Concering case fans...

Hello, everyone!

I've noticed that my GPU is running a little on the hotter than I would like and am looking for a solution for it outside of getting an aftermarket GPU cooler.

My case is the Cooler Master Storm Sniper (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-194-_-Product) and it has an extra fan slot on the bottom of the case for either a 140mm or 120mm w/ filter. The fan is actually positioned directly under the GPU's fan, so I'm wondering if I install a fan there, would it provide any benefit to the GPU, or would it provide zero benefit, or would it have a negative impact on case airflow?

My concern is that it may cause some turbulence with both the side fan blowing on the card as well as the front fan, but I really don't know much about airflow other than no cables inside = really good idea, mostly just a PC hardware kind of guy, so any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

If it turns out I could benefit from it, I'd probably need some help choosing a 140mm fan (or 120mm), but let's get to that when the time comes.

Thanks, everyone!

Deleted
    id say go for a cooler master storm scout, i love that one and dont have a problem with that chassie yet, its cold and silent <3

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    id say go for a cooler master storm scout, i love that one and dont have a problem with that chassie yet, its cold and silent <3
    Errr... I'm not looking for a case, I'm looking for input on whether or not I should install a fan on the bottom (where it has an actual spot to put it) to offer extra cooling to my video card.

Checkout this review of your case, it might give you some insight into your problem. Also, does your case have a side mounted fan installed?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...niper-review/5

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    Checkout this review of your case, it might give you some insight into your problem. Also, does your case have a side mounted fan installed?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...niper-review/5
    While the review is good, and I see their point, my version of the Sniper has the 200mm fan on the side, which blows directly onto the video card and north and southbridge chipsets, as well as the CPU. My video card, under load, hovers around 78C which is well within its range. However, the noise is just... blah, as the fan needs to go up to about 35% speed to keep it there, and it gets pretty annoying after a while.

So with that, would I see any boost in cooling performance on the video card by installing a fan on the bottom, utilizing that mount? As I said, it'd blow directly onto the GPU heatsink and fan.

If you put a smoldering match near the fan hole on the bottom, is the smoke sucked in or blown away from the case? If the smoke is sucked in then an addition fan MIGHT help, on the other hand , if the smoke is blown out then adding another fan blowing out might really help the 200mm side fan get air across the video card and then out of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    If you put a smoldering match near the fan hole on the bottom, is the smoke sucked in or blown away from the case? If the smoke is sucked in then an addition fan MIGHT help, on the other hand , if the smoke is blown out then adding another fan blowing out might really help the 200mm side fan get air across the video card and then out of the case.
    Hrm interesting... I know it's designed to be an intake fan, however I didn't think of using it as an exhaust to better the airflow from the side. How would I test this if I don't have any matches or a lighter? =V

Dry ice? You could try with a thin piece of toilet paper or something else that is very light, but it might be hard to notice. Is there a screen or mesh across the bottom so the paper won't get sucked in?

I would advise against altering the direction of a fan on a case, as they're usually set up to direct airflow in the best way possible. Turning one around might leave one of your components lacking the necessary cooling.

That said I didn't see a mention of what card you're running. Any chance we could get a link to that to see if it may be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Aileta View Post
    I would advise against altering the direction of a fan on a case, as they're usually set up to direct airflow in the best way possible. Turning one around might leave one of your components lacking the necessary cooling.

That said I didn't see a mention of what card you're running. Any chance we could get a link to that to see if it may be the problem?
    My card is the XFX HD6870 Black Edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lack%20edition). I tested the airflow with what I had on hand (sadly, just toilet paper) and I didn't notice any sort of suction or blowing.

I mean, the card's not too hot by any means, I just don't like it being as hot as it gets, just a little OCD about it =P I've tossed around the idea of getting an aftermarket cooler, too, but I have absolutely no experience with that kind of thing and dont' want to brick my card.

Deleted
    I spent £20 on 1 - 80mm case fan, it was CRAPPP - The specs i read made it out to be good - But when i got it, it had the air flow and air pressure of a dieing asmatic slug.
    I have found only thermaltake make fans that have a decent RPM and air pressure flow.
    Anyone else share with me a good fan make? Thermaltakes are hard to get. Noise doesnt concern me, i want RPM and high CFM .

My thermaltake 80mms run at 2700 RPM with 37 CFM, with 3.4mm- H2O pressure - so im after somthing equal or better. NOT easy to find as iv realised.
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2011-02-19 at 06:46 AM.

What size fan? If you're looking for 80mm fans, I will always recommend Noctua: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-...-with-red-fans

They use an SSO bearing (self-stabilizing oil bearing), move a ton of air and are quiiiieeeeeeet. A little pricey, but quiet.