Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tanking in a DPS spec. Really?

Ok, so I've been leveling my resto (ms) shaman through Cataclysm, and I've found the most annoying thing: DPS that que as tank and attempt to tank. First, this doesn't work out in the dungeon. The guy will take ridiculous amounts damage, etc. Why doesn't Blizzard have it so you can only que to what you're spec'd into? Idc if your que is an hour.

The last one I had to deal with was a DK and his DPS buddy who made the arguement, "But he pulled 5k last instance." Who cares about tank DPS/Dmg! I don't want to sit there and sweat spam heals on you in WotLK content just because you want a quick que.

Also, I then went into Cata content and watched a Frost DK pop Blood Presence and get roflpwnd. Of course, though, I get instantly booted. Oh well.

Yes, this is a QQ thread, so please troll me hard! :lD

Calling for trolls is not a good way to kick off a discussion, really.
    However, I agree with you. Nothing is more annoying than zoning into an instance where the tank is in full dps gear, with a dps spec and then thinks he can pull half the instance and live.
    Interestingly enough, this was at one point going to be intended, but I think they decided against it and just gave dual spec earlier and way cheaper. So after level 30 there's really no excuse not to have a tank offspec if you want fast queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, that's pretty much what I told him. Because dual-spec is like what, 100g now? I can see you being able to pull it off in BC or early Wrath content /w BoA, but not in Wrath Heroics or Cata content. I think only being able to que what you're spec'd for would be a great option.

10g if I'm not mistaken, they further lowered it in Cata.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druidtank View Post
    Exactly, that's pretty much what I told him. Because dual-spec is like what, 100g now? I can see you being able to pull it off in BC or early Wrath content /w BoA, but not in Wrath Heroics or Cata content. I think only being able to que what you're spec'd for would be a great option.
    Dual spec is 10g now.

Deleted
    No, it's not 100g. It's 10g. Cheers.

There's no reason anyone should not have a tanking offspec if they want fast queues, as you said.

I don't really have a problem with being able to queue as tank/dps or dps/healer, but when you get in the instance you better be equipped to pull off either role effectively. If you end up in a tank slot, then I expect you to switch to tank gear and tank spec....same for healers... I also expect you to know that role.

I may expect to much....lol.

Absolutely agree with OP. Anyone trying to pull off tanking in dps gear should be booted immediately. Why have patience for an idiot that is willing to ruin everyone else's time in the instance.

It's actually interesting with DKs since in my opinion, (especially now that they've increased Heart Strike dmg) Blood - tank spec is actually the best/easiest leveling spec. No downtime, things go down fast and you can take on multiple mobs. Also, without resil gear, you can still survive world pvp.

Conclusion: Boot em before they blame you as heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, which is what happened. The guy died after he pulled a mob + a pat mob of 3. I was blamed, and then kicked. Whoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    My one caveat for agreement is that a tanking spec is really only necessary at higher levels. Of course, it's very helpful all the way up, but I've also seen people freak out in PuGs because their level 20something tank wasn't spec'd prot. Don't be that guy. At that point, you're so few points into your tree that your talents are almost negligible anyway (also, how terrible would queues be then? While those of us who level as tanks or healers exist, we're few and far between) . Also gear: there is no tank gear at level 20, guys. As long as he's got a shield, he's fine.

After level 40 when you can have dual spec it's silly not to, and once you're into any of the expansion contents you really need to be tank spec'd, for the sake of your healers if nothing else.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2011-02-22 at 04:46 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of dualspec being so cheap now... I'd like the extra 5940g I spent back in WOTLK on dualspeccing retconned back into my bags, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    Hakto: English is an evolving language. When I say "I am gay", some people choose to interpet that as "he defines himself as gay, gay, and nothing but the gay, so help him Robot Unicorn Attack".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    My one caveat for agreement is that a tanking spec is really only necessary at higher levels. Of course, it's very helpful all the way up, but I've also seen people freak out in PuGs because their level 20something tank wasn't spec'd prot. Don't be that guy. At that point, you're so few points into your tree that your talents are almost negligible anyway (also, how terrible would queues be then? While those of us who level as tanks or healers exist, we're few and far between) . Also gear: there is no tank gear at level 20, guys. As long as he's got a shield, he's fine.

