Deleted

Heroic Magmaw 10 Man

Had our first real look at this last night, frankly its a mess. Timers and addspawns seem RNG'y and unpredictable, and damage is insane. Got him to around 60% (just after the first exposed phase) before attrition destroyed us. Hoping for some tips.

grp: bear, prot pally, moonkin, mage, warrior, ele shammy, hunter, rshammy, hpally, disc priest - our tactic is basically for all but me (moonkin) and the mage to be on the big adds at all times, we burn the parasites then move to the big ones. Slump phase we burn boss, rinse and repeat. We generally stay stacked up if possible for aoe heals. Is replenishment a real requirement here? (we've managed 5 without it) Any other tips and advice? It just seems a mess tbh, massive tank dmg, stupid hunter standing in eruptions, fire everywhere (thought the fire following the adds was hotfixed?)
    Last edited by mmocd7449ed493; 2011-02-25 at 03:24 AM.

I wouldn't consider doing it without replenishment.. you have a mage and frost is viable especially when replenishment is needed.

If you can take a frost DK I really can't emphasise how much easier it will make the encounter.

On 25 man our tactic is frost DK kites the parasites, we have mages/spriests on the big adds the entire phase 1 - along with the rest of the raid until head phase (unless an add is casting... armageddon I think it's called, then all DPS it). All ranged are stacked on a marked target, turn off projected textures - you can still see the add spawn / lava but the heals don't obscure them.

Nearing p2 we offtank the last two adds that spawn while everyone burns the boss, lust on the next head and spread. Collect lootZ!

As for hunter's taking the eruptions.. that's just a L2P issue really. Tell them to shape up or replace =]!

Whats your healing setup?

The only harsh raid damage is when he does spew - use Divine Guardian / Lightwell / Healthstones + Personal CDS (Barkskin etc) / PW:S / etc to mitigate it.
    Last edited by Mudkiper; 2011-02-25 at 03:21 AM.

Deleted
    sorry, missed out the healers from the setup! We're running with a hpally resto shammy and disc priest.

I did consider the dk kites the adds tactic, but havn't seen any videos of this successfully done on 10 man (it's 20% of our total dps) and me and the mage usually handle the adds ok (takes us 20-30 seconds or so). Plus we don't really have a DK at the moment, but our the warrior is xrealming his ridiculously well geared one soon so if it's viable I guess we can test it out. Did you manage to get a 10m kill with kiting? We're currently burning the 'old' big add just at the start of slump, and tanking the new one until after slump ends.

At the moment though, the mage going frost isnt really an option as we need the AOE. I was thinking the optimal thing to do would be to take a ret pally or destro lock, but alas we have no rets and our locks in a 'i'm emoing out and quitting wow phase' currently

What bossmod are you using for the timers by the way? bigwigs seems to be erm, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    sorry, missed out the healers from the setup! We're running with a hpally resto shammy and disc priest.

I did consider the dk kites the adds tactic, but havn't seen any videos of this successfully done on 10 man (it's 20% of our total dps) and me and the mage usually handle the adds ok (takes us 20-30 seconds or so). Plus we don't really have a DK at the moment, but our the warrior is xrealming his ridiculously well geared one soon so if it's viable I guess we can test it out. Did you manage to get a 10m kill with kiting? We're currently burning the 'old' big add just at the start of slump, and tanking the new one until after slump ends.

At the moment though, the mage going frost isnt really an option as we need the AOE. I was thinking the optimal thing to do would be to take a ret pally or destro lock, but alas we have no rets and our locks in a 'i'm emoing out and quitting wow phase' currently

What bossmod are you using for the timers by the way? bigwigs seems to be erm, wrong.
    Bigwigs is what I use, the timer's are for normal mode I think but sometimes they help, you should be watching for adds/lava regardless though.

Haven't tried it on 10 man at all but the DPS gain from two DPS not dpsing the parasites will probably outweigh the loss of using a DK to kite the add's.

Resto Druid bring's replenishment as well if you have a tree lying around !

We haven't progressed all that much on it but as far as I've seen the timers in DBM are pretty accurate with one exception.

Spew timer.

Spew timer is accurate as long as the boss is not using any other abilities when it comes up. What I've noticed from some videos is that in the event of another ability interfering with the spew he will use it after that ability.

I might be wrong with this so please correct me if I'm wrong.

We do it like this;

3 healers, 2 tanks, 4 ranged dps, 1 melee.

- Fire mage solo parasites.
    - All ranged fulltime on the adds so we dont have to tank two at the same time (double cleave = nasty tank damage). Multidotting classes like warlocks and SPs excel.
    - Melee helps out when need be. Main focus on getting adds down even while head is up so the tank dont have to tank two adds.
    - Tank switch every headphase.
    - Ranged group stay together all the time in P1, moving all the way left (from the right edge of the room) before the first headphase in which they go all the way back to the start.
    - Get the body to about 32-31%. Get a head-phase and nuke him to 10ish %. You'll probably have 2 adds up at this point which is fine. Tank will spam CDs. Nefarian wont start bugging you untill you finish the headphase (which makes healing a lot easier and less mana draining in P2).
    - Kill him.

The healing is very intense and you'll see a lot of random deaths from nothing but unavoidable damage. Spew is definetely a killer. Remember that Pillar of Flame damage radius (it doesnt have to knock you up in the air to hurt you) is huge so move far away from it once it spawns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokens View Post
    We do it like this;

3 healers, 2 tanks, 4 ranged dps, 1 melee.

