Nvidia Control Panel AA

I was testing out some graphical settings and remember that Nvidia had an Antialiasing setting in the control panel. I set the application to Override WoW's, and set the setting to 4x.
    I started up WoW to see if it did anything, but it did not (when I set WoW's setting down to 1x, that is). Is there any way to make the Nvidia control panel's antialiasing work with WoW?

In WoW the AA setting is called multisampling. But the real question is, why you would want to override it from drivers? Unless there's really good reason to do otherwise, you should always let game control AA/AF settings.

Only valid reason that I can come up with is that you're playing so old games that they have no AA/AF at all or only very low modes available, and forcing those manually would improve picture quality. For WoW that is not the case.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'm gonna bump this one up just because it covers exactly my problem, even if it's a month old.

I came across this trying to reduce my WOW-related memory usage. If i can get WOW to run at 1xAA/1xAS and use nvidia to bump that amount up, I thought perhaps that might reduce the memory issue with WOW at very high graphic settings

That and, the CP can go to much higher numbers... which helps since I play ~4 feet away from a 32" TV... pixels are a bit larger and more noticable then it it were on a 22/24"

Anyone know what you need to do to get nVidia Control Panel to work with WOW again? I checked the nvidia service to make sure it's up and running.. and all my tests involved (Setting change) (start/test in wow) (close wow) (next setting) (start wow again) ... etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    I came across this trying to reduce my WOW-related memory usage. If i can get WOW to run at 1xAA/1xAS and use nvidia to bump that amount up, I thought perhaps that might reduce the memory issue with WOW at very high graphic settings
    Setting AA/AF from game or from Nvidia control panel makes no difference whatsoever to memory usage. Turning it higher requires more RAM and more processing speed from graphics card, neither of these settings care one bit about your CPU. WoW allows you to set AA up to 8x and AF up to 16x which are probably high enough for majority of users. 8xAA is already too slow for any graphics cards below $300 price, and visual quality when you go up from 4x to 8 or 16 changes very little.

That and, the CP can go to much higher numbers... which helps since I play ~4 feet away from a 32" TV... pixels are a bit larger and more noticable then it it were on a 22/24"
    Yep, that is a problem when playing games like WoW on big screen TV's that aren't real HD quality. Small details like text look shit and pixels are too big. Using FullHD TV would improve situation significantly. Or the proper 24" computer monitor which is meant for high resolution graphics unlike cheap TVs.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

actually it is an HD TV >.> a good one at that (at least it was when I bought it 2 years ago.. Sony XBR6).. Everything comes out perfect down to the text.. the only issue is up close with AA/AF issues.. I seem to notice it the most at character select

Anyway, I just wanted to try and bump up graphics without touching the CPU, my graphics card never goes over 50% usage, while my CPU's cap out when im recording... figured it'd be a good move to make for quality without CPU play

Everything comes out perfect down to the text.. the only issue is up close with AA/AF issues.. I seem to notice it the most at character select
    Do you see the difference between 4x and 8x AA in game? Shouldn't make much difference unless you're playing at very low resolution.

Anyway, the character textures of WoW, especially the old races are really bad, and will look shit on big screen. Especially if you have texture quality set to low.
    Trolling should be.