Design: agile shadowspirit diamond just dropped and....

I'm a jc, and a hunter, so this would be right up my alley, but I looked up the price the recipe was selling for(7-9k on the ah) and the prices of the cuts:
    agile shadowspirit diamond 250g
    shadowspirit diamond 350g+

What's the deal with that? How would you make money with this recipe? I just decided to sell it for 7k.
    Seems like this is the case with a lot of wanted gems on my server, the cuts are cheaper then the materials to make them, is this specific to my fairly large server or is this how it usually works?

Well this is because you actually devalue the raw material when you cut it. If the cuts were rare or hard to get it would be the other way around. The skill or ability to cut the gem is not the limiting factor. The supply of raw gems is the limiting factor and therefore cutting a gem will actually devalue it.

The new metagems are an example of the recipe becoming not rare in a very short period of time. Even with relatively uncommon drops the availability will always go up over time and therefore the price will go down. Unless they made the recipes one use items or something, but then just add a rare mat to the recipe.

Probably even more importantly though the overall demand for a particular colored gem is much higher collectively than each individual cut.
    Last edited by Jaerin; 2011-02-24 at 09:41 PM.