beginner to overclocking

so....i have this killer system. i bought the parts specifically so i could OC after i had all the little stuff set how i wanted it.

so this is why im posting. any "reliable" websites or i guess tutorials on how to do this without blowing up my pc? im not looking for some serious overclocking, just light to moderate tinkering. any advice, tips, tricks, experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated.

currently running an i5 2500k, msi nvidia geforce 560 titanium, asus p8p67 mobo. 700w modular psu. 8g (2x4) ram. stock heat sink (hence why i only want to lightly oc for now).

also forgot to add MSI software comes with it's own programs for overclocking and, im assuming, testing. MSI afterburner and Kombuster.

You can OC with stock heatsinks on the new generation Intel i5's because they have an internal heat sink that dissipates heat pretty well from what i've read.

Actually, people are getting the 2500k up to 4GHz on the stock cooler. That CPU is simply amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
    also forgot to add MSI software comes with it's own programs for overclocking and, im assuming, testing. MSI afterburner and Kombuster.
    That's for the GPU, not the CPU, though.
    I assumed you wanted to overclock the CPU?
    Although.
    Overclocking the GPU isn't that hard. Just up the core clock in afterburner some, then up the memory-clock. Kombustor is the stress-test ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Have lost all links to good threads.

But you should flash the BIOS to the latest one. In one of the updates they enabled setting internal PLL overvoltage.

AI overclock tuner: Manual
    Base clock: 100.0
    Turbo ratio: By all cores (/by per core, whichever floats)
    Ratio limit: Start out with say... 42! (Resulting in 4.2 Ghz)

Internal PLL overvoltage: on

CPU power saving mode: Off
    Load Line Calibration: Ultra high
    Phase Control: Extreme
    Dutry Control: Extreme
    CPU current capability: 100%

CPU Voltage controls: Manual. (It will presumably still push lower voltage while idling)
    CPU Voltage: Will vary from chip to chip. A good guess would be that 4.2 GHz will be stable on 1.200 V

Then it's just run Prime, intel burn test and all other software designed to simply burn the CPU to see if you get a BSOD or not (AND YOU MUST CHECK YOUR TEMPS!). If you do, you return to settings and up your voltage.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-02-12 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    That's for the GPU, not the CPU, though.
    I assumed you wanted to overclock the CPU?
    Although.
    Overclocking the GPU isn't that hard. Just up the core clock in afterburner some, then up the memory-clock. Kombustor is the stress-test ^^
    yeah i wasn planning on overclocking both =P probably my ram too.

for the record...

it's pretty hard to "blow up your PC" by overclocking

don't be too scared to try. As long as you know how to reset your board to stock settings, then there's really not much to worry about. You can do quite a bit without touching voltages, and over voltages are what cause permanent problems like fried memory.
    Current System - Ultra Budget <$550 (Reused: 19" monitor, KB and mouse)
    Case: Xion Echo $50 PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D $50
    Win 7 OEM: $99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $45
    CPU/MB Combo: MSI 880GMA-E45 / Phenom II x3 720 2.8 (OC 3.5) $150
    GPU: MSI R5670 CYCLONE 1G Radeon HD 5670 $89
    Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 (pc10666) $45
    DVD Burner: Asus 24x $18
    - update: 2/16/11 added Hyper 212 CPU Cooler $30