Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mastery-Sunfire + insect swarm spam

Hey I was thinking. What if you reforged all mastery, got into solar eclipse and kept insect swarm up and spammed sunfire along with CD's. Then used starsurge when it proc's from dots. I bet you could do pretty close to equal dps as normal. Has anyone tested this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnburger View Post
    Hey I was thinking. What if you reforged all mastery, got into solar eclipse and kept insect swarm up and spammed sunfire along with CD's. Then used starsurge when it proc's from dots. I bet you could do pretty close to equal dps as normal. Has anyone tested this?
    No. It's bad.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted
    I got around 6/7k dps by doing just this. This was before 4.0.3a though.
    Now I have 50% damage from Eclipse. In PvP, this is very cool ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    No. It's bad.
    lol k, have you tried it?

---------- Post added 2010-11-26 at 01:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Evassac View Post
    I got around 6/7k dps by doing just this. This was before 4.0.3a though.
    Now I have 50% damage from Eclipse. In PvP, this is very cool ^^
    haha ya i figured, it would be insane for pvp. maybe not pve tho.
    How big of crits are you getting with sunfire spam with that 50% eclipse damage?

this is all i see druids do in pvp now ; ) IS Solarspam proc kammehammeha and dead.. in raids though I think you should rather just do normal rotation.. though for AoE dps on my boomkin I cba hurricaning I just tab dot and spam procs every 2sec ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    It works at 80 using SF, IS, Starfall and Treants. You do less DPS than normal, not half, but still it's a loss.
    Problem is, at 85 you won't be able to keep it up, since it will be too mana intensive without Euphoria, even without taking the DPS loss into account.

Very viable for grinding mobs, but not for raiding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol k, have you tried it?
    No I blindly clear all content not knowing a single thing about my class.

There's several reasons why it's bad. First off, well, it's just bad. Second off, well, once you use so many starsurges that you drop eclipse, what are you going to do?

Gimmicks are just that. Gimmicks.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

There's several reasons why it's bad. First off, well, it's just bad. Second off, well, once you use so many starsurges that you drop eclipse, what are you going to do?

spam back to the next eclipse

I'm sorry... I must have misunderstood or completely missed your reasoning. I seem to be having a problem seeing past your ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    I'm sorry... I must have misunderstood or completely missed your reasoning. I seem to be having a problem seeing past your ego.
    hahaha ^

even with the dps increas our mastery is horrible, you shouldent gear for it till cata if your taking from your haste/ int/ crit for mastery your wrong. and yes i have crunched the numbers our uptime for our mastery to be usefull does not outweigh the other benifits you get from other stats (unless you somehow happen to be over 2k haste) this includes pvp.
    Just spaming solar fire unless your in pvp is a bad waste of the dot you are losing all your other ticks from the dot while you could be using wrath which with IS swarm does far more damage than SF alone.

lol

It will probably do less dps then normal rotation, never try it tho.
    Probably if it, for some strange motivation, works better than normal rotation, blizz is going to fix that. So if it works don t spam it in forums so devs aren't going to nerf us :P
    lvl 85 troll druid - Balance pvp&pve, resto pvp&pve
    lvl 85 troll mage - Frost/Fire
    lvl 80 troll rogue - Ass/Sub
    lvl 80 troll shaman - Ele/resto
    lvl 85 orc hunter - Sv/MM

Live the good side of life, think optimistic, they aren't going to nerf you <xD

I didnt tested it but im sure that its viable in pvp. Even without mastery you can basicaly use that tactic in kitting mode for melee (with additions of typhoon and roots).

Some things why its just wrong...
    1. In pve on bossfight you will need more actions like with normal rotation.. (still moving a+d + every 1,5s sunfire)
    2. If someone will outheal it you will feel retarded (you tried to cheeze, but failed).
    3. Its just super boring after some time in pve and pvp. (something like ice lance spam, many mages dont like it)

Quote Originally Posted by Madus View Post
    I didnt tested it but im sure that its viable in pvp. Even without mastery you can basicaly use that tactic in kitting mode for melee (with additions of typhoon and roots).

Some things why its just wrong...
    1. In pve on bossfight you will need more actions like with normal rotation.. (still moving a+d + every 1,5s sunfire)
    2. If someone will outheal it you will feel retarded (you tried to cheeze, but failed).
    3. Its just super boring after some time in pve and pvp. (something like ice lance spam, many mages dont like it)
    haha mages don't like it? they should be the last to talk.

Deleted
    With no customization, I tried using only IS and sunfire spawm (and an occasional treant, starfall and starsurge), but i could only press out about 60-70% of my stand still damage - which seems rather consistent with the math we have.

I completely see why you would assume that a ton of mastery is nice, because you are "always in solar eclipse". The only problem is that you are only buffing IS and the direct damage component of sunfire, which is inevitably less than what the DOT could round up. So while you are buffing the spells, you are also limiting them by spamming them (or at least, spamming sunfire).

15+ Year Old Account
    This question comes up every 3-4 days, and anyone with any real knowledge of how the class works can blatantly see why it's bad. After awhile I get tired of actually trying to explain to bad players why it's bad.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    The only problem is that you are only buffing IS and the direct damage component of sunfire, which is inevitably less than what the DOT could round up. So while you are buffing the spells, you are also limiting them by spamming them (or at least, spamming sunfire).
    I thought they fixed dots in whatever patch and allowed them not to be clipped by reapplying. Even though you're constantly reapplying the debuff the dot still ticks. So it'd be 100% uptime of both Insect Swarm and Sunfire + Sunfire Direct damage * Mastery / Stupidity ^2. You're probably not going to see it decent DPS, but as people said it's amazing for PvP and sub par to normal rotation/gearing.

This question comes up every 3-4 days, and anyone with any real knowledge of how the class works can blatantly see why it's bad. After awhile I get tired of actually trying to explain to bad players why it's bad.
    we weren't arguing that it is good. Just when you said what do you do when eclipse wears off just sounded kind of dumb

15+ Year Old Account
    we weren't arguing that it is good. Just when you said what do you do when eclipse wears off just sounded kind of dumb
    Uh, how? Because if you're going to starsurge on every shooting stars proc (which is what you claim in your original post), you eventually WILL leave the Eclipse. And if you plan on sitting on starsurge once you're in danger of leaving Eclipse, you've then lost a big chunk of the DPS you claim from your "rotation".
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Uh, how? Because if you're going to starsurge on every shooting stars proc (which is what you claim in your original post), you eventually WILL leave the Eclipse. And if you plan on sitting on starsurge once you're in danger of leaving Eclipse, you've then lost a big chunk of the DPS you claim from your "rotation".
    no once you leave eclipse you could spam some wrath up to the next 1.