Poll: Prot Warriors --- Do you use HEROIC STRIKE anymore?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've always frowned upon bumdling skills together into macros, it just cuts out the ability to optimise on the fly, and our rotation isn't the most complex (certainly not the easiest, but we're not exactly ICC kitty durids either!)

I have HS bound to 'mouse wheel down' and always have. In ICC I was constantly spinning my mousewheel, because that landed more HS than binding it to other skills. In Cata on raid bosses I'm normally still spinning my mouse wheel because rage is no issue, but the moment there is a drop in rage income (offtank taunts on Chimaeron, the duration of the channelled breath on Valiona etc) I'm ready to simply stop spinning and pursue a more 'normal' rotation, fitting in the odd click of HS if I can. Then rage generation increases and Ima spinning away again.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Indeed. as most people have stated; Its still the best rage dump ever and off the CD so you dont have to worry about missing your procs.
    Personally i have HS and Cleave bound to mouse buttons so i can click em as often as I need to without burning excess rage if they're tied into a macro.
    If anything HS has become more useful since the patch due to Inner Rage. I found myself popping this every time i hit 100rage and HS the shit outta a boss, while still keeping up my normal revenge/shieldslam procs

Deleted
    If you aren't using heroic strike you're giving up on more damage than any Blizzard nerf could ever do.

Use it but DO NOT macro it, as that will be a stupid thing to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    I guess my main problem is that until now, I've had Heroic Strike within a dps macro:

/cast heroic strike
    /cast devastate

And IMO, this was the most efficient way to tank until the last patch. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to move heroic strike to it's own keybinding, and make a new macro like:

/cast inner rage
    /cast heroic strike

and then make a power aura that goes active for 75+ rage or something.

Of course, if I have vengeance stacks there is never a problem with rage. However, I'm not wanting to make another keybinding for tanking dps, as I already have 18 keybindings (half of them being macros). I also raid lead most of the time, and throwing in an extra button to the rotation takes away from calling out spell effects, etc..

So I guess what I'm wondering is: Do most tanks have 2 different dps macros (1 with heroic strike & devastate and 1 with just devastate)? Or do they have a devastate macro and heroic strike macro? Or do they have 1 dps macro (with heroic strike embedded)?
    My idea was to have two different action bars, one for trash with the devastate + HS macro, and another bar with the inner rage + heroic strike bound separately from devastate.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: Do most tanks have 2 different dps macros (1 with heroic strike & devastate and 1 with just devastate)? Or do they have a devastate macro and heroic strike macro? Or do they have 1 dps macro (with heroic strike embedded)?
    Pretty sure most tanks push skills, not macros. If you want to use Heroic Strike, push the heroic strike button. If you want to use Devastate, push the devastate key.

Deleted
    I've never used macros for HS in this expansion and I am a firm believer that it will limit your options, introducing unwanted RNG with your rage generation. Actually, if people really are using macros for binding IR and HS on the same, I'm not at all surprised they are having the occasional rage problem. There are moments when I absolutely do not want to push IR, in several fights of the current content because if I do, I will run out of rage with one HS. Definitely suggest you put IR and HS in different buttons and learn to multitask a bit. It isn't hard really, just need to be aware of your boss's mechanics and timers.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Devastate should be the last button you press in your rotation. In a raid your gonna have more rage then you know what to do with, HS + Inner Rage on peek rage spots you'll get a lot out of HS spam. You should probably think about having all your spells on it's own keybind, CD's combined together in a macro is fine (depending on the CD) but I've found spells are best kept by themselves. If your using Inner Rage at the worst times in a macro with HS, that's your problem. Only use Inner Rage when you know your gonna have rage to burn.

Inner Rage no longer requires you to have 75+ rage.

At first, I wanted to answer gently, and then I saw this :
    Please only take the POLL if you are a serious raiding Prot Warrior (top 1000 on wowprogress).
    So what, people who dont top Wow progress are not worthy the discussion ? Dick move, if you ask me.

Moving on.
    Unbind HS. Use it efficiently. I'm bathing in rage, and I really dont see how you could "delay" SS or Devastate by using HS, unless you are spamming it 100% of the time, which would be dumb.

Good use of HS and Cleave is the signature of good warriors.

I made a macro to use Devastate and HS. I hardly have rage issues myself.

Deleted
    I will never understand why people macro Heroic Strike to random abilities, or Devastate as some has stated. It makes no sense. None at all. You lose control over your rage, you must spam the random ability you macroed HS to to use it, meaning you'll end up queueing too many Devastates... It's the ability we use the most, how can one not just bind it?

