[Holy] Looking pretty good right now in PvE

I was just doing a bit of reflecting on recent changes and the state of things, and wondered if you guys agreed that things are looking pretty good for holy paladins at the moment.

The increased mana costs don't seem to have hit particularly hard. I can certainly run out of mana if I play sloppily or things go badly, but it doesn't happen very often and when it does, I typically know why, and I think that's exactly where we should be. That nasty Light of Dawn/Beacon nerf got reverted (I still think it's a bit strange that it was considered an unintended side-effect of a bug fix, yet was posted in the hotfix notes as if it was intentional, but whatever) so we dodged a bullet there. We look good compared to other healing classes, we have a secure spot in raids, gear generally seems pretty well itemized for us (ok, some of the t11 pieces aren't great but they're not terrible) and I really can't think of anything major to complain about.

I just figured with all the recent turmoil, we could stand a bit of reflection and positivity around here. What do you guys think? Any major concerns, or are we in a good spot? Are we overpowered? See any nerfs coming in the forseeable future?

I'm in the same boat as you, I've not really noticed a difference with the increased mana costs - DP change offset it nicely. Unless something goes terribly wrong, I always have plenty of mana, it's very rare that I run OOM - then again, I never really had any problems adapting to the "new" playstyle at all since Cata hit.

I am ~355 iLevel geared, around 3200 "in combat" regen when raid buffed - again, no problems at all

I have only one "complaint" so far. I'd like to have mastery made a stat that I want to weigh against haste. I don't want it to be overpowered or our new go-to-secondary - I just want mastery to feel ... well mastery-y.

Other than that, I feel good with my paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahi View Post
    ^ This. I would be happy if they made our mastery worthwhile and nerfed us to balance that. Oh, and give Illuminated Healing a graphic! XD
    Agree, give it a graphic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahi View Post
    ^ This. I would be happy if they made our mastery worthwhile and nerfed us to balance that. Oh, and give Illuminated Healing a graphic! XD
    Agreed, make the mastery good and nerf us to compensate.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

The mastery thing... yeah, I mean, I suppose having all secondary stats be roughly equal in value would be nice but if there's a spec in the game for which that's the case, I'm not aware of it. Seems like there's always a dominant stat that everything else gets reforged into. I'd be hesitant to ask for a mastery buff and compensatory nerf that could potentially break a spec that's doing so well right now.

So yeah, point taken, but I'm not about to go asking for it.

Ya, I agree with the OP. I would also like for us to "want" our tier gear, aka buff mastery and maybe crit?

I feel like I appreciate Holy Light more now after the recent semi-nerf.
    I still run around with 114k mana and 18% regen every 2min so I still can't whine.

I like the class. Feels balanced both from a healing power and mana perspective. Disc priests on the other hand.... They need nerfing.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree, holy feels good right now. I don't wanna see a buff to mastery and see the class get broken, because right now it ain't broken so don't try to fix it. And at some point Mastery will come back to being helpful it isnt' just outright terrible, you just have no reason to stack it, I kind of like having it even if you don't have any mastery rating at all.

I do think the Tier gear itemization is just plain awful, and that the illumination should have a graphic.

Deleted
    I do like what they have done with Holy Paladins, though like i others i do not like Mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Agreed, make the mastery good and nerf us to compensate.
    Probably not be needed, as we'd be choosing between Haste/Mastery (if same stat weight) or balancing them. It'll make us no stronger/weaker than we are now. Only Different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight View Post
    Ishau is not quite right, if mastery and crit were comparable to haste for HPS gain, most holy paladins would gain HPS, since there aren't many of us who have managed to get a "perfect" gearset with no master or crit on it. The extent of the gain would determine whether nerfs would be needed.
    I did only mention Mastery, so my statement is correct. In a sence what i meant is that would gain the same HPS if an item had Mastery reforged to haste as you would if you had haste reforged to mastery.

Either way you angle it, the HPS would be the same is the stat weight for mastery and haste were the same.

An item has Intellect + Spirit + 1 other stat on it. If the item was Crit, it wouldn't matter whether that Crit was reforged to Mastery or Haste as the stat weight would be the same. If the item was Mastery, leaving it as it is or reforging to Haste would also produce the same, same as if it the item was Haste.

That is off coarse you gain the same haste per point as you would mastery.

It would just cause 2 different styles of playing the class, instead of everybody being forced to go down the same route because thats the only route thats viable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    I did only mention Mastery, so my statement is correct. In a sence what i meant is that would gain the same HPS if an item had Mastery reforged to haste as you would if you had haste reforged to mastery.

Either way you angle it, the HPS would be the same is the stat weight for mastery and haste were the same.

An item has Intellect + Spirit + 1 other stat on it. If the item was Crit, it wouldn't matter whether that Crit was reforged to Mastery or Haste as the stat weight would be the same. If the item was Mastery, leaving it as it is or reforging to Haste would also produce the same, same as if it the item was Haste.

That is off coarse you gain the same haste per point as you would mastery.

It would just cause 2 different styles of playing the class, instead of everybody being forced to go down the same route because thats the only route thats viable.
    Yes, but Tinyknight's point still stands - all of us have Crit and Mastery on our gear to some extent - none of us have a perfect ALL HASTE gearset.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I really hope they don't make crit one of our major stats.....holy paladins already where crit crazy for 3-4 years during WoW's lifetime, I mean it was nice since we got mana back everytime when we did have illumination proc back in the day.

I'm liking the haste route holy paladins are leaning towards, if they ever did buff mastery...I would be to concerned that it would make holy paladins healing too op, can you imagine if our mastery asorbed 6k-10k dmg?.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the overall feel and performance of the Paladin class. I do however have a few minor gripes.

I hate that Holy Radiance has such a high mana cost, yet I feel compelled to use it frequently during every hard mode we've attempted (save for Halfus; our disc priest takes care of it then).

I wish our tier weren't so badly itemized that even reforging everything to haste, you still have a buttload of crit and some Mastery on your gear AND you still lose out on haste.

Wearing tier vs non-tier feels like an agonizing deliberation (do I gain 300 crit to lose 300 haste, but gain the Spirit on HR? Do I cast HR enough to make it worth it? How much throughput am I losing by the haste loss, and can it be offset by being able to cast more spells), and maybe I'm biased, but I think tier should always be desirable.

Would be nice if Mastery were tweaked to be something worth considering.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-02-20 at 05:37 PM.