Deleted

keyboard upgrade

Hey just wanting to hear peoples honest opinions and experiences with the sidewinder x6

suggestions on alternatives are welcome

(uk prices btw)

Thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    I really thought about buying that keyboard when mine died

The only thing that turned me off was the (space bar length) I'm wrong, space bar is normal on right side:

Compared to the Logitech G110 that I bought:

Even for the G110 which has a bit larger gap between left Ctrl and the macro keys, I found myself constantly aligning my pinky with the lower left macro key as opposed to the Ctrl key, and I'd imagine the sidewinder would be worse.

All-in-all; a keyboard is a keyboard, most all will function the exact same unless they are mechanical, in which case the keys will feel different. If you have a store with an X6 near you that you can go type on, do so. Other than that, you will adapt to it in ~2 weeks time. Go for one that has the features you want, is in your price range, and has an aesthetically appeasing look. If the sidewinder has all the features you want, then order it and I would bet that you will like it once getting used to it.

Mice are a whole other story though.

Edit: So, I'm retarded. I'm now very glad that I didn't purchase the G110 just because of the "space bar mishap" on the X6 (I purchased for the USB and headphone ports on the keyboard). Looking at those pictures I posted, I realize that the space bar left side is fine, it's the right side that's longer, and I don't ever used the right alt or ctrl keys.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-02-14 at 09:54 PM.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    thanks for the info, i think ill give the sidewinder a go and i'll post again with a bit of a review i think on how it performs.

ive got a decent mouse its a genius 535 most comfortable mouse i've ever used

I've been using a sidewinder x6 and a sidewinder mouse for a few years now and LOVE it. The keyboard is awesome and can handle abuse like a champ. I've spilled crap on it dropped and mishandled it in so many ways I can't explain. The detachable keypad is great for me too, I use a keyboard slide out tray on my desk and when I'm gaming I pull the numpad off to give me room to go nutz with my mouse. I actually keep the mouse sensitivity up pretty high so I don't really move it too much but having the extra room is nice. An accidental bump into a keyboard during a boss fight can be disastrous..... The sidewinder mouse is ok, it's been just good enough for me to not be able to find a suitable replacemant. I've bought a couple logitechs and the newest WoW steelseries mouse and keep going back to the sidewinder. I just got a Razer Imperator today, it's closest in size to the sidewinder that I've found. Gonna try it out tonight and see, I've just been needing those extra buttons and the sidewinder has been getting a bit sketchy with the tracking lately..... We'll see, but I highly reccomend the Keyboard. I've had the keys popped out to clean up spills so many times it's ridiculous this thing hasn't gone out. I have no idea what I can replace it with when it eventually gives up on me or just gets pissed at me for drowning it so many times ..... Oh yeah and the backlighting is some of the best I've seen on any keyboard, only get red but if that's your color your golden.

I'm using the G110 right now, honestly i give it a 6/10 only because the lights are not working, the M1,M2,M3 buttons worked for a total of 2 weeks. If you game for more than 10+ hours a week, this isnt a good keyboard for you. For the price, your better of getting a Razer Lycosa, or the new razer one [cant remember the name].

As a side note, (this is just a preference), i rather have the non-bulky keys, ones that don't jump out.