Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

New Computer Screen

i am looking at buying a new computer screen and i have found one that seems to be alright. here is the link http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/32-full...l-tuner-kogan/
    i was wondering if people think that 32" might be a bit big? at the moment im using a 24" screen

My girl friend has a 32 inch lcd TV that we use as the 2nd monitor for movies. It works well as a monitor aswell, nice and crisp. Wow looks fine on it too. I don't see any problems using it as your main monitor. Only thing I noticed is the resolution don't go that high 1360x768.
    I'm a random windstorm, shakey! shakey!

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kc8pnd View Post
    Only thing I noticed is the resolution don't go that high 1360x768.
    in the specifications tab it says 1920 x 1080

Deleted
    The bigger the screen the harder your GFX card has to work - remember that
    + going bigger than 22 / 24 inches on a monitor u sit about 12 inches away from is just silly.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah that was my main concern, im using a decent laptop atm not sure how it would run with a large screen, but i am going to get a very good pc soon. and i was thinking of maybe mounting it on the wall so its back a big further

You are using a laptop with a 24 inch screen? Rarely do I ever see such...and now you wish to upgrade to a 32 inch tv? mounted on a wall? You might think about getting one of those relax chairs or w/e, so the angle is perfect...or hmmm, maybe just rather get a 55 inc led and put it on the balcony?

The resources some people are willing to spend for such trivial idiocy, for something as a plain pc screen....

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    hey, ppl are allowed to have whatever they wish. and my laptop isnt 24" lol its a external moniter. i came here just asking a few questions not to be bagged out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    The bigger the screen the harder your GFX card has to work - remember that
    Yeah no. Physical size of the screen has got nothing to do with it, it's all about resolution. Most 24" computer monitors are 1920x1080 today, while the cheap-ass LCD TVs only run at 1366x768 resolution making the picture quality actually worse than on the smaller screen. FullHD is around 40% more pixels than "HD Ready" which means the graphics card will run around 40% slower than before.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    The resources some people are willing to spend for such trivial idiocy, for something as a plain pc screen....
    whats the difference between having buying a large tv and buying a large computer moniter?

This screen is actually cheaper than major brand monitors that are smaller
    Last edited by Mugumbo; 2011-02-19 at 12:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugumbo View Post
    whats the difference between having buying a large tv and buying a large computer moniter?

This screen is actually cheaper than major brand monitors that are smaller
    Not in my country, for those sizes (~23") i can get a monitor for half the price of a TV, both 1080p. Hell, i can even get 20-22" 1080p IPS monitors for the same price of a tv.

i am looking at buying a new computer screen and i have found one that seems to be alright. here is the link http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/32-full...l-tuner-kogan/
    i was wondering if people think that 32" might be a bit big? at the moment im using a 24" screen
    The thing about TVs is that they're gonna be lower quality. That's why you'll see a smaller monitor going for the same price as a large TV. Even the 32" at 1080p might look blurred.

Deleted
    32" is way too big for a computer monitor if you intend to use it for gaming. You'll find that if you're sitting at around 30 inches from the screen or thereabouts, you will have real trouble seeing the edges of the display in your peripheral vision, and your eyes will have to move much more frequently in order to keep track of everything on the screen. This isn't a big deal for video/image editing and so on, where you want as large a workspace as possible, but with gaming it'll become a real eyesore (literally).
    For PC gaming, the largest screen you should really go for would be 24", anything larger than that will simply be too big to be comfortable on your eyes when you're sitting in such close proximity. You'll see hipster kids with ridiculously large screens defending the size and claiming they're the best investment they've ever made. But 99% of the time they just bought an enormous screen to show off to their friends.

In addition to that, television screens (DVI/HDMI compatible or not) just aren't that good for dedicated PC use. The display quality just isn't up to the job in the majority of cases. Although they might be 1080p and sound like they have all the bells and whistles you'll get from a similair PC display, it's just not the case. Generally they'll suffer from smearing and ghosting much worse than a purpose built monitor, and their edge definition won't be nearly as sharp.

In that price range you'd be much better off going for something like the LG W2486L or something similar. But really, if you're only looking to get a new screen because it's larger, I wouldn't bother. Stick with what you've got.

This is all up to personal preferance, I myself have 2x 24" monitors, and I love it.
    Something smaller would be too small, and something bigger would be to big, this is all my opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    32" is way too big for a computer monitor if you intend to use it for gaming. You'll find that if you're sitting at around 30 inches from the screen or thereabouts, you will have real trouble seeing the edges of the display in your peripheral vision, and your eyes will have to move much more frequently in order to keep track of everything on the screen. This isn't a big deal for video/image editing and so on, where you want as large a workspace as possible, but with gaming it'll become a real eyesore (literally).
    For PC gaming, the largest screen you should really go for would be 24", anything larger than that will simply be too big to be comfortable on your eyes when you're sitting in such close proximity.
    This isnt true at all. Maybe if your eyes were bad to begin with. Ive been using a 42" LCD as primary screen for gaming for years. Its standing on my desk 3 feet from my face and ive never experienced any issues with my eyes or feeling uncomfortable at any time. Its 1920x1080 and Ive never been bothered by that resolution on such a big screen. And showing off to your friends? Are you serious?. The only true issue I have gotten from this, is that I cant go back to tiny monitors when im using someone elses computer

15+ Year Old Account

Good looking screen, if its not going to be your main screen than go for it, if you want to use it as primary display I would go for a 120hz tv