I would recommend binding HS to mousewheel scroll up or down [I have HS up, Cleave down]. It's easy, shouldn't get in the way of other abilities and saves you from carpal tunnel.

You could auto attack and hold threat after 10 seconds at this point in the game, so I dont see why you are even worried about whether you delay a single gcd by 'wasting' rage on heroic strike.

Quote Originally Posted by thedankson View Post
    I would recommend binding HS to mousewheel scroll up or down [I have HS up, Cleave down]. It's easy, shouldn't get in the way of other abilities and saves you from carpal tunnel.
    I only use my mouse for rotating my character in certain circumstances.... I use my arrows for movement, and the following for macros/spells: 1-9, CTRL+1-9, SHFT+1-9, and every other button on the numpad...

---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    So what, people who dont top Wow progress are not worthy the discussion ? Dick move, if you ask me.
    I wanted to find out how tanks that have seen most of the heroic raid content are handling their heroic strikes...so yes....my point is valid. I don't care how tanks use heroic strike in normal raid content or heroic 5-mans..... Tanks that are raiding heroics take more damage, so I wanted to learn if they can simply spam HS with the amount of rage generation they are receiving...and to learn how often they use inner rage...

You can use WoL, etc to get a good idea of what the best tanks do. Posting on mmo-champion and then asking for only the elite tanks to give their advice will never go over well.

Also, the top tanks that have seen the most heroic content use a mouse and HS very often.

Get more keybindings, don't macro everything.
    I do use a macro myself for inner rage though, i don't see the point in not doing it like i do, it's coupled with berserker rage.

I think that many have simply forgot what berserker rage does, and what the cooldown is.

I only use my mouse for rotating my character in certain circumstances.... I use my arrows for movement, and the following for macros/spells: 1-9, CTRL+1-9, SHFT+1-9, and every other button on the numpad...

---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 09:35 PM ----------

I wanted to find out how tanks that have seen most of the heroic raid content are handling their heroic strikes...so yes....my point is valid. I don't care how tanks use heroic strike in normal raid content or heroic 5-mans..... Tanks that are raiding heroics take more damage, so I wanted to learn if they can simply spam HS with the amount of rage generation they are receiving...and to learn how often they use inner rage...
    Why can't you just test it out yourself when you kill heroic bosses? It doesn't really matter what works for other people since they are not you. There is no greater teacher than personal experience.
    Rahjj (Human Paladin) Zul'Jin US

Last name: Ever. First name: Worst.

So you ARE trolling? OP was just a joke too? - Not telling you how to play, but one of the good quality of a warrior is mobility. How do you use heroic leap and run at the same time? But i only has 2 hands :s

As many already has mentioned; Use it often. Don't macro it with other spells (can work with berserker rage. Fearing isnt an issue yet ). Sure as hell don't macro it with inner rage.

Edit: I have to add: After the hs/cleave nerf my dps dropped from 12k to 10k fighting Valiona & Theralion. But i wasn't using inner rage properly.
    Last edited by Dakkomakko; 2011-02-16 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahjj View Post
    Why can't you just test it out yourself when you kill heroic bosses? It doesn't really matter what works for other people since they are not you. There is no greater teacher than personal experience.
    I am just coming back from a long break from LK and have not started raiding seriously yet --- thus, have not seen heroic raid content (only regular raid content). And I wanted to find out if HS was spammable on Heroic Raid bosses, and if so, can you also keep IR constantly spammed. If this is the case, I do not have to worry about my current setup, however, if HS is no longer spammable at the top raiding tier (because of rage issues), then I'll have to rethink my keybindings.

And a small note to everyone commenting: Why the heck would you not have HS bound to a dps spell before this last patch (since there were never any rage issues)???

And a second small note: If you don't use a ton of macros....please don't consider yourself a good player...!?!?

Deleted
    Is this thread actually for real?

If you do the normal SS > Rev > Dev on a combat dummy you will probably fill your rage bar eventually.

No, delaying your SS > Rev > Dev because you used all your rage is obviously not good, but it's just as bad as never using the rage. You do not need to be in a "top 1000" guild to understand filling your rage bar is just a waste --- just like completely draining it is.

All "top 1000" Warriors would tell you to use HS when you have too much rage and not to use it if your rage pool is low.

We have no less rage now than what we had pre-patch. Inner Rage only reduces the cooldown of Heroic Strike and does not in any way decrease the amount of rage you have. It's the most simple of concepts; if you have too much rage, use the rage dump. That's all there's to it.