10+ Year Old Account

SLI / GTX580 Issues?

Seems to be something wrong at Blizz-town and I keep getting 500 Errors when trying to post in Tech Support.

Anyone have any issues with GTX580s running in SLI? I'm getting around 45-50 FPS under ultra and weird shadows popping in and out on the ground and frame rate spikes here and there where I turn the camera and it will stop for a sec then continue. I can run Crysis ultra with 16Q AA all day well over 60 FPS and hit a 12500 on 3DBenchmark11 so I know my cards are okay.

I tried disabling add-ons and updating all drivers as well to no avail.

Never

Get

SLi

or

Crossfire

There's always a random issue with it in almost every game, minor or major...an issues almost always comes up.

Incoming people to defend their SLi or Crossfire setups by saying they've never had issues with it before.

Sell off or return one of your 580's, you don't even need more than 1 unless you're running 3 - 30 inch monitors.

you only need 1 card per monitor.

having more than 2 in SLi or crossfire is just stupid in my honest opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to the Computer Forums.
    Dawwwwwww

i disagree with above
    sli is fine
    wow does not like sli
    you need to download latest drivers and set custom sli profile for wow or it will run shitty with sli.
    k thanks

Are you running WoW in DirectX11 mode or not? I'm running dual GTX 460s in SLI and I noticed it runs better in DX11 mode (aside from the longer delay when alt+tabbing out of the game... but you get used to it unless you tab back and forth constantly)
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-02-19 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you set DX11 to WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Aman08 View Post
    Anyone have any issues with GTX580s running in SLI? I'm getting around 45-50 FPS under ultra and weird shadows popping in and out on the ground and frame rate spikes here and there where I turn the camera and it will stop for a sec then continue. I can run Crysis ultra with 16Q AA all day well over 60 FPS and hit a 12500 on 3DBenchmark11 so I know my cards are okay.
    WoW hates SLI and Crossfire, turn it off.

Also, you might be CPU capped in WoW, what's your other hardware like?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Are you running WoW in DirectX11 mode or not? I'm running dual GTX 460s in SLI and I noticed it runs better in DX11 mode (aside from the longer delay when alt+tabbing out of the game... but you get used to it unless you tab back and forth constantly)
    Windowed mode fullscreen. Problem solved. We all go party.

How do you set DX11 to WoW?
    world of warcraft\WTF\config.WTF
    open in notepad. Add: SET gxApi "D3D11"

Also update to latest nvidia drivers and make sure you get Nvidias enhanced SLI profile for WoW running.

People need to seriously stop telling people with Sli/crossfire setups that its shit and they need to sell a card. Stop being jealous that they have two cards and help them solve a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephasaurus View Post
    People need to seriously stop telling people with Sli/crossfire setups that its shit and they need to sell a card. Stop being jealous that they have two cards and help them solve a problem.
    Problem is ignorant people who think that SLI magically makes everything better. It does not work with WoW, and if you're ever having problems with WoW performance, first thing Blizzard does is ask you to turn off SLI/Crossfire because they do not support it. Doing guesstimates based on forum posts here and elsewhere, the following seems to be somewhat true about SLI/Crossfire and WoW.

20% will see 20-30% fps drop when using two cards
    70% will not see any chance from two cards
    10% will see 20-30% fps increase when using two cards

Odds at SLI/Crossfire giving any benefits are very slim, and that combined with the game being CPU capped means that using two cards is complete waste of time and money for WoW.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only got SLI to run Skyrim later in the year and to see Crysis at 140 FPS+

My CPU is an i7 950 Bloomfield @ 3.8Ghz OC'd, Win 7 Pro, G-Skill Rip Jaws 12GB @ 1600, 600GB VelociRaptor @10k RPM, Montior is an Acer running at 1920x1080p

I added SET gxApi "D3D11" and it runs better now but I'm still having shadow issues with foliage on the ground but I did some research and I guess that's normal for DX11 cards with WoW. I had to get into the Nvidia control panel and manually set settings for WoW so everything is gravy now.

But as far as SLI on 1 monitor...I went from a 6200 on 3Dmark11 to a 11700 so...

But as far as SLI on 1 monitor...I went from a 6200 on 3Dmark11 to a 11700 so...
    Did you try to turn it off anyway to test it out?

And 45-50fps is totally normal with i7-950 on WoW in busy cities. You're CPU capped as said before.
    Trolling should be.

SLI is working in WoW with the latest Nvidia driver release. I am seeing a nearly uniform split between my GPU's and no issues whatsoever since the new drivers came out with updated SLI profile for WoW.