[Holy] Am I doing it right?

Ok basically I was looking for some tips from other H Pallys on my spec/Gemming/Etc.

As of right now, with any half decent tank, I do fine in Heroics. Last night I even chain-pulled almost an entire H Deadmines run without stopping for mana except for once(yes, yes I know about the buff which was sitting at 5%). However, it seemed A LOT harder while healing a Baradin Hold run. Of course we were 2 healing it, along side a holy priest, but for some reason I almost couldn't keep up on mana running to 5-8% or so once we got to final burn phase after the second Fel Firestorm. I realize that there is a big difference between raids and heroics...but it's BH. It's basically a heroic with a couple extra people.

Right now I'm sitting at about 2.3k unbuffed combat mp5, 94k mana.

Can't post links yet but the armory is BubbleÕseven of Area 52 server

Anything *constructive* would be nice since I hope to start actually healing raids in the very near future.

Simca Edit: Armory link here - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...seven/advanced
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-02-21 at 06:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I do recommend my guide that I just finished - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nel-It-A-Guide (insert shameless self-plug here ). Should contain some helpful tips on keeping your mana up (frequent judging, Potion of Concentration, etc).

As for your armory - it looks mostly great to me! You have awesome trinkets for somebody just starting raiding, and your reforging is great. The only thing I'd do is try to replace your weapon as quickly as possible.

I'd strongly recommend one of the following weapons (in rough order from best to worst):

Basically, you should run some Halls of Origination Heroic until your head hurts!

Edit: Yeah, I'd get 1 point in Aura Mastery and 1 point in Enlightened Judgements, probably pulling 1 from Improved Judgements and 1 from Last Word. Also, I'd switch the gems in your pants to 2x +40 Int - that isn't a socket bonus worth matching.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-02-21 at 07:15 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Well after looking at your spec it seems good, but a point in enlightened judgments wouldn't hurt because if judgment is being used on CD it nets some nice mana regen, but if it is missed I am pretty sure it doesn't restore mana.
    Were you the only one dispelling? Was the other healer pulling their weight? Were you using Arcane Torrent on CD and Divine Plea during periods of low damage?

I wasn't the only one dispelling however he didn't seem to be pulling his weight too much on the actual healing of the raid so I seemed to be using LoD and HR far more than I should have for a 10m. Divine Plea and Arcane Torrent I used during first Fel Firestorm but weren't up during the second one and other than those two points there really was no "low damage time" unfortunately.

And thanks Sim, looks like I definitely need to get on to farming HoO or farming some orbs on my BS(way too much effort lol)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahrah View Post
    I wasn't the only one dispelling however he didn't seem to be pulling his weight too much on the actual healing of the raid so I seemed to be using LoD and HR far more than I should have for a 10m. Divine Plea and Arcane Torrent I used during first Fel Firestorm but weren't up during the second one and other than those two points there really was no "low damage time" unfortunately.
    You SHOULD be using a TON of Holy Radiance and Light of Dawn in Baradin Hold - even if your Light of Dawn is 100% overhealing, when it overheals 6 targets, it will transfer all that overhealing to your beacon target and heal the tank for a bijillion more than a Word of Glory would have!

Sounds like you were doing it right to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been reading here on the forums for a long while now but now i have a reason to finally post something... (yay!)

What I do during BH is when you the boss does the meteor slash (or wahtever its called) on your side, thats when you definately should pop holy radiance and also light of dawn on your group just to make up for the health on yourside and the other side gets a little something from you too during your radiance spell.

I think some people might disagree with me but i too run into some mana issues because i dont just only heal my side and i dispell like mad so whenever the fel firestorm happens, i use Divine plea during that part, I also have the core of ripeness trinket and i have that macro'd onto divine plea, (as well as avenging wrath...) So that trinket is almost always on CD for me, but during the fel firestorm i usually trust that everyone can stay out of fire and just run around getting that mana back.... its something to try at least and see how that works for ya. also try and take a few melee swipes at the boss when you can when the raid is good on health just to get a little extra mana... every little bit helpz.....

