Microphone Vs. Soundcard

Hi there. Recently it has been brought to my attention that I sound pretty bad on ventrilo and mumble. I seem to be attracting a lot of static and background sound. Basically I want to know whether this is an issue with my microphone/headset or with my soundcard?

my Soundcard came with my computer: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio up to Creative SoundBlaster® X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    and my microphone headset is a 15-20$ logitech headset piece of junk.

I don't know enough about computers to make a decision on which could be the problem. Are there any tests I can do before I go out and buy a brand new microphone/soundcard?

Also, if you know for a fact which of these could be the problem, do you have any suggestions for a nice soundcard/mic that will last me a while for under 100$?

Thanks.
    a burglar has broken into my house while i was tanking yogg so i let him do what ever he wanted cause we were in phase 3....reported him later and he got caught the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Demarticus View Post
    and my microphone headset is a 15-20$ logitech headset piece of junk.
    This most likely. A faulty sound card could produce static, but excess background noise is definitely your microphone. If your computer case has another microphone jack (on the front panel for example) you could test it to see if it's not your sound card, but I'd bet it's your cheap headset.

I'm using a Logitech USB headset I paid about $50 for 3 years ago, and it's still going strong. I don't remember the exact model, but this seems to be it/the equivalent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104398
    It does pick up some background noise (people can recognize what's on the TV) but I haven't heard anyone complain about it being excessive. I have heard people say I was too loud when talking, but I have a loud(ish) voice, and it's better to have to turn yourself down to an acceptable level than have to turn yourself up so people can hear you (turning up your voice will also turn up the noise of the room, etc)
    Since it uses USB, I'm pretty sure it won't utilize your soundcard though... so you may need a traditional plug style headset if you want to keep using it.