Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post
    What a strange response. He clearly said he has hit/exp gear for heroics. In raids, the priority is staying alive. Your numbers at which point you "should not even come close to dieing [sic]" are entirely situational for the content that you're doing.
    the numbers i put up were from elitist jerks and so is wat im thinking is his hit/exp is at coz most prot pallies think its acceptable to have 3-4% hit and it just isn't, as dps i pull off any prot pally with this much hit, it just cozzes problems, far to many for wat could be dealt with easily, second with 50% block he should not be taking much dmg thats like having a 40% CD up half the time ur in combat, not including spells of course, but u know u do have multiple CDs to use too.... when i tank heroes i rarely come below 50% hp, use ur CDs wisely and it should be fairly easy to stay alive

Deleted
    I recently leveled a prot paladin, I spent 80 levels completely facerolling everything. Nearly every group I was in I did 60%+ of the total damage, never lost a mob to anyone, and could heal myself through 95% of the content using just WoG.

Then I hit 80 and did some Cata dungeons and the difficulty jump was insane, i'm not saying they were super hard but the dungeons before it were so easy that I just wasn't used to doing anything that required even the tiniest bit of skill. It gets harder and alot more fun at 80-81, its just s shame you have to wait so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    the numbers i put up were from elitist jerks and so is wat im thinking is his hit/exp is at coz most prot pallies think its acceptable to have 3-4% hit and it just isn't, as dps i pull off any prot pally with this much hit, it just cozzes problems, far to many for wat could be dealt with easily, second with 50% block he should not be taking much dmg thats like having a 40% CD up half the time ur in combat, not including spells of course, but u know u do have multiple CDs to use too.... when i tank heroes i rarely come below 50% hp, use ur CDs wisely and it should be fairly easy to stay alive
    Well EJ is wrong, so wrong infact that's it's laughable, "go for hardcap expertise" for one. wtf? Alot of it seems to be calculated in late wotlk/early cata by assumtions of how things would look like further up in time, and poorly updated.
    I have a grand total of 58 hit (0,48%), and a grand total of 0 expertise (10 with glyph). Yes, that's really all you need. Don't have threat issues in raids or heroics, and am virtually unkillable with the wide array of defensive cd's and goodies.
    It's all about how you play and what you got lined up for if/when you get a miss/parry/dodge.
    For trigger happy dps there's several ways to go about it. Melle: BoP them, they'll like that! Casters just let them die due to their own stupidity, repair bills will inspire growth for more braincells.

And to answer the OP, yes it really is that simple if played properly.
    Last edited by KingChaos; 2011-02-28 at 02:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You will remain top DPS until 85. Tankadin is the easiest class to tank with. Pretty easy rotation and good tools, but expect to have many rivals since every guild has tones of paladins as healers and tanks these days.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Avenger's shield is absolutely bananas until cata HP boosts. In low lvl bgs with heirlooms, crits with it will 1 shot non-heirlooms

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea it will get a bit harder evnetually. That being said Paladins are probably the easiest class to level, pretty much op all the way.
    WoW leveling is not even fun today, doing a discpriest now and if the tank and dps are not 100% nabs and tank gets to keep agro on eveything I can pretty much heal with Powerword Shields only.

BLZ decided that since we were maxlvl 80, then 85 that leveling should be a bit faster. Sadly they made it so patheticly easy that it is no wonder why new players often suck so bad at maxlevel. Simply cos the game never demanded any form of skill up untill maxlvl.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2011-02-28 at 08:35 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoncourt View Post
    I've recently started on another server with a few of my old guildies, and I decided that I was sick of waiting for a year and a day to get a dungeon group as a Rogue. I figure, I've already raided as a Healer pre-Cataclysm, so I fancy a bit of a change - Tanking.