Also see if you can put yourself in to Heroic Deadmines and/or heroic Grim Batol to get bracers to replace the resilience bracers you have now.... in my opinion resilience is just lame for anything other than pvp, just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by Beefandcereal; 2011-02-21 at 07:41 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahrah View Post
    Ok basically I was looking for some tips from other H Pallys on my spec/Gemming/Etc.

As of right now, with any half decent tank, I do fine in Heroics. Last night I even chain-pulled almost an entire H Deadmines run without stopping for mana except for once(yes, yes I know about the buff which was sitting at 5%). However, it seemed A LOT harder while healing a Baradin Hold run. Of course we were 2 healing it, along side a holy priest, but for some reason I almost couldn't keep up on mana running to 5-8% or so once we got to final burn phase after the second Fel Firestorm. I realize that there is a big difference between raids and heroics...but it's BH. It's basically a heroic with a couple extra people.

Right now I'm sitting at about 2.3k unbuffed combat mp5, 94k mana.

Can't post links yet but the armory is BubbleÕseven of Area 52 server

Anything *constructive* would be nice since I hope to start actually healing raids in the very near future.

Simca Edit: Armory link here - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...seven/advanced
    Okey Buddy, let me give you some tips for how to heal as a Paladin. On a heroic with a normal decent geared tank you should be having 60-90% mana after each pull.

Gems : Int > Haste > Spirit when you start to get gear. But when Cataclysm came out, and I was in full green gear - 3xx > 346 blue gear I stacked spirit all the way as it was better to have a Mana pool that increases fast then having a larger one with a low regen.

First of all haste is a good stat for Hpaladin. Why? Holy light, is your main spell. You should be casting Holy shock > Holy light > Word of Glory. That's it, just keep that rotation up and you should not be having any problems healing. Just cast holy light if holy shock is on CD.

Flash of Light is a not a effective ability as you'll go out of mana after like 10-15 sec spamming it. It's just in case a player goes low real fast or your tank needs a fast heal if you don't got divine light + cast reduce buff on it.

You should keep Bacon on the tank, and always remember to keep it 100%. Heal other players with Holy light, holy light will build a absorb shield on you current target and you tank + it will heal them for 50% of the healing done. So it's like a pre-shield.

But let's go to BH. If you find it hard to heal there it's because of three reasons, you're not dispelling fast enough, or no plan in the raid group or your other healer is not dispelling.
    Let's say, GRP 1 is yours, and GRP 2 is the other healers. Your main goals are Cleanse your group, Heal your group and then first Cleanse if the healer nr 2 is not done cleansing then help him heal.

Felstorm, if this takes your group down to low your group sux. Felstorm is a mana regen phase, you should just cast holy light a couple of times and not focus so much on heal, mainly regenerate mana. If anyone from your group loses HP like you have to spam heal him, let him die.. Don't heal him. You're not supposed to heal a guy in the fire just because he wants to be nr 1 DPS.

I've noticed it first time I did BH, people just lost HP and your confused and spam Flash of Light, then you end up with 5-10% mana after 30 sec in the fight. But you never have to spam Flash, Just make sure you cleanse your group, when group is cleansed they wont lose anymore HP in phase 1. As long as there's no Debuff, there's no DMG loss. Then you can heal with holy light and holy shock + Word of glory. Remember, if you glyph Lay on Hand, you'll get a 10 % Mana back after you use it. It's really handy in some situation.

Last BH I did I had 75% Absorb and Healing, He was a priest.. so I had to take Absorb as well but yeah ... 75% total healing. And the cleansing was 80%, yepp 80%. And guess what? He also went OOM in the middle of the fight and I had to solo heal it and yes we made it.

You just have to train to spam Holy shock > Holy Light > Word of Glory.

Just make sure you go for INT for gems with Haste, Keep it a 60% int gems and 40 % Haste. When you see that you're not having problems to heal go for more Haste.

