My upgrade idea and your thoughts

Hey all, İ'm thinking of an upgrade and wanted to ask your thoughts as well.My currecnt setup;

Asus P5K SE mobo, intel core2duo E6750, 4gb ddr2 ram @800mhz, asus en8800 gts 640mb gpu, running on w7 64bit. Been using it for 3,5 years without any problems.

I'm thinking to upgrade the cpu to quadcore and graphics card to nvidia gtx 570 (my mobo supports both), thats all.Dont want to make a new pc.

Now my questions;

1) My mobo has pci express x16 slot on it, i made some reaserch and i can use new cards ( pci express 2.0, 2.1 ) on this as well.But, will i experience any preformance loss bcause of this?
    2) will my current 500 watt power supply be enough for this changes?
    3) What you think of this generally? Is it a logical upgrade or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. You won't notice much of a performance loss for a single GPU setup, no.
    2. If it's a decent brand PSU, then yes.
    3. Naaaah.. Maybe.. You'd need a VERY decent, high clocked Core2Quad for a VERY reasonable price to make it worth over just swapping the motherboard to a newer socket.

You could, if strapped for cash, upgrade GPU first (GTX 570 is of right now a little bit overkill for just WoW, but we don't know what the future brings.. else go GTX 560/HD 68X0) and switch for a new mobo+cpu combo later.

Edit: I'll add to it that C2Q's need better cooling for higher clock speeds compared to C2D, and clocking above 3 GHz (either by OC or stock) would be preferable.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-02-23 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted
    Answers

1) No
    2) Entirely depends of the quality of your Power Supply. My guess is that you'll probably have to invest in a new one. Is your current setup something you've built yourself?
    3) No, the 775 platform is old technology. The 570GTX is a highend card that will be wasted on all but the most powerful socket 775 CPUs, which will most likely need to be overclocked. The price/performance ratio will be pretty dire.

Building a new computer will certainly be the way to go and saving for new technology will most likely save you money in the long run, since you'll be investing in more efficient technology.

Edit: Damn you Wries.

1) It's pci-e 1.1, so you will see some performance loss compared to a proper 2.0. Comparing to your current gpu it will still be like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, you will see major performance boost.

2) Depends on your PSU, 500w is not enough information. If it's as old as your other components, most likely you need a new PSU.

3) Personally I think it's kinda silly upgrade, I'd much rather save a bit more money and sell the old stuff for couple hundred bucks and buy whole new set (Sandy Bridge preferably). I mean if you're really upgrading to C2Quad they aren't exactly cheapest either, even though they are OLD. And your other parts like HDD are propably gonna blow up soon anyway. 3.5 years is pretty long age for a computer that is on daily use (presumably).