Soul Swap with pet [Affliction Warlock]

I'm trying to use a cast sequence macro to change targets using Soul Swap as an Affliction Warlock. The cast sequence portion is working exactly as I expected and wanted, but the pet control line is causing bad behavior.

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=20 Soul Swap, Curse of the Elements, Haunt, Soul Swap Exhale
    /petattack

The problem is that each time I press the macro for the next spell in line my pet runs back to me and runs back to the target. I'm wondering if theres anything I can do to make my pet attack the target of the sequence without returning to me every time I press the macro before going to the target again.

I even asked a long time Hunter and he's had the same issue with /castsequence macros. Apparently the /petattack command causes problems when spammed, but I don't know how to fix it.
    Last edited by Falconys; 2011-02-19 at 10:54 PM. Reason: edited the part of the macro thats working to match whats in-game.

Deleted
    i think /petattack is a toggle. you should look for a [] command that sends your pet to attack your target if it isn't already attacking it.

No good. I just tried it with "/petattack [@playertarget]" and it behaved the same way.

Strange, it doesn't send my pet back to me. Must be different from a Hunter.

The only time I noticed this was with a Succbus on Passive. Using any other pet, or having Succubus on Defensive... then the macro is fine I believe it is just a bug with the AI in this particular case.

Also please either make your own thread or make a post in the Ask It sticky but not both.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Thank you for the answer and sorry for the clutter.

Is there a way to eliminate it without going to defensive? Or is it just stuck the way it is and I'll have to cope with it? Considering this is for my raiding spec if I ever get the chance to raid with him, do you see any severe drawbacks to leaving my pet on defensive? I've always used passive before to minimize problems so I'm not sure what/if any issues may arise. I know for a fact that agressive is a no-no. I keep Seduction auto cast turned off so "secondary target" functionality in the AI isn't an issue.

It's really up to you. If this bothers you, then pets are usually pretty good 95% of the time on defensive.

If there is CC being used heavily then keep a close eye on what your pet is doing or leave it passive and attack with macros\keybind.

Make a bug report on Blizzards forum to make them aware of it then you can have the best of both worlds.

Deleted
    Try:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /petdefensive
    /castsequence reset=20 Soul Swap, Curse of the Elements, Haunt, Soul Swap Exhale
    /petattack
    /petpassive

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Try:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /petdefensive
    /petattack
    /petpassive
    Interesting idea, just tested it Tree, with your macro the pet does absolutely nothing. So I put attack after passive, and the behavior is exactly the same as being just regular passive.

I think I understand what the AI is doing that causes this behavior. Because pets on passive do not have threat tables, it seems to me that it must be dropping its current target for a brief period before assigning the new target when the macro is pressed. Durring that no-target period would be when the pet is returning to me. In defensive stance pets keep a normal threat table, so they are never completely without a target when dropping one for another. Using /petpassive followed by /petattack would be the same as this period of not having a target.

So the question is, is it possible to prevent this gap in the pets targeting without leaving it on defense so it has a threat table to reference? Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't know how you might go about proving or disproving such a theory anyway.

It's possible that this issue has to do with the succubus' AI being designed to take advantage of autocasting Seduction, but as far as I know that functionality only pertains to defensive stance.

Try sending the pet at your current target

Code:
    /petattack [@target]

Quote Originally Posted by Wericia View Post
    Reverse order to:

/petpassive
    /petattack

Should work
    That reproduces exactly the behavior I am trying to eliminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Try sending the pet at your current target

Code:
    /petattack [@target]
    This is no different than not having the conditional because the command defaults to the players current target on it's own.

What about putting the line /petattack on the line above the cast sequence part?

So it would be something like this:

#showtooltip
    /petattack

Maybe you'll just have to use two keybindings, i didn't have a macro for it on my lock.

why would you even want to do this? just macro your pet to haunt. with that a main target switch is just 3 buttons. you don't need to make an extra situation specific macro.