Tip
    - Always use Judgment when it's off cd, always.
    - Use Lay on hands on a other member the tank if your tank is full hped and your DPS is low. 120 k heal on dps, 60 k on tank + shield.
    - Holy shock whenever it's off cd.
    - Light of Dawn is usefull, think about it. Light of dawn can heal up to 4-5 targets, Let's say it heals each target for around 1.5k for with 1 holy power. Can't remember how much it heals but yeah, it heals for around 50 % of word of glory. But if you got 4 members in line of sight and use it that will each 6k in total, from those 6k, 50 % will go to the tank.

Take this build here if you're having a hard time to find a good build.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

I'm sorry, but I'm not the best to learn, but if you got any questions please let me know, I'll try to help you .

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Okey Buddy, let me give you some tips for how to heal as a Paladin. On a heroic with a normal decent geared tank you should be having 60-90% mana after each pull.

Gems : Int > Haste > Spirit when you start to get gear. But when Cataclysm came out, and I was in full green gear - 3xx > 346 blue gear I stacked spirit all the way as it was better to have a Mana pool that increases fast then having a larger one with a low regen.

First of all haste is a good stat for Hpaladin. Why? Holy light, is your main spell. You should be casting Holy shock > Holy light > Word of Glory. That's it, just keep that rotation up and you should not be having any problems healing. Just cast holy light if holy shock is on CD.

Flash of Light is a not a effective ability as you'll go out of mana after like 10-15 sec spamming it. It's just in case a player goes low real fast or your tank needs a fast heal if you don't got divine light + cast reduce buff on it.

You should keep Bacon on the tank, and always remember to keep it 100%. Heal other players with Holy light, holy light will build a absorb shield on you current target and you tank + it will heal them for 50% of the healing done. So it's like a pre-shield.

But let's go to BH. If you find it hard to heal there it's because of three reasons, you're not dispelling fast enough, or no plan in the raid group or your other healer is not dispelling.
    Let's say, GRP 1 is yours, and GRP 2 is the other healers. Your main goals are Cleanse your group, Heal your group and then first Cleanse if the healer nr 2 is not done cleansing then help him heal.

Felstorm, if this takes your group down to low your group sux. Felstorm is a mana regen phase, you should just cast holy light a couple of times and not focus so much on heal, mainly regenerate mana. If anyone from your group loses HP like you have to spam heal him, let him die.. Don't heal him. You're not supposed to heal a guy in the fire just because he wants to be nr 1 DPS.

I've noticed it first time I did BH, people just lost HP and your confused and spam Flash of Light, then you end up with 5-10% mana after 30 sec in the fight. But you never have to spam Flash, Just make sure you cleanse your group, when group is cleansed they wont lose anymore HP in phase 1. As long as there's no Debuff, there's no DMG loss. Then you can heal with holy light and holy shock + Word of glory. Remember, if you glyph Lay on Hand, you'll get a 10 % Mana back after you use it. It's really handy in some situation.

Last BH I did I had 75% Absorb and Healing, He was a priest.. so I had to take Absorb as well but yeah ... 75% total healing. And the cleansing was 80%, yepp 80%. And guess what? He also went OOM in the middle of the fight and I had to solo heal it and yes we made it.

You just have to train to spam Holy shock > Holy Light > Word of Glory.

Just make sure you go for INT for gems with Haste, Keep it a 60% int gems and 40 % Haste. When you see that you're not having problems to heal go for more Haste.

Tip
    - Always use Judgment when it's off cd, always.
    - Use Lay on hands on a other member the tank if your tank is full hped and your DPS is low. 120 k heal on dps, 60 k on tank + shield.
    - Holy shock whenever it's off cd.
    - Light of Dawn is usefull, think about it. Light of dawn can heal up to 4-5 targets, Let's say it heals each target for around 1.5k for with 1 holy power. Can't remember how much it heals but yeah, it heals for around 50 % of word of glory. But if you got 4 members in line of sight and use it that will each 6k in total, from those 6k, 50 % will go to the tank.

