Eyefinity setup.

I recently bought myself an XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5, and it says on the site I bought it from that it contains ATI's eyefinity technology.
    I have three displays stashed up here. All of them 22" 1680x1050, same screen height, border size etc..
    But I have a problem. These screens all use VGA-ports.

Any ideas on how to still get eyefinity going with this setup?

You can probably use 2 monitors with the DVI-VGA adapter dongles, but don't think you can get analog VGA out of the third connector in any reasonable way. R5770 is gonna be slow in running games spanned over three monitors, even 2 monitors might be pushing it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Don't you need 2 cards for eyefinity? I may be wrong, but I thought the card could only output to two devices anyways. It's just mentioning that in CF that it can do eyefinity (if I'm not mistaken).

I saw it mentioned somewhere when I googled eyefinity solutions with this card that it could power three separate screens at once.
    - 85 - 85 - 85 - 85 - 85- 73 - 73 - 64 - 48 - 47 -

I have a HD5770, and i use 2 monitors just fine, wow runs at max settings, and some other games require shadows off, that's about it. i use VGA and then i use the VGA to DVI converter thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xergeon View Post
    I saw it mentioned somewhere when I googled eyefinity solutions with this card that it could power three separate screens at once.
    Ah, fair enough, then you probably just need adapters. But I don't see it beasting any games while running 3 screens, but would still be a lot of fun to play with.

You can get DVI to VGA adapters. Normally the digital outputs also have analog pins for this reason.

Yes, you can. Problem is that DisplayPort connector has only digital output. You can plug in two analog monitors to the two DVI or DVI+VGA connectors, but can't use the DisplayPort connector for third VGA monitor without external and probably expensive digital-to-analog converter box.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-02-22 at 03:37 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I've read a number of forum threads claiming that adapting eyefinity to VGA monitors is less expensive (maybe not as painless). Here is a link to one such forum thread. I'd take it at face value however.

Since you wouldn't have to spend much, it might be fun playing around with it. I wouldn't expect incredible performance however.

Well, I have some money that I need to use, so I can probably try that solution that you posted Drudgery.

I don't know if the display port on the card I'm buying is active or not, but I'll hope it is.

Thanks for the help
    - 85 - 85 - 85 - 85 - 85- 73 - 73 - 64 - 48 - 47 -

Well, I have some money that I need to use, so I can probably try that solution that you posted Drudgery.

I don't know if the display port on the card I'm buying is active or not, but I'll hope it is.

Thanks for the help

You will need a display port to Vga adapter. This will be active because you're going from digital to analog. You can use dvi to vga converters for the. Other ones.

I highly recommend you pick up a second 5770. I'm running my eyefinity rig at 5760x1080p on crossfired 5850s with a CPU running at 4ghz. Wow struggles at anything beyond good. It's weird because wow is the only game that struggles on my rig. Everything else runs smooth as butter.

Ps. Don't expect dx11 to work either.

10+ Year Old Account
    DX11 works fine with eyefinity, and you don't "need" two cards (thats the difference between ATI and Nvidia in this subject)

but, in order to run 3 or more monitors you need a displayport native monitor or an ACTIVE displayport adapter (note the active part), one of these will set you back about $100

the thing to keep in mind is that eyefinity strains your video card, you will see a big fps drop, my rig can push 100+ fps in wow on a single panel, but with eyefinity enabled and using 3 panels, i hover around 30-35 fps

A 5770 is not powerful enough to power up 3 monitors and play games at decent frames per second. You'd need a 58xx or 69xx card to play at playable FPS, you'd also want more Vram than only 1GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    DX11 works fine with eyefinity, and you don't "need" two cards (thats the difference between ATI and Nvidia in this subject)

but, in order to run 3 or more monitors you need a displayport native monitor or an ACTIVE displayport adapter (note the active part), one of these will set you back about $100

the thing to keep in mind is that eyefinity strains your video card, you will see a big fps drop, my rig can push 100+ fps in wow on a single panel, but with eyefinity enabled and using 3 panels, i hover around 30-35 fps
    You cAn get a sapphire or his active display port to dvi for 30 dollars. The dp to VGA are cheaper. How did you get dx11 to display eyefinity resolutions? Mine only shows me the max of 1920x1080 in dx11.