Need advice on upgrades (low-end computer/budget)

First of all, sorry if my english is not so good , I speak a foreign language ^^

Ok so here's the story; I use a very low end computer to game at the moment and im kind of struggling to play games smooth now and I was considering upgrading some parts if it was possible . I have never built a computer and all of that, so really, i'm a noob. I"d really need some advice on what to upgrade and what to do.

I don't have a lot of money on hand, I have around 250$ at the moment and won't be able to put more on hardware or a new computer until at least 6 months so yeah.. !

Here are my specs at the moment:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21ghz
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Memory: 1 gig (yeah i know..)
    GFX: Nvidia 7600GT

So basically, what should I upgrade first to do better at running some games ? (WoW, CoD and such) ? Thanks a lot ^^

Memory (for total of 3GB+) and GFX card, seems a waste to invest money in it tho, maybe just go with additional memory first and wait 6 months to change rest.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

What kind of resolution are you looking at, playing in?
    800x600
    1366x768
    1280x1024
    1920x1080
    et c?

Currently it's at 1440x900 ?

And thanks wrom, guess I'll have to check that out, and is there any gfx-card that would be in that price range ? or would I be better off to spend more on the memory and try to get a cheaper GFX card ?
    Last edited by Beastskills; 2011-02-17 at 04:07 AM.

I hate to say it but...

that 939 socket is very dead. That pretty much will eliminate any hope of salvaging that rig. You'll need a new MB, which means new memory and PSU. That GFX card will only support directX 9, so you'll want to step up there too.

You could get a motherboard and CPU combo. Get one with an onboard GFX chip set, and you'd be better off than you are now. Then add some memory. Because of the on board GFX, you current power supply should be able to handle the small load.

Not sure where you're from or what kind of stores/websites you have access to but
    here's one from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.591630 $214
    then add memory to that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134718 $45

when you've got some more cash, get a new power supply and gfx card.

your basically going to put a whole new computer into your old case.
    Current System - Ultra Budget <$550 (Reused: 19" monitor, KB and mouse)
    Case: Xion Echo $50 PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D $50
    Win 7 OEM: $99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $45
    CPU/MB Combo: MSI 880GMA-E45 / Phenom II x3 720 2.8 (OC 3.5) $150
    GPU: MSI R5670 CYCLONE 1G Radeon HD 5670 $89
    Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 (pc10666) $45
    DVD Burner: Asus 24x $18
    - update: 2/16/11 added Hyper 212 CPU Cooler $30

Best recommendation is above. Get a motherboard/cpu combo with integrated intel hd graphics. They are "decent". They even compare and do better than some low end dedicated card.

Good thing about going this route is you will be able to upgrade later on, where as if u get more ram now etc, you will need to get a new system later since you will just be patching it.