Plate Specialization - Can you gear enough non-plate to make losing it, worth it?

Hello all,

I ran many GDKP raids and then was getting ready to transfer to play elsewhere at the launch of Cataclysm. I'm well off with money in real-life, and didn't care for breaking the EULA and risking my account. So, with all the gold I had I decided to spend it on items that I could at least mildly put to decent use.

Because I did not have a guild, and pugs had not been able to defeat many bosses yet, I bought some leather and mail epic BoE pieces.

The BoE pieces (Tsanga's helm, arrowsinger legguards, etc) were pieces where there are no plate equivalent pieces for that slot.

I noticed when using these items that I was sacrificing armor, strength,and plate specialization.

I would gain agility (dodge), and mastery (the epic pieces I bought had a lot of mastery).

But, what's interesting is I noticed a significant decrease in the damage I was taking.

Yes, I lost enough armor that equated to around 1.5% dmg reduction to melee hits, and stamina that equaled around 4,500 HP -- but I was sitting at 15% dodge, 12% parry and 70% block.

Many people hate on me for buying leather or mail pieces, but why would I care about giving up Strength? I do tons of damage anyway and have no issues with threat -- I lose an HP bonus from plate specialization, but I'm not gemming or enchanting for stam, so I can accept that loss for now.

I am not arguing that leather and mail is better than plate -- I'm arguing that leather and mail is better when there's not a plate equivalent, epic higher ilvl piece and the only alternative is a blue.

What do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    With strength you get a lot of parry. I am pretty sure all bosses have a form of melee attacks that do physical damage, and that damage reduction is very useful. You could always get armor with mastery on it from heroics, keeping a good deal of stamina and armor, as well as block. I think what you are doing is very stupid, but you can do whatever as long as you can live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fire Gives a Buff View Post
    With strength you get a lot of parry. I am pretty sure all bosses have a form of melee attacks that do physical damage, and that damage reduction is very useful. You could always get armor with mastery on it from heroics, keeping a good deal of stamina and armor, as well as block. I think what you are doing is very stupid, but you can do whatever as long as you can live.
    This is a pretty articulate way to express how I feel on the matter. Str=parry, parry is good. Also, armor adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyAo View Post
    The BoE pieces (Tsanga's helm, arrowsinger legguards, etc) were pieces where there are no plate equivalent pieces for that slot.

Corefire Legplates

Deleted
    IF you actually have 15% dodge 12% parry and 70% block, KEEP IT. that means you're sitting on 15+12+5+70 = 102% avoidance, which equals to a permanent 40% physical reduction,
    Last edited by mmoc1c984c02b2; 2011-02-19 at 05:55 PM.

I can't believe no one mentioned the immense loss in armor you've got there!
    Taking an epic leather head over a plate blue one is not only a stam loss but also a massive armor loss and the avoidance just does NOT make up for it.

One point of misinformation from all these posts: Leather armor (and Cloth and Mail) have exactly the same amount of Stamina as a plate item in the same slot / item level / quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Charo View Post
    One point of misinformation from all these posts: Leather armor (and Cloth and Mail) have exactly the same amount of Stamina as a plate item in the same slot / item level / quality.
    It's called plate specialization and gives 5% stamina if you wear plate items only...

And on topic: The armor loss is too much of a disadvantage if using leather items combined with the loss of plate specialization so no it's not worth it. On the other hand agility rings/necks are often BiS due to Strength not being needed.