Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sandy Bridge & p67 h67 mobos

So I know a lot of talk has been going around about the defective (kinda) p67 and h67 mobos... My problem is that I'm looking to build a new PC, mainly because I just need to upgrade but Rift coming out was what kicked it into gear. So I need something to play Rift flawlessly and I still play WoW as well. The question is, is it worth it to wait for the mobo's to start shipping again so that I can go with that and a Sandy Bridge i5 or should I just build with a different processor now? Is there a good idea on when the mobo's will be shipping again? I've heard a few different things. I have around a $1200 budget for a machine with no peripherals... I'm sure I could build a plenty capable machine with that now, but I want the best bang for my buck.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiferus EX View Post
    So I know a lot of talk has been going around about the defective (kinda) p67 and h67 mobos... My problem is that I'm looking to build a new PC, mainly because I just need to upgrade but Rift coming out was what kicked it into gear. So I need something to play Rift flawlessly and I still play WoW as well. The question is, is it worth it to wait for the mobo's to start shipping again so that I can go with that and a Sandy Bridge i5 or should I just build with a different processor now? Is there a good idea on when the mobo's will be shipping again? I've heard a few different things. I have around a $1200 budget for a machine with no peripherals... I'm sure I could build a plenty capable machine with that now, but I want the best bang for my buck.

Thanks.
    You should check out the list on the front page a few posts down. It has a nice set up for all kinds of builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Wait for the new mobos they crush in performance and price/performance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulion View Post
    Wait for the new mobos they crush in performance and price/performance
    What new Mobos? The only change on 1155 new revised P67 and H67's is the reinforced interconnect and transistor between the SATA Ports and Chipset. Do you mean LGA 2011? If so it's not expected until late Q3 or Q4.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    What new Mobos? The only change on 1155 new revised P67 and H67's is the reinforced interconnect and transistor between the SATA Ports and Chipset. Do you mean LGA 2011? If so it's not expected until late Q3 or Q4.
    I assume he means when they start shipping the 1155's again, which is what I was asking... should I wait for that? Thanks for the opinion Tulion. Just wish I new how long it was going to be, i'm getting antsy.

It depends on the number of drives you're running off the SATA ports. If your computer is never going to use the affected ports, then it's really a non-issue. I believe that ports 2-5 are the bad ports, and 0 and 1 are just fine. So, if you have less than 2 drives running off SATA, then there's no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not in a major hurry you are definitely better off waiting for April-ish when the P67 boards are fixed and back in stores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortiferus EX View Post
    I assume he means when they start shipping the 1155's again, which is what I was asking... should I wait for that? Thanks for the opinion Tulion. Just wish I new how long it was going to be, i'm getting antsy.
    An Intel Representative claimed that replacement boards should be available as early as Mid-March. Also, many P67's have secondary SATA Controllers like Marvel that are also usable in this situation. Keep in mind too that this issue will only exhibit itself over time.

Intel Representative:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/perma...ad.aspx#686389

The new P67/H67's are expected to be exactly the same as the B2 Revision P67's just without the flaw. By the time though they've released the new boards, a new microcode update is expected to be available to improve overall overclocking further and hard drive performance.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    ...By the time though they've released the new boards, a new microcode update is expected to be available to improve overall overclocking further and hard drive performance.
    So is that a driver update or BIOS flash that can be applied to all P67 boards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    So is that a driver update or BIOS flash that can be applied to all P67 boards?
    It'll be a bios flash for P67's and Intels new RST Drivers.

Wait till the p67 re-release. They are worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    You should check out the list on the front page a few posts down. It has a nice set up for all kinds of builds.
    No he shouldn't only the cheapest one of those is actually something I might even recommend. Rest are just... meh. But then again, I guess he had to make them without Sandy Bridge because of the chipset problems.

Anyway, wait for the fixed sandy bridge motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by fizyx View Post
    It depends on the number of drives you're running off the SATA ports. If your computer is never going to use the affected ports, then it's really a non-issue. I believe that ports 2-5 are the bad ports, and 0 and 1 are just fine. So, if you have less than 2 drives running off SATA, then there's no problem.
    I went with this logic myself. Also take note that SATA ports via third party controllers are not affected by the flaw either (for example the ones on the Marvell controller on ASUS P8P67 boards).

I went with the aforementioned ASUS board, as I doubt I'll ever need more than 4 SATA ports. Of course, if you're planning an SSD and some RAID composition of several other storage disks, you might be affected, in which case you're better off waiting if possible.

Deleted
    i would not expact the "new" p67 boards to be in stores before early april. anyway if you can hold up until then, wait. the new i5 2500k is a beast when it comes to gaming-performance, plus it can be overclocked easily to something upwards of 4GHz wich gives you just another huge performance-boost. the mainboards cost about the same compared to s1156 ones, and the 2500k cpu comes in at about the price of an i5-760 but with unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking and a lot better performance even at stock speeds, so you get more performance for the same money.

Wait. It's worth for, as the performance/dollar ratio is so incredibly better on the new models.
    I know headstart for RIFT is calling, but the wise man knows when waiting is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainni View Post
    i would not expact the "new" p67 boards to be in stores before early april. anyway if you can hold up until then, wait. the new i5 2500k is a beast when it comes to gaming-performance, plus it can be overclocked easily to something upwards of 4GHz wich gives you just another huge performance-boost. the mainboards cost about the same compared to s1156 ones, and the 2500k cpu comes in at about the price of an i5-760 but with unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking and a lot better performance even at stock speeds, so you get more performance for the same money.
    Hopefully the Intel Rep here on Newegg's forums is correct.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/perma...ad.aspx#686389

Quote Originally Posted by IntelEnthusiast
    Guys,
    I have some good news for all of you due to the hard work of a number of people in Intel®; a number of “6” boards will be able sooner than expected. You can expect to see a number of Intel P67 and H67 series boards available by Mid-March. I expect a number of other board makers to have their boards in stock in short order to.

Also important to know that Intel will be changing the Part # to show a B3 on the end to show that it has the new B3 stepping. For example you will see a BOXDP67BGB3 or a BOXDH67CLB3.

Hopefully the Intel Rep here on Newegg's forums is correct.
    Wooo! Hope so... Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I'm waiting. My current machine is capable at least.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone gaining a preference for which Sandy Bridge mobo?
    Been looking over a p67 from Asus with their new UEFI and the ability to go from the stock settings right to a mild overclock right from their new bios system UEFI and I must say I'm liking what I'm seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBN-cBPs98

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you plan to overclock, according to a post on hwbot.org MSI and ASUS boards overclock the best.

I just wish they would hurry up. I was just starting to build a new computer when these were recalled. I have everything now BUT the mobo. I am so itching to put this thing together.