I know a person who got the recipe for that dragon within the first week of cata. He is now at gold cap on 5 toons.
    If you have noticed, the BoE market for bs/leatherwork/tailoring have all gone to crap over the past month or so....I sold an elementium stormshield for 18k like the 2nd week of cata....now no crafted epic is selling for more then 7k on my server (which is barely above mat cost)

...you're making 20k a week making boe crafted epics?? how many heroics you run? Especially with tailoring, tailoring needs more chaos orbs than any other prof to make epics I've heard.

I don't want to be the contrarian... but, while your plan may work, there are people, myself included, who make 30-40k every couple days doing just the things you say are not worth it. You can amplify margins in many ways... market ownership, volume, supply feast, etc. Saving is a calculated risk. Anyone interested in the economic meta game is hedging on the future in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Veriu View Post
    ...you're making 20k a week making boe crafted epics?? how many heroics you run? Especially with tailoring, tailoring needs more chaos orbs than any other prof to make epics I've heard.
    You heard wrong, Tailors doesn't require any orbs at all.
    Tailors have 6 transmutes to make Dreamcloth, 5 of those however are on a 1 week cooldown while the sixth have no cooldown at all and requires 5 Orbs, so yes if you want to make quick Dreamcloth they require large amounts of orbs, if you're in no hurry you don't need a single one.

As for the OP, I gotta agree with most of the other posters here, I've made 25-30k since Monday doing the things you say are not worth doing and it takes me no more than 30 minutes to an hour every day.

People have to make gold using the professions they have access to. Some people have better planning and perspective when it comes to the market, others prefer to min/ max for raiding while others choose to take the easiest route and level easy professions. This changes the way you see the market, when you don't have access to all the professions, you go with the ones you know. Even fully knowing someone else is making more.

From the sounds of things OP, you have either put very little thought into your broad baseless statements or you have very little experience the economy/business/retail in general.

You probably don't have a JC or an Alchemist either? or you don't know what to do with them! There is plenty of gold in small profit margins. Sometimes BOEs are more convenient, even bigger for the epeen when you get huge chunks at a time.

But a Businessmen peddling his wares and taking advantage of supply and demand and selling in bulk with small profit margins is going to get the ultimate satisfaction of understanding how to work the economy and ultimately get better returns as everything falls into place.

And yeah like everyone else said, to get 20k off Tailoring / Leatherworking a week, You have to do heroics which are at least 30 minutes long, Maybe over an hour.That is for the chance to roll on an orb. You can easily farm 3-5k gold in that time without even having a profession.

Vial of Sands can be easy money every week depending on how naive your userbase is on realm.

I think it can be safely said that there is a great varity of ways to make money in the game, and now that cataclysm is out we are seeing some serious gold movement. Prices of raw materials once thought impossible are now the new norm. 5k isn't so much nowadays, now a good start is 50k.

My advice is do something that makes you happy and you can do it consistently. My observation that right now BOEs are good but they won't be for long, their prices will plumet just like in Wraith at the end when I routinely vendored BOE heroic gear. Then again after 6 months you may not need any more gold ever.

FWIW I was gold capped (2 toons) until i gave all my gold away . I encourage people who are leaving the game to spread it around to your guildmates, it keeps the gold in the system and you can do people a world of good. Making gold for me is most fun when you go from zero to 50k, not so much 50k and on.

Idk man, I'm farming volatile fires by fishing from the hyjal/twilands fire pools. I make a full stack in an hour, less than an hour during the night. I make about 1500g for 40 of them. Seems like a good profit for me.

Deleted
    ... He is now at gold cap on 5 toons....
    Your friend has more than 5 million gold personally now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veriu View Post
    saving your tokens to buy patterns?????????

umm...those new cuts are random world drops...saving your tokens wouldn't help you at all.....same with the new enchanting recipes....also, there are no tokens for enchanters, enchanters buy new patterns with either heavenly shards or maelstrom crystals......do you even have these professions?