Take this build here if you're having a hard time to find a good build.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary

I'm sorry, but I'm not the best to learn, but if you got any questions please let me know, I'll try to help you .
    Don't listen to this guy.

He's doing so much wrong its kind of embarrassing.

LOH no longer transfers through beacon.

No paragon of virtue in your holy spec ? wat ?

Cleansing glyph and beacon ? No. Just no.

You're also telling him to use LOD but also telling him to Glyph WoG. Really ?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIozrkuufzhZcbM:aVmfsa

^ use that set up for when you first start raiding.

People on this forum really need to stop giving out false information.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Droeslol View Post
    Most of what he is saying is right. I wouldn't use the Cleansing and Beacon glyphs, personally, and I'd get Paragon of Virtue, but honestly, if you consider the ratio of right information to wrong information in his post, it's like 85% to 15%.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Droeslol View Post
    Don't listen to this guy.

LOH no longer transfers through beacon.

No paragon of virtue in your holy spec ? wat ?

Cleansing glyph and beacon ? No. Just no.

You're also telling him to use LOD but also telling him to Glyph WoG. Really ?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIozrkuufzhZcbM:aVmfsa

^ use that set up for when you first start raiding.

People on this forum really need to stop giving out false information.
    Oha! You're calling my specc wrong? I'm no paragon player? Aha!
    One mistake because my last login was 15 january or something. Thanks for that and thanks to you fixd that.

First of all, I never said check my glyphs did I? No, I just said the specc, I've tried this specc, done this specc and it's workin' fucking smoothly. I never drop 80% mana in heroics, NEVER. I've never had healing problems. Instead of saying : It's kind of embarrassing, tell me. What's wrong? What i could've done better? You're giving me lack on information. Who here is a paragon Player? Who? Paragon is special, blizzard treats them special, they're special.. Just face it, their job is playing wow, that's what they do.

This specc I have, and what I told you should be helpful enough to get through the most things.

---------- Post added 2011-02-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Most of what he is saying is right. I wouldn't use the Cleansing and Beacon glyphs, personally, and I'd get Paragon of Virtue, but honestly, if you consider the ratio of right information to wrong information in his post, it's like 85% to 15%.
    Yes I'm a bit " Not Updated, I'm sorry for that, but that's because I've not played WoW in soon two months.

I know my glyphs are wrong, but always forgot to fix em. That's just some glyphs I had from WotlK.

Deleted
    I solohealed BH10 as a holy pala. Tanks were quite nice geared aswell, and I had a shadowpriest doing some raidhealing with Vampiric Embrace.
    But I don't have any problems keeping mana.
    Only got full heroic gear + 1 epic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oha! You're calling my specc wrong? I'm no paragon player? Aha!
    One mistake because my last login was 15 january or something. Thanks for that and thanks to you fixd that.

First of all, I never said check my glyphs did I? No, I just said the specc, I've tried this specc, done this specc and it's workin' fucking smoothly. I never drop 80% mana in heroics, NEVER. I've never had healing problems. Instead of saying : It's kind of embarrassing, tell me. What's wrong? What i could've done better? You're giving me lack on information. Who here is a paragon Player? Who? Paragon is special, blizzard treats them special, they're special.. Just face it, their job is playing wow, that's what they do.

This specc I have, and what I told you should be helpful enough to get through the most things.

---------- Post added 2011-02-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

Yes I'm a bit " Not Updated, I'm sorry for that, but that's because I've not played WoW in soon two months.

I know my glyphs are wrong, but always forgot to fix em. That's just some glyphs I had from WotlK.
    Ah, yes, "LOH no longer transfers through beacon." happened in the patch that happened while you were away.

As for his talent critique - he's referring to the talent Paragon of Virtue, not the guild Paragon.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Ah, yes, "LOH no longer transfers through beacon." happened in the patch that happened while you were away.