Death Knight, Warrior, Paladin or Druid? I've played DK to the death (no pun intended), I've been scarred for life leveling Warrior through WotLK, and I didn't want to play a Worgen or Night Elf. I hope that by now you've realised, based on the location of this thread, that I started leveling a Paladin.

I beast my way to level 10, picking up a random green shield in Elwynn, and choose Prot. Avenger's Shield... Powerful much? My ActionBar hasn't changed since then. 1 = Avengers Shield, 2 = Crusader Strike, 3 = Judgement, 4 = Word of Glory. I've just hit 30, so I'll probably switch CS with HotR - but beyond that there's not alot I can really see me changing. I've tanked every instance since 15, not had a single problem, pulling 5+ mobs at a time, depending on the situation. Just bashing the same 3 buttons and occassionally smashing 4 a few times. I've not had much competition from DPS so far, I've always been top of the list on Recount by a long way - so I'm hoping that when DPS start to take off, things will get a little challenging.

Does it get harder at higher levels? And if so, how much harder? Surely this isn't the life of a Protadin. I'm enjoying dominating a random group, but 55 levels of feeling like I'm actually doing the dungeon by myself will definitely annoy me.
    Yes leveling is that easy (its not just the tanks).

If you want fun and challenge you could actually do the dungeons yourself. I leveled two paladings both via grinding and soloing instances in the levelrange. Its quite a blast to make it through Uldaman all by yourself or doing 4+ Levels in one night in BRD or tackling the sunken Temple with all quests.
    You also learn several very important tank skills leveling wont teach you: When and why to use cooldowns, which Seals used when and how to kite 3 adds via AS + Glpyh while you heal yourself a bit. (useful in case the healer is dead)
    I think WoG made soloing much easier, but you probably still need some enchants and Seal of Light from time to time.

But its as fast als normal dungeon chaining but much more fun.

Deleted
    As someone said, you, aka 95% of the tanks will be topping the dmg meters until Northrend, im 68 on my enchance shaman and im struggling to top the meters in every dungeon and imo my dps is crazy.

Deleted
    I've been playing protection for quite some time now, as an offspec during wrath and as a mainspec from day 1 of cataclysm.

The most solid advice i can give you is - take everyones advice with a pinch of salt - you will get lots of contradictory advice so it's best just to practice, practice and practice untill you know what suits you, if someone strongly advises something it doesn't hurt to try it in a dungeon or two to see if it suits you.

Protection paladins are unique on a player by player basis, what makes me a very effective tank might make someone else a terrible tank.

Here's my armory link, feel free to check out what i've gemmed for and talented and compare it to other prot palas. eu.battle dot net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/theelis/advanced

DPS meters are a little skewed. Due to the DPS not having good reliable AoE (such as rogues not getting FoK until 80), and tanks needing a reliable aoe sooner (HotR), dps fall behind in aoe pulls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaney View Post
    Yes, it is that easy
    Quoted for truth.

It is easy to tank with prot. I know because I've been doing it since I leveled my pally back in wrath.

It is easy in heroics right now because prot pallies have the most AoE threat tools (the only things i want are, a target-able consecration like dk's DnD, and a "get in my face now" mechanic like charge or death grip, then I'll rofl my way home) and solid single target threat (i have never been out aggro'd in a heroic or a raid on a boss fight).

Quote Originally Posted by fox1012 View Post
    DPS meters are a little skewed. Due to the DPS not having good reliable AoE (such as rogues not getting FoK until 80), and tanks needing a reliable aoe sooner (HotR), dps fall behind in aoe pulls.
    This is off-topic but.... just spec combat and use blade flurry + glyph and you will seriously carry the entire group for the duration of the dungeon. I'm currently averaging 40% of the groups damage done as a combat rogue while leveling.

Deleted
    Tanking isn't hard. DPSing isn't hard, and funnily enough Healing isn't hard.
    Fixing stupid however, is impossible. This gives the illusion of some players having 'skill' and some having less. When they are simply 'not stupid'.

True story.