- Fire mage solo parasites.
    - All ranged fulltime on the adds so we dont have to tank two at the same time (double cleave = nasty tank damage). Multidotting classes like warlocks and SPs excel.
    - Melee helps out when need be. Main focus on getting adds down even while head is up so the tank dont have to tank two adds.
    - Tank switch every headphase.
    - Ranged group stay together all the time in P1, moving all the way left (from the right edge of the room) before the first headphase in which they go all the way back to the start.
    - Get the body to about 32-31%. Get a head-phase and nuke him to 10ish %. You'll probably have 2 adds up at this point which is fine. Tank will spam CDs. Nefarian wont start bugging you untill you finish the headphase (which makes healing a lot easier and less mana draining in P2).
    - Kill him.

The healing is very intense and you'll see a lot of random deaths from nothing but unavoidable damage. Spew is definetely a killer. Remember that Pillar of Flame damage radius (it doesnt have to knock you up in the air to hurt you) is huge so move far away from it once it spawns.
    Thanks for that, nice and helpful. Setups almost the same as ours. So you have the melee tunnel the boss pretty much all of the time except 'when needed'? Did the mage need a bit of practice for soloing the adds? (some info on that would be cool, as its easy with 2 of us but my shrooms are the top damage.)

ps mudkiper: the only available tree would be me; not really an option to lose my dps and have me healing in balance gear for this I think (i can only just about manage halfus hc )

We just kill all the adds as they come up lol dk on parasites plus rogue foking him and hunter multiple shotting and fire Mage raping them

Get body to 31 percent pop hero on the head and burn

Deleted
    A mage works quite well on solo'ing the parasites. All the other DPS can focus on burning blazing constructs and Magmaw himself. We always kill him at the 4th faceplant.

Yes, thats basically how we did it. We didn't have a DPS who could get immediate aggro on the parasites so the rest could nuke them down so we just put the mage on it by himself. They did need some practice, particularly in getting aggro off the healers at the start, but in the end the mage had very few issues doing it.

Good luck :-)

Deleted
    Cheers guys, we'll go for mage + mushrooms tonight on them!

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I apologize in advance for hijacking, but did anyone else have the problem of the add-spawn locations looking identical to Pillar of Flame? Then the raid moves to Spot B because they think it's Pillar, and then when Pillar does happen a few seconds later we're all SOL?

We had a setup going where we'd have our Spot A and Spot B, but then we had spots to the side of A and B for when adds spawn. So we're at Spot A, add spawns, we move to A-1, Pillar comes, we move to B, add comes, we move to B1, etc etc. We didn't put many serious attempts on him so I have no idea how viable this actually is. Any thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    I apologize in advance for hijacking, but did anyone else have the problem of the add-spawn locations looking identical to Pillar of Flame? Then the raid moves to Spot B because they think it's Pillar, and then when Pillar does happen a few seconds later we're all SOL?

We had a setup going where we'd have our Spot A and Spot B, but then we had spots to the side of A and B for when adds spawn. So we're at Spot A, add spawns, we move to A-1, Pillar comes, we move to B, add comes, we move to B1, etc etc. We didn't put many serious attempts on him so I have no idea how viable this actually is. Any thoughts?
    Ye we had this, even had our hunter putting down frost traps for the big add to start by mistake lol. Which is why I'm wondering if it's even worth stacking at all except for spew. It just means more people have to move more of the time. You have to move for eruption, 2 seconds later you move for pillar, meanwhile the OT is picking up the big add near the pillar whilst the rdps are trying to get aggro on the adds. And it looks like the timers aren't always perfectly aligned either, its a case of look and see whats happening.

I'm thinking we might just spread out, stack for spew, spread a bit again, try and keep in the healing rain radius.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye we had this, even had our hunter putting down frost traps for the big add to start by mistake lol. Which is why I'm wondering if it's even worth stacking at all except for spew. It just means more people have to move more of the time. You have to move for eruption, 2 seconds later you move for pillar, meanwhile the OT is picking up the big add near the pillar whilst the rdps are trying to get aggro on the adds. And it looks like the timers aren't always perfectly aligned either, its a case of look and see whats happening.

I'm thinking we might just spread out, stack for spew, spread a bit again, try and keep in the healing rain radius.
    Spreading out would make the Pillar happen in unpredictable places. I don't know if that's a good idea. Better to have traps and such ready to go in one predefined location, I'd think.

Then again, I haven't killed Magmaw HC, it's just my two cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Spreading out would make the Pillar happen in unpredictable places. I don't know if that's a good idea. Better to have traps and such ready to go in one predefined location, I'd think.

Then again, I haven't killed Magmaw HC, it's just my two cents.
    You've got time to put traps/set shrooms etc when you see the pillar before the adds spawn imo, only question is whether the AOE healing is absolutely required. Our shaman's basically saying he needs his healing rain to be effective for overall efficiency (remember we're operating without replen). The question is whether it's worth everybody having to move all the time for that extra predictability and healing. I see rocket surgery video they didn't do it, others seem to have done.

edit: i've not killed it either, but its our jobs to devise strategies that will kill him i guess :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got time to put traps/set shrooms etc when you see the pillar before the adds spawn imo, only question is whether the AOE healing is absolutely required. Our shaman's basically saying he needs his healing rain to be effective for overall efficiency (remember we're operating without replen). The question is whether it's worth everybody having to move all the time for that extra predictability and healing. I see rocket surgery video they didn't do it, others seem to have done.

edit: i've not killed it either, but its our jobs to devise strategies that will kill him i guess :P
    From my wipes, I can safely say every iota of healing helps. So I'd say, do whatever makes your healers most efficient.

helpful post.

Lol yeah we kinda just ran around...we have it worked out where the adds come right by the construct so our rogue can fok and the aoe hits the construct...having aura mastery + raid wall helps alot too. More dps makes this fight easier and easier