Poll: Prot Warriors --- Do you use HEROIC STRIKE anymore?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thumbs up Prot Warriors --- Do you use HEROIC STRIKE anymore?

Since the patch, I find Heroic Strike:

1. Lowers my damage output
    2. Lowers my threat
    3. Depletes my rage fully when used with Inner Rage

I have actually spec'd out of Heroic Strike related talents, and seem to have a much easier time tanking.

Before the patch, I had "/cast heroic strike" in my dps macro, and pretty much had it go off every CD. After the patch, I find heroic strike completely useless (even as a rage dump), since the damage output and threat generation is minimal. If I use my excess rage to steadily spam devastate on every CD, then I get more shield slams off, and in the end --- I do more dps and threat.

Please only take the POLL if you are a serious raiding Prot Warrior (top 1000 on wowprogress).

Honestly, I have to wonder if you're being serious..

On the majority of raid boss fights, if ignoring heroic strike, you would be swimming in more rage than you could make use of.

Heck most fights where there isn't better application for inner rage (e.g saving for add spawns), there's /plenty/ of rage to allow using it on CD. >.>
    Last edited by Vyssele; 2011-02-14 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyssele View Post
    Honestly, I have to wonder if you're being serious..

On the majority of raid boss fights, if ignoring heroic strike, you would be swimming in more rage than you could make use of.

Heck most fights without better application for inner rage, there's /plenty/ of rage to allow using it on CD. >.>
    If I always have full rage (because I do not Heroic Strike) than my devastates and shield slams always go off on CD. If I use Heroic Strike at all, I risk delaying devastate or shield slam, which in turn, lowers dps and threat gen. This is my main point.

Heroic Strike is off the global CD, and it does not trigger a Global CD, so you never risk delaying a shield slam, or a devastate, unless you get down to zero rage, and the reason you're getting rage starved when using inner rage, and spamming heroic strike, is because they've redesigned inner rage. When you now use inner rage, your heroic strike CD is reduced by 50% wich allows you to spam heroic strike twice as fast.

Personally, I allways use Heroic Strike, and inner rage for rage dump while tanking bosses.

Its a rage dump, pure and simple. Anyone tanking a raid boss has rage to spare and should hit Heroic Strike. A growing trend is to macro Heroic Strike and Inner Rage together.

Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    If I always have full rage (because I do not Heroic Strike) than my devastates and shield slams always go off on CD. If I use Heroic Strike at all, I risk delaying devastate or shield slam, which in turn, lowers dps and threat gen. This is my main point.
    Well, it very rarely works out like that for me, because I'm only using Heroic Strike as intended; as a rage dump, then Inner rage when I'm absolutly rolling in rage, OR when I want the extra burst threat (e.g using IR every add spawn on Cho'gall). Rather than spamming it on CD like you have (Basing that on what you said about macro'd Heroic Strike). Yes there is a few fights where theres enough rage to be using Heroic Strike on CD, but not all of course.

Besides, even with 3/3 Incite, Heroic Strike is still hitting considerably harder than Devastate.

With the change to inner rage I've seen warrior tanks 'abusing' it with their practically infinite rage and spamming heroic strike. Easily nearly doubling their dps.

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    With the change to inner rage I've seen warrior tanks 'abusing' it with their practically infinite rage and spamming heroic strike. Easily nearly doubling their dps.
    Yup, its really insane.

I been trying to use it for cleave spam during large pulls but I always forget to hit inner rage while im on trash =/

At the start of a raid encounter there's really no way i could hold threat without it, i tend to always hit berserker rage and inner rage together to help generate more rage to use it, and i typically start off an encounter with shield block which brings me up to a 75% blockchance(i get alot of overflow) with such massive rage gain i can easily spam it nonstop, i had no problems with continuously hitting it during chogall last night, as long as i was tanking chogall anyways. Heroic strike was my second on damage under devastate however i am still 0/3 incite at the moment.

bump to the top
    Last edited by superdooper; 2011-02-14 at 06:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol? Did you really just bump a thread that was replied too 10 minutes prior to your bump and was still halfway down the first page?
    Don't bump threads. Especially not like that, that's just silly.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    ive bound HC strike to Devastate, so yes, yes i do, its a good move

Quote Originally Posted by Big Law View Post
    Yup, its really insane.

I been trying to use it for cleave spam during large pulls but I always forget to hit inner rage while im on trash =/
    Yea... the aoe dps our warrior tank does now on trash is ridiculous by spamming cleave.

Bumping isn't going to get you the replies you want. HS is still more than worth using, and not doing so is just foolish.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

all i have to ask is:
    if you arnt going to use HS anymore what do you do when your sitting at full rage? let it go to waste? may as well get the extra bit of damage and threat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    You should work on your rage management. There is no reason not to use Heroic Strike, just as there's no reason overusing it.

With full Vengence stacks and the amount of rage I am generating, I wish Inner Rage had a shorter CD.

Use it every single cooldown, but we're talking raid bosses here, not heroics.

There is absolutely no way HS can lower your DPS unless your rage management is appalling. If you're doing heroics where rage income isn't as high then use it when you have enough rage, simples.

It still parses as my biggest source of DPS even with the changes, and the new IR is fantastic. It's not like raid tanks are particularly rage starved!

[Edit]: Actually, do me a favour and link your latest WoL, I'm keen to have a nosey.
    Last edited by Torture; 2011-02-14 at 07:21 PM.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Deleted
    I've speced out of Incite now and spent it on other more AoE-centric talents such as Thunderstuck and Main Tank-saving abilities such as Safeguard. I still use Heroic Strike, but I'm not as eager to throw one off unless I'm swimming in rage.

I guess my main problem is that until now, I've had Heroic Strike within a dps macro:

/cast heroic strike
    /cast devastate

And IMO, this was the most efficient way to tank until the last patch. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to move heroic strike to it's own keybinding, and make a new macro like:

/cast inner rage
    /cast heroic strike

and then make a power aura that goes active for 75+ rage or something.

Of course, if I have vengeance stacks there is never a problem with rage. However, I'm not wanting to make another keybinding for tanking dps, as I already have 18 keybindings (half of them being macros). I also raid lead most of the time, and throwing in an extra button to the rotation takes away from calling out spell effects, etc..

So I guess what I'm wondering is: Do most tanks have 2 different dps macros (1 with heroic strike & devastate and 1 with just devastate)? Or do they have a devastate macro and heroic strike macro? Or do they have 1 dps macro (with heroic strike embedded)?
    Last edited by superdooper; 2011-02-14 at 08:02 PM.