Goldmine from selling these new cuts??? yeah, if you randomly get the recipe to drop....but if not, then it takes a very large investment. On my server the recipes for the new cuts are on the ah for 40k, the agi/int/str bracer recipe enchant are on the ah for between 50k-60k....with your price of 500g for the cuts, that means you need to sell 80 gems to just break even on the recipe, not even counting what you spent on the uncut shadowspirit diamonds.
    Dont think that's right. He is talking about the epic gems that will be introduced in a later patch, are you sure about all of these beeing random drop? Any source?

Profit to me increases based on two things, the number of markets that I expand into, and the amount of gold that I invest. It doesn't matter what the profit margin is unless I am simply worried about time per gold. Making guesses about the future can backfire, and consolidating gold into high depreciating items such as epics can backfire. So in practice, the higher the profit margin the higher the risk. The lower the profit margin the lower the risk. High perishable goods such as gems, flasks, and enchants therefore retain the highest value, and if mass produced, will yield you the highest and safest profits.

Obviously your mileage may vary, and you can increase your profit and decrease your risk by spamming trade, buying materials on weekends, and selling goods during peak hours before guilds raid.

---------- Post added 2011-02-11 at 07:06 PM ----------

Also, investing in pyrite ore right now is just silly to me. Unless you think they are going to release epic gems in the next patch, than you still have a ton of time to allow for deflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this ^

Deleted
    tbh it all comes down to luck for the big bonuses, my example is this about an hour after the servers came back online after 4.0.6 I was doing my dailies in TB and the pattern for the Int/crit gem dropped off the 8th Croc I killed, so I sent it over to my jcer, he put it on ah for 50k within 2 secs I had offers variying from 25k to 40k, I then took it off the ah and learnt it on my Jcer, within 1 day I made over 100k gold, this is luck if I had'nt had found this recipt I would still have gone on making a few epics aweek to sell and rolled over gold wise nice and easy, the fact that the world drop recipt dropped for me and I was the only person on my realm to have it made me a lot and that will last for a while.

Yes ofc you can horde ores and points for future things but as said at beginning I believe that most ppl earn gold through just plain luck, and ofc the more gold you have at the start the easier it is to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethilliz View Post
    Dont think that's right. He is talking about the epic gems that will be introduced in a later patch, are you sure about all of these beeing random drop? Any source?
    don't think what's right? the cost of the recipes on my server? it is...I look at them every time I get on, as I have a jc'er and a chanter and would like all of the patterns.

as for the epic gems, I have no idea if they are going to be world drop, or from tokens....I hope from tokens....getting like 20 random world drop patterns for the epic version of every cut = fail.

My point was, that the OP said, that you should save your tokens to buy new patterns. He then cited the meta gems and bracer enchants that were just added to the game, as an example of how much money you could make by saving tokens....but none of the recipes that were added in 4.0.6 could be purchased with tokens.

Oh, also...as for huge profits....OP, I think most people would say that "big oil" makes huge profits right? but they also have EXTREMELY small profit margins...on the order of a few pennies per dollar revenue. But it doesn't matter, because if you sell 50 billion gallons of gas every day, even making 1 penny per gallon profit means you make 500 million dollars profit every day....is anyone going to say that "big oil" has a failing business model because they have such a small profit margin? no.

Big profit margins are great, but they never last, and planing your whole economic idea off of being able to make, say 500% profit for one week, is not that reliable. Personally, if I can make just 10 or 20% profit everyday until 4.1 comes out, without putting in much effort, and without much risk, I'll be happy and probably end up with more gold than a person who saves up stuff in the hope that they can make 50-100k in the first week of 4.1
    Last edited by Veriu; 2011-02-12 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Your friend has more than 5 million gold personally now?
    would like answer for this question as well :P and why he doesnt "sacrifice" one toon to get acces to a guild bank to store all that gold so he does not be worried about cap :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually he references buying tokens at the same time as talking about saving pyrite ore, both with the purpose of buying epic gem patterns in the future. The meta gem part is separate. But anyways, I personally just do it both ways. I make plenty of gold day to day, but there is nothing to spend it on so why not speculate and save certain things hoping to make big money too? :P

err ... why would you want to make so much gold in wow? all you really need gold for is repairs, some gems and enchants when you get new gear. never understood all this greed for gold
    BETA CLUB