After level 40 when you can have dual spec it's silly not to, and once you're into any of the expansion contents you really need to be tank spec'd, for the sake of your healers if nothing else.
    Better to tell the noob who's rolling tank as dps specc / gear early on, rather than letting him run straight into a wall once he hits 60+.

In all honesty I do miss having a DPS tank and a DPS healer in Wrath 5 mans killing bosses in 20 seconds...ah good times

10+ Year Old Account
    ds is 10g now...thanks blizz ill take my 3k refund for all the toons i bought it for (dot) (dot) (dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    At that point, you're so few points into your tree that your talents are almost negligible anyway
    The differences are a bit more dramatic now with the newer talent system. At level 10, when you choose your specialization you (generally) get a key ability, which makes a very significant difference in playstyle. In addition, classic dungeon bosses were retuned to actually be challenging at the appropriate level now, so in some cases (Lord Godfrey comes to mind), not having your healer and the tank in the right spec and gear can make a dungeon impossible to complete even at low levels.

Deleted
    I've recently got in a party where the tank, bear, had 150k hp with luck of the draw 3 stacks, priest buff and pala buff... When i checked his gear it was 333 cat gear + 346 boomkin elements... He were goin down so fast that ive basically tanked the whole instance with some help from pala... I dont mind dpses tanking, if they can survive it go and tank, but weak tanks... bye bye mates you will be booted instantly from my party :]

Oh and im enha, dont believe my sig, it lies!
    Last edited by mmoc06ad6952ac; 2011-02-22 at 04:57 PM.

OMG, I just got out of a dungeon run where only 1st few pack of mobs where cleared. I thought why would the tank leave? Or was he kicked?
    Ah well i just run along to catch up with the group, only to find out they are just proceding without a tank.
    An atonement priest of course, btw this was Halls of Lightning normal. Normally i dont mind at all, do your thing make use of your talents being OP at this point.
    But here is what bugged, the healer first asked me to respecc. I did not do that, as for i didn't had my DPS gear with me. Then he continualy insisted that I was "pointless". As you can see this made me rather not willing to do my for tanking or dpsing what so ever. So I was walking along in battle stance hitting a couple a mobs. And now here is the funniest thing he said to me almost at the end, before the last boss. "Lol, see pointless tank! Overaggro by healer".
    I did not even care to reply!

So now I'm sitting here thinking: "Oh man will cata dungeons hit you in the face!" And tbh I would like so much to be grouped up with him again in a cataclysm dungeon!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Should also make it that you can only roll on gear your currently queued for also. Very irritating as a tank and some dps DK rolls NEED on everything for their OS.

If you want a Tank OS, queue as a bloody tank, greedy gits.
    This. Sweet undulating Christ it ticks me off when a Ret Paladin steals my loot. You'd think that anyone wearing that much intellect cloth would have the brains to know it's not his for the taking...

Deleted
    I feel the same as you. Tanking in DPS spec and DPS gear in Cata heroics is just plain wrong.

When I run heroics with the guild, I pop DPS gear and tank spec, just because I know our healer will be able to heal it easily, and then we effectively have 4 DPSers..

But I would never tank a heroic in DPS gear with a pug healer, either they struggle to heal it, or just whine. Despite being able to heal it...

Ah well, give it until 4.2 or so, and every heroic will be doable with 5 DPSers...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Speaking of dualspec being so cheap now... I'd like the extra 5940g I spent back in WOTLK on dualspeccing retconned back into my bags, please.
    This, along with all the money I spent extra on Cold Weather Flying (It's been halved) AND the gold I've spent on the old mount costs (Back when they were at 40 and 60, and flying at 70) - I loathe blizz for this more than anything.

OT: I absolutely agree, I can't stand a tank who uses DPS specs.. The amount of fury warriors I've had to try and heal on my shaman/priest is ridiculous. They didn't even have a shield fgs!