Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW Ultra and my monthly useage

Hey guys. I'm not the most techy person, so I was wondering...

Does WoW use up the same amount of usage (12GB per month) on ultra detail than it does on a low detail? The reason I seem to be thinking this is because that all of WoW is already on my computer, and why should it have to use more usage when I already have the specific files when it's used on ultra than when it's used on low detail and doesn't use as many specific files. ( I could be completely wrong here)

Please help, because I'm sick of using low detail because I don't want to be net capped.

The level of detail is purely on your computer's end.
    The amount of data transfered to/from server is the same regardless of graphics setting.

Further view distance cost more bandwitdth, since you need more data to render more players/mobs on your screen. Correct me if Im not right.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Further view distance cost more bandwitdth, since you need more data to render more players/mobs on your screen. Correct me if Im not right.
    Your not right, thats not how it works.

Lowering video settings (especially view distance) has the added benefit of lowering the amount of data your connection is asked to convey, as well, so even that can be a valid troubleshooting step.
    Off the front page... That seems to suggest that you use more on higher settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UunaPriest View Post
    The level of detail is purely on your computer's end.
    The amount of data transfered to/from server is the same regardless of graphics setting.
    Completely example numbers -

So if I was to play for 10minutes with all other variables the same; it would use 5Mb of my usage on Ultra, and would be EXACTLY the same on the lowest detail possible?

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    No. You will need that information from server regardless of the fact if you need to paint the players/mobs on your screen.

---------- Post added 2011-02-14 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Berteh View Post
    Completely example numbers -

So if I was to play for 10minutes with all other variables the same; it would use 5Mb of my usage on Ultra, and would be EXACTLY the same on the lowest detail possible?
    Yes, exactly.

Why on earth would you think otherwise Oo

Deleted
    the textures and skins and sounds and most everything are stored on the client... having them online would result in much longer loading times when zoning, etc. gameplay would be pretty annoying - not only would you have to access or initially download them, but constant checks with the server to see if they have been updated, etc.

don't worry about it - set it to max and enjoy the world...

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to not believe my gut feelings without proof if I'm oblivious to the knowledge required to answer it lol.

Thanks so much for clearing this up!

Blue posts in front page say that view distance will affect the amount of data transfered, which was news to me also. I've always thought it's tied to combat log range, not view range. So yes, there is a difference in bandwidth if you drop view distance setting, but nothing else in video options should make any difference.

Also, WoW will not use anywhere close to 12GB/month while playing, maybe 1% of that, but patching might.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

@ Hinaaja and Nijada

Lowering video settings (especially view distance) has the added benefit of lowering the amount of data your connection is asked to convey, as well, so even that can be a valid troubleshooting step.
    Then would you care to elaborate what the blue post on the front page means by this statement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caer View Post
    @ Hinaaja and Nijada

Then would you care to elaborate what the blue post on the front page means by this statement?
    well, with higher view distance, you can see more objects (such as players). players move do stuff, meaning you need to know what they are doing in order to see them.. correct? that causes more traffic.. however, it should really barely be noticable on your monthly bill.

that's probably directed more towards people that run on a 56k modem and just dont have the bandwidth.

Home/World latency in Patch 4.0.6
    It is the first blue post on the front page at the moment.
    that quote is right after the numbered list

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    No. You will need that information from server regardless of the fact if you need to paint the players/mobs on your screen.
    Actually, he's semi-right. Lower view distance means less objects / npcs in sight range which means that server has to send info about less objects.
    I thought it's pretty obvious...
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijada View Post
    Your not right, thats not how it works.
    You can test it easily with bandwidth meters like DUmeter. Basically, higher view distance = more object/NPCs rendered on yourscreen, thus more bandwidth required. Your game client needs to double-check objects info with realm servers constantly to make sure things go right, no cheating involved etc. etc. In raid its almost always the same regardless though (dunno why, just got same peak bandwidth usage every raid).

The rest of your video settings should make no different.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2011-02-14 at 09:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a very minimal amount. Playing WoW 7hours+ a day usually results in ~700mb of internet usage (that includes random webpages, redtube and such)

Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    well, with higher view distance, you can see more objects (such as players). players move do stuff, meaning you need to know what they are doing in order to see them.. correct? that causes more traffic.. however, it should really barely be noticable on your monthly bill.

that's probably directed more towards people that run on a 56k modem and just dont have the bandwidth.
    Not just for people with crappy settings. increasing view range from 50 yards to 100 yards adds about 25550 square yards of space in which crap can happen and the server would tell your client.

(Yes I know that number is a bit off I rounded and used 3.14 for pi)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kcsaenz View Post
    Not just for people with crappy settings. increasing view range from 50 yards to 100 yards adds about 25550 square yards of space in which crap can happen and the server would tell your client.

(Yes I know that number is a bit off I rounded and used 3.14 for pi)
    yeah, i know the difference in area.. dont forget tho, 3d... its more of a sphere (depending on where you are) ...

theres not too much info thats being sent afaik, but still an increase. if you really want to save that bandwidth, just dont hang around a capitol city or any place with stuff going on...

Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    yeah, i know the difference in area.. dont forget tho, 3d... its more of a sphere (depending on where you are) ...

theres not too much info thats being sent afaik, but still an increase. if you really want to save that bandwidth, just dont hang around a capitol city or any place with stuff going on...
    I intentional left off height because I have noticed your vertical view distance is shorter than horizontal. you also have to remember that its not just location that's sent. there is info for models and skins of each item every player is wearing. but in the end the best thing you can do to lower usage is not spam random spells or hang out in populated cities and log out when afk. Oh yeah and dont mouse over people inspect people or click links in chat.

Actually I don't think any circles or spheres are used here. Calculating real distance is quite costly so most games use coordinates difference as distance. Which usually results in square / cube like area.

However with online games / MMOs it's even more simplified. Whole terrain is divided into small cube-like regions. Server, instead of calculating and comparing distance between each mob and a player, simply sends info about all objects within certain amount of nearby regions. It.s much faster and easier on the CPU

You can see this while flying, when area in front of you seems empty for a few seconds and then suddenly mobs appear all over it. All at the same time, not 1 by 1.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.