Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtusk View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question for you. I'm currently at 340 iLvl (Don't hate me, I've been slacking ever since release.) and I need to know if I should buy some gear, gems, enchants, etc. or buy my Vial of the Sands. I was in BWD tonight and some guildies kept complaining because I didn't have the proper gear. I have roughly 23k, (I don't have the vendor mats or truegold yet) and would really love the mount because I'm a mount whore, but I don't want to let my guildies down. What should I do?

Stop being scrubby and get the gear imo. bosses dead=more gear= leetness. A mount on the otherhand you can get months from now, you wanna be on of them people 2-3 content patches behind everyone else? no one ever likes to be THAT GUY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Up to you really...mount is forever and will be easier to make later on, but the gear will be upgraded eventually...flip a coin?

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I remember flasks still sell, farm herbs, make flasks, sell for profit. It's quite nice. Do your daily transmute (truegold) if you're a transmute master. Farm some heroics for better gear, buy 1-2 cheap craftable epics, get reputations up and buy the reputation epics and you'll probably spend very little from your gold, so you could get both some gear and your mount in a short while. All you have to do is get off your ass and do some farming (mats for flasks and heroics for gear).
    Also, the lower level Cataclysm enchants are dirt cheap, and the gems are also ridiculously cheap, it takes very little effort to get your gear to a raiding level.

Why yes, I do have too much time on my hands... how did you guess?

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Fuck your guildies, you pay $15 bucks a month to do what you want to do, not what they want you to do.

So go ahead, get the mount.
    It's your $15/month but its their $135 or $360 a month for 25 mans. If he's holding them back because of gear then it becomes an issue for everybody. Of course if it becomes too much of an issue, they can probably just find someone to replace him. But if he's a RL friend and they can't just bench him, then his $15/month is messing with theirs, especially if they're trying to progress in pve, but have to wait for him to gear up.

10+ Year Old Account
    as far as i know most gear to get you raid ready is won tru heroics , and points. wile the only way to getting the mount is using gold to buy some mats, i dont see what one has to do wit the other , buy the mount and run heroics to get gear and points for more gear. the amount of gold to get "decent" gems and enchants is minimal to the amount of gold you need to make the mount

yes you can have it all

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Not to be rude, but if I was a raid leader and saw that you didn't gem or enchant any of your gear and you wanted to raid I wouldn't let you in until you fixed yourself.
    This, ESPECIALLY if you let it slip in guild that you just got this awesome expensive mount. So even if you did choose the mount, you couldn't enjoy it. Imagine that conversation:

"Hey Stormtusk, can you help me with this quest for my alt?"
    "Sure!"
    <fly>
    "Umm.... hi.... why are you a gold drake? I thought you were too poor to gem or enchant anything?"
    "Crap."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not exactly like I'm holding them back, even with my shitty gear I come in top 4 on meters. Our whole server is an underpopulated scrub fest. We have barely any raiding guilds. I'm doing more damage than the guild leader, who's always somewhere near the bottom even with full gems/enchants/epics.

Deleted
    Only piece of gear i bought was Darkmoon Card:Tsunami because it's just an awesome trinket. The rest is fairly easy to get, you can get to 346 ilevel without buying anything.

However, gemming and enchanting comes first. Plus it's fairly cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear > Mount. That is my rule of thumb. Well, gear > almost everything else.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My mount will last forever, but my gear will be replaced next patch.

I bought mine for 60k. I had a lot of disposable income. Do some dailies U_U, and get some good professions. A character of mine is an alchemist..and I made roughly 25k in 1 week. Granted, I basically owned the whole flask market at the time. A few hours of farming got me 25,000 gold.

OT: Gear for sure.

Deleted
    It pains me when I see people recommending dailies or flasks as a way to earn gold.
    OT: Get the mount, gear is incredibly easy to get and will last another 2 months tops before you have to upgrade everything.

It's not exactly like I'm holding them back, even with my shitty gear I come in top 4 on meters. Our whole server is an underpopulated scrub fest. We have barely any raiding guilds. I'm doing more damage than the guild leader, who's always somewhere near the bottom even with full gems/enchants/epics.
    Top 4 on meters in what? 10mans? 25mans? 5mans? Guild leader is in full cata epics or wotlk epics, pve epics or pvp epics? Got numbers, like your average dps on boss fights? Top 4 on meters could mean anything. The top 3 in a 10man could be doing 20k dps and 4th and 5th do 9k and 8k dps, and you'd be in the top 4 with just 9k dps.

I find it hard to believe that a guild leader would be in full cata epics and come in last place on dps, behind someone in ilvl 340 gear. He is either a tank or just ebayed his character.
    Last edited by itsthemoops; 2011-02-16 at 03:22 AM.

Get your gear and raid. The mount will go down in price when guilds have the vendor discount perk along with saturation of Truegold and Flasks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear lasts a tier. Awesome mounts last forever.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    It pains me when I see people recommending dailies or flasks as a way to earn gold.
    OT: Get the mount, gear is incredibly easy to get and will last another 2 months tops before you have to upgrade everything.
    I'm not sure why you say that. I've had and excess amount of gold since Burning Crusade. If you want enough gold to have a Vial of the Sands, and Enchanting mats for gear, etc, that's exactly what you should do.

Edit...I could have said "Buy gold"
    Last edited by Nicolette; 2011-02-16 at 03:22 AM.

All depends if you are in a hardcore guild or not. Since I've got my gear fixed at the moment, I'm working towards the mount. In my opinion, gear comes and goes. You should get the gears of the Heroics and the enchants aren't too expensive. Just don't go for the non Maelstrom Enchants. Bind on Equips aren't worth it. Unless they are craftable and the materials are cheap.
    Last edited by TheTwistedRaven; 2011-02-16 at 03:27 AM.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly... If you want to raid and your gear isnt up to par. You should be buying gear.

If you are "Meh" on raiding, then go buy the mount.

I am a raid leader and if I knew one of the under performing, under geared players expected a raid spot and then went and brought an expensive mount, when there are boe's he could buy, enchants (im not talking about Landslide or anything...but decent enchants) and gems he hasnt got... he would be getting a guild kick.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2011-02-16 at 03:26 AM.

My mount will last forever, but my gear will be replaced next patch.
    Mount will last forever, but it's gonna be hard to replace gear when you can't get into raids because your undergeared.

Mount lasts forever, gear will be useless soon.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.