Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How to politely leave a guild / Stop raiding.

Hello.

So, I'm kinda bored with Cataclysm. Got exalted with everything, not interested in doing old world stuff... only raiding left on the new content (Heroics are now useless since I outgear them) and frankly, it's taking a good chunk of time I could use for more fulfilling activities, like sleeping more for more uptime during the day, instead of oversleeping my saturdays and sundays.

Thing is, I got in that guild a month ago, and am in a core raiding group, as the only rogue. So, I need to leave, or, at least, stop raiding. But, I don't know how to do it. Sure, I could say: I leave, goodbye, but I find that kinda harsh. While their opinion of me is irrelevant, since I don't intend to raid and do not partake in the social aspect of the game (which is why I hate heroics, they make me have a heart attack because of the stupidity of the players)... still, the fear... the irrational fear of making them mad, while irrational, is still here.

So, how do I quit raiding?

"Hey guys I lost interest in the game and I'm leaving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Good excuses are:

I have to leave for military service.
    I have to go into hospital for an operation.
    My bf won't let me play WoW anymore because I won't have sex with him.

All of these have worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    Your 14.99 entitles you to play the game however you want. However, the rest of our $359.76 says learn your fucking class

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone is always going to be butthurt over you leaving the raiding scene weather you're polite about it or not.

...Just take a deep breath and make the plunge I guess.

Yep straight to the point and be honest.

They are going to feel what they are going to feel. Nothing you can do about that, but if you're straight and honest then it will all work out. The people who matter will understand.

Mom aggro, g2g, kthanxbye /gquit

well tell them what you already wrote here: that you have finished the aspects of the game that interested you and that you will go on a hiatus for some time to prioritize real life stuff. dont lie, dont be too concerned about "ruining" a relationship that probably isnt even there, just dont be an ass about it. people do what you want to do all the time, every expansion, every content tier. as a seasoned player you get used to it and in two weeks i probably wouldnt even remember your name.

Deleted
    "I'm going to stop raiding because of ___ and you might want to find someone to replace me in raids. Luckily for you I'm nice enough to continue to raid untill you find someone."

Or something

Quote Originally Posted by Nyther View Post
    Good excuses are:

I have to leave for military service.
    I have to go into hospital for an operation.
    My bf won't let me play WoW anymore because I won't have sex with him.

All of these have worked for me.
    Don't be a douche and make up excuses. People are surprisingly understanding if you are honest with them. Be honest. Tell them whats up. If you want to soften the blow tell them you are just taking a break, not quitting forever. You never know, it may be true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyPete View Post
    "Hey guys I lost interest in the game and I'm leaving."
    But still, prepare to be backstabbed and shouted at. They will hate you for making them a player short.

1. Never log in again (they can make up theyre own story of what happened to you)
    2. Tell them the game no longer interests you and leave.
    3. Wait tell late at night when no one is on and leave, doubt theyll look thro and see if your still in the guild.

I dont see people getting mad over this, i know i wouldnt. You can just blatenly say your tired of playing, most people would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Don't be a douche and make up excuses. People are surprisingly understanding if you are honest with them. Be honest. Tell them whats up. If you want to soften the blow tell them you are just taking a break, not quitting forever. You never know, it may be true.
    ^ what he said.

Always be honest. Being honest means that you can have a clear conscience about how you treated the guild that has been great to you and avoids burning bridges. Tell an officer that you want to leave the game / have a WoW vacation / go casual because you don't enjoy the game anymore. Offer to contribute mats / elixirs / gold for the trouble the guild went through (especially since they are worth nothing to you if you are leaving).

/g my friend told me that /gquit has a confirmation box now.
    <player> has left the guild.
    [Oldguildie] whispers: lol?
    [Oldguildie] has invited you to join the guild <OldGuild>.
    /afk

So, in most guilds there's someone just waiting to take your place. It'll be ok. It's just a game; if it's not fun then don't play. If you're not into the social aspect of the game then you shouldn't give a fuck about how these people feel. They won't hate you as long as you don't take a bunch of loot and immediately gquit.

"Hey guys, this game is killing my life and it's not fun for me anymore. Best of luck."

That should do it.

Since we did we give warnings when gquitting? I always left after an insult.

Just be strait up and tell them the truth. Let them know why you're leaving and (perhaps) that you're sorry you (may or may not be) leaving them an empty melee DPS spot that they're going to have to fill. There's no real way sugarcoat it if you don't just wanna lie. It comes down to the fact that it's just a game and you no longer want to invest the time to play it... if they're reasonable people they'll understand completely.

If you've only been there a month it shouldn't really matter. New recruits often drop out of raiding guilds, raiding or the game in general (since cata my guild has recruited 10-ish people and only 1 actually still plays the game).

Tell them your work hours have changed, you got a new job, school/GF/BF is demanding more of your time - just make up something plausible if you aren't comfortable telling them the truth (assuming none of them know you IRL).

I'd say either just tell them you are done raiding and stop showing up, or tell them you are done raiding but you will stay for a few more weeks so they can try and fill in the spot.

If you actually do care about them, I'd suggest the second one. I don't think it is unreasonable to do the first though just as long as you said, you simply don't want to raid this much anymore and don't want to play wow this much anymore. If they don't understand that, they clearly care more about themselves than you, therefore you shouldn't care about making them mad.

Deleted
    Do you realy need an excuse to leave? If you are bored of this game and dont wana play any more just /gquit and dont give a f*ck.