As for his talent critique - he's referring to the talent Paragon of Virtue, not the guild Paragon.
    Ahh I see :P Well my bad ^_^ Started playing paladin from I think Start of january. I've played Warrior from release of wow, but got bored of it and some friends made me choose my dusty paladin ^_^ That's why I don't know all the names :P

The reason why I've not specced on that is because I don't rely on CDs. I know I could get that instead of that 20 range on judgment, but the reason I took it over Paragon of Virtue is because I'm used stay away from the group and felt that was really handy to have, but yeah, I agree, it would be better with that one, but we play this game for fun also Always fun to shoot people from 40 yards

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You like to stay out of group and in doing so nullify your most potent AoE Heal ?

Ok bro

Ahh I see :P Well my bad ^_^ Started playing paladin from I think Start of january. I've played Warrior from release of wow, but got bored of it and some friends made me choose my dusty paladin ^_^ That's why I don't know all the names :P

The reason why I've not specced on that is because I don't rely on CDs. I know I could get that instead of that 20 range on judgment, but the reason I took it over Paragon of Virtue is because I'm used stay away from the group and felt that was really handy to have, but yeah, I agree, it would be better with that one, but we play this game for fun also Always fun to shoot people from 40 yards
    I was hesitant to believe anything he was trying to explain in his first post, but this just makes it clear his advice is a bit shoddy at best.

You are going to stay 30-40 yards away all the time just to "shoot" the boss with judgements? I guess you wont be using Holy Radiance or LOD that often. These "i solo healed X boss while Y healer was out of mana because im amazing" parts in peoples stories are really old, and probably never happened. Trying to make a point doesnt have to involve hyped up stories, just keep it simple. And the Paragon talent is amazing for pve. It reduces the cooldownss on wings, hand of sac and bop...not taking this for 20 yard judgements seems a bit foolish in my oppinion. I for one use cooldowns constantly when i need them, hand of sac i pretty much use on cooldown. Pop divine favor + holy radiance and watch the health bars rise during heavy aoe. Pop wings for some heavy healing, and you cant forget about guardian. Dont hestitate to use those cooldowns

Meta = 54 int + 2% max mana
    Red gem slots = 40 int (Brilliant Inferno)
    Yellow = 20 int 20 Haste (Reckless Ametrine)
    Blue = 20 int 20 spirit (Purified Shadowspirit)

There is no reason to ever gem pure Haste. Ever. And dont forget...a larger mana pool = more regen. Replentishment and Divine Plea give mana based off of a percent of 'maximum' mana. So having a decent level of spirit + mana pool is what every holy paladin should be going for (The option is also regen trinkets like JoAR)

Also, you totally leave out Divine Light. Holy Light is more of a filler heal, when people are taking minor if any damage. Your top 3 heals should normally always include divine light. The tips you should be giving is not what heal to spam, or some cast sequence, its trying to give them an idea of what heals to use in a situation. For example i use holy light during very low damage, i use 3 point LODs during heavy aoe + holy radiance (with Divine Favor sometimes), i use Divine Lights and 3 point WOGs on the tank when he/she is tanking and on players who take any kind of heavy damage, i use Holy Shock pretty much on cooldown. If a player or tank is below 30% health and they have aggro/are tanking i will use flash of light or divine light followed by Holy Shock/wog + a judgement (these would be your personal preferance, based on a lot of situational factors of the fight).

Overall, its my oppinion that there is no set rotation, or sequence, for healing. Eventually as a healer you will be able to look at a situation on the fly and use the best heal that fits your needs at the time. I always thought it difficult to try to explain to someone how to "play holy right", as it all comes down to the players personal situational awareness and knowledge of his or her abilities in the end.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2011-02-21 at 11:15 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

So really from what I've been seeing, outside some flaming, is that really what I was missing is fixing glyphs and mostly should be prioritizing LoD over WG, which I really was not doing honestly.

As for what some are saying about my spec, the reason I stay out of Aura Mastery is because I moved that point and one point from PotI to get Blessed Life to try it out and it seems like I'm getting significantly more HoPo now than before I was including that in my spec.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aura mastery is amazing.

You should deff spec into it.