Critique My Moonkin DPS!

Well, it's about time I throw my hat in for some insight from you lovely people. I like to think I'm pretty well read on the class and do most of the right things, but it never hurts to have some extra opinions.

My Armory

Things I'm aware of:
    I understand that the reckless gems in my belt and boots are not 100% maxing/minning, but my guild isn't cutting edge progression and our dps is definitely not what's holding us back.

My cloak sucks. The Drape of the Twins is next in line for me, in which case I'll enchant it with the good intellect enchant.

I know I'm .03% short of the hit cap. If anyone sees a better way to reforge to get it at cap without going well over, I'm open to suggestions.

And logs from last night.

We had a couple new people going with us last night. Lots of our core raiders have had RL issues between having a new baby, to more-than-usual work issues, to starting back to school, so we've struggled to keep a clean, problem free raid (hence wipes on Magmaw, ODS, etc. that we're usually 1-shotting).

Anyways, ask questions, leave comments, whatever you think I could find value in. Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzyb View Post
    Well, it's about time I throw my hat in for some insight from you lovely people. I like to think I'm pretty well read on the class and do most of the right things, but it never hurts to have some extra opinions.

My Armory

Things I'm aware of:
    I understand that the reckless gems in my belt and boots are not 100% maxing/minning, but my guild isn't cutting edge progression and our dps is definitely not what's holding us back.

My cloak sucks. The Drape of the Twins is next in line for me, in which case I'll enchant it with the good intellect enchant.

I know I'm .03% short of the hit cap. If anyone sees a better way to reforge to get it at cap without going well over, I'm open to suggestions.

And logs from last night.

We had a couple new people going with us last night. Lots of our core raiders have had RL issues between having a new baby, to more-than-usual work issues, to starting back to school, so we've struggled to keep a clean, problem free raid (hence wipes on Magmaw, ODS, etc. that we're usually 1-shotting).

Anyways, ask questions, leave comments, whatever you think I could find value in. Thanks in advance.
    Gems :
    Lightning Lash: have 2 +40 int gems on them
    Fading violet sandals : change to +40 int gem

Enchants:
    Back should be greater intellect
    Bracers should be mighty intellect
    Feet - Lavawalker

As for getting to hit cap it shouldnt be too hard, just try different things.

On your head get the rigid cogwheel in place of the quick cog wheel, then reforge again to get as much crit / mastery into any hit you need and then when hit capped go to haste.

hope it helps, if im wrong anywhere im sure someone will point it out

Deleted
    Well first off, your DPS is absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about there. Thats not to say we can't improve it somewhere!

I'm not going to go into loot, because you are probably aware of this already, and you will get those as you keep going at it.

Your cogwheels are fine. I took haste + spirit as well, because it goes a long way to reach the cap, and we have to reforge less stats in other places. Your cloak is missing the parashute. I feel that this tinker is imperative for surviving the Elevator of Death in BWD. I would change the Int/haste gem in your belt for a pure Int gem - it's red, so just go for that.

Regarding talents, you can do a bit of tweaking here. This all depends on how your mana is looking in fights. Gale Winds is fine to take, because on some fights there are several adds to kill, and if there are three targets or more, it's generally worth casting it over a wrath (if it's talented). In fact, pretty much 6 out of the 12 raid fights has a use for a talented Typhoon.

If your mana is fine in all fights, you can take points out of Furor, and even Dreamstate. I have left a single point in Dreamstate, and gone for Blessing of the Grove as well.

The biggest upgrade you could get is the tier pieces. I realise that these are the shoulder piece, which you need to kill Cho'Gall for (you'll get there) and the chest piece, which you can get from valor. It's really a nice upgrade. Also, consider playing around with the IS/MF/SF glyph build described in the moonkin guide. If you can pull it off, it is also a DPS increase.

As for your hit cap, don't worry about it. 0.03% is not going to make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    Well first off, your DPS is absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about there. Thats not to say we can't improve it somewhere!

I'm not going to go into loot, because you are probably aware of this already, and you will get those as you keep going at it.

Your cogwheels are fine. I took haste + spirit as well, because it goes a long way to reach the cap, and we have to reforge less stats in other places. Your cloak is missing the parashute. I feel that this tinker is imperative for surviving the Elevator of Death in BWD. I would change the Int/haste gem in your belt for a pure Int gem - it's red, so just go for that.

Regarding talents, you can do a bit of tweaking here. This all depends on how your mana is looking in fights. Gale Winds is fine to take, because on some fights there are several adds to kill, and if there are three targets or more, it's generally worth casting it over a wrath (if it's talented). In fact, pretty much 6 out of the 12 raid fights has a use for a talented Typhoon.

If your mana is fine in all fights, you can take points out of Furor, and even Dreamstate. I have left a single point in Dreamstate, and gone for Blessing of the Grove as well.

The biggest upgrade you could get is the tier pieces. I realise that these are the shoulder piece, which you need to kill Cho'Gall for (you'll get there) and the chest piece, which you can get from valor. It's really a nice upgrade. Also, consider playing around with the IS/MF/SF glyph build described in the moonkin guide. If you can pull it off, it is also a DPS increase.

As for your hit cap, don't worry about it. 0.03% is not going to make a huge difference.
    Great stuff, man. I thought about changing the glyphs and trying out SF over SS, so now that I've heard it from you, it's time. Also, my mana hasn't been a problem since the patch, and now that we're on Cho'gall, I can see a lot of value from Gale Winds (or maybe even Fungal Growth if we don't have a hunter).

And we were doing our first Cho'gall attempts last night, getting him around 50% everytime. We've since theorycrafted and hopefully he goes down next time we're in there. And believe me, I'm well aware of what that sexy 4pT11 buff can do for me.

Thanks again.

I can't check your gear because you've logged out in feral gear, but I looked at your numbers and they look good for someone who doesn't have 4 set and who doesn't have full 359 yet. Your Atramedes log especially looks very solid considering the movement involved and such.

I'd worry more about some of the other raiders, unless they are severely undergeared.

Also, if you are working on cho'gall with those dps numbers, you should go with 2 healers from the start or you are going to most likely have massive problems.
    Last edited by Pokty; 2011-02-24 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokty View Post
    I can't check your gear because you've logged out in feral gear, but I looked at your numbers and they look good for someone who doesn't have 4 set and who doesn't have full 359 yet. Your Atramedes log especially looks very solid considering the movement involved and such.

I'd worry more about some of the other raiders, unless they are severely undergeared.
    Thanks for your kind words, Pokty. I wasn't looking for big changes, but smaller, more max/min type things. Qieth gave me exactly what I was looking for in changing SS glyph out from SF and tweaking the spec since I don't need the mana.

I was leading raids from the ICC to very recently and now I'm just raiding with some good people I use to play with. We're still trying to work around real life changes (babies, new job hours, deployed in the Middle East, etc) to have a strong core and get stuff done. The only thing I can/care to focus on is myself now.

On ur Hit cap, I find it best to unforge everything and reforge piece by piece and watch ur Hit at the sametime. I tend do this after 4 new items or so to make sure im maxing out my gear.
    Im No nomral Chicken, Im no Extra Crispy Style. Im Extra Spicy BoomChicken Lazer of Doom.