Thread: Normal Nef

10+ Year Old Account

Question Normal Nef

My guild has been struggling with Nef the last couple weeks and I am looking into new strats to get him down. We are 11/12 and really wanna down this so we can keep progressing into heroic raids.
    What i'm looking for.

Your raid make up, how you handle the add's and what dps is dpsing what, i.e. ony at the start or nef, 2nd phase the add on the platform or what.

Its always nice to get an objective look at something we could be doing diffrently.

Deleted
    Raid setup:

Protection Warrior
    Protection Paladin

Holy paladin
    Disc priest+/resto shaman+/resto druid+/holy paladin (2 of those)

Feral Cat
    Demo Lock
    Fire Mage
    Ret Paladin
    Boomkin/Shadow priest/Enhancement shaman

We start phase 1 with feral speccing crit immunity and tanking onyxia while I (prot warrior) pick up the adds and tank them at our designated p3 spot till they run out of power. then I leap and take onyxia till p2. we switch the dps from onyxia to nefarian around 20-30% and then do 3 crackles, the 3rd one requires timing, and is easiest with a shadow priest to assist, I'm supposed to take onyxia down to ~1% or as close to 50k as possible before the 3rd crackle (getting multidots until the last 10% of her health) then once the message for crackle appear you take down onyxia so she doesn't 1 shot the raid.

phase 2 we split up with an interrupt in each group, force one crackle on nefarian while taking down the adds as fast as possible, key to surviving this atleast while you're progressing could be shadow priest or boomkins helping healing for a while so healers (say resto shammy etc) can generate some mana. a good time to eat concecration potions are right after p2

for Phase 3 we do it like this:

Green = Nefarian, facing yellow
    Yellow = Nefarian tank
    Pink = Raid (move away from fire should it spawn in raid)
    Red = designated phase 3 add spawn+ add tank
    Arrow signs = general kiting path, subject to change during the course of the fight. but that's sort of how I do it... I think.

just keep the adds 5-10 yards ahead of the fire and then start moving backwards (not necesarily backpeddaling) 3 seconds before shadowblaze, rinse and repeat, and once you're done with the path I drew, fire should have extuinguished itself.

keep CDs for crackles etc, common sense. pop Bloodlust around 23%.

during the whole encounter we have our paladin on the nefarian tank. while the resto druid or disc priest heals onyxia tank, and add tank in p3 , unless the resto shaman is present then he'll take care of add tank in p3. a designated healer to keep an eye on him aswell is usefull.

good luck =)

We run:

Prot Pally(on Ony/adds)
    Blood DK(on Nef)

Feral Cat Druid
    Ret Pally(OTs adds)

Fire Mage
    Affliction Lock
    Survival Hunter

Holy Pally(Heals OT)
    Disc Priest(floats between)
    Resto Shaman(Heals Nef tank)
    (and sometimes a resto druid in for the Holy Pally. In this case I do what the Paladin does, and the resto druid does what i do)

We have the prot pally on Ony for p1, Blood DK is on Nef. When the adds pop up we have the ret pally throw on a shield and gather them, a mage frost novas, ret pally runs to the other side of the room. When frost nova ends the adds run to him, pop the hunters frost trap, and die a few seconds after they get to the pally.

We have all dps on Ony until Nef comes out, at which point ranged dps switch. We usually have our first crackle immediately after the adds die. Our prot Pally hits diving gaurdian for the first one. The second one comes shortly after, and we have our disc priest(me) put barrier on the ranged group(who is off to the left side of Nef's body). Usually a few seconds after that we have Ony go down.

For p2 we have both tanks, a healer, and a dps on one platform, the other 2 have 2 dps and a healer. We try to spread out our classes with good survivability so no healer is overwhelmed. Both tanks together also helps even out the damage between platforms. The first interrupt in this phase comes quick so be sure your interrupters are up there quick.We usually push one crackle in this phase(and never until the Prot Pally's diving gaurdian is up), but the ranged don't push it until all 3 healers give the okay(otherwise people will die if a healer needs time to catch up).

Phase 3 hits after not too long and your raid needs to jump off the platforms as soon as the lava is gone to stop nef's Shadowbolts. We usually have a crackle within a few seconds, our feral hits tranquility to get everyone topped up while healers use things like Hymn of Hope and concentration potions. Blood DK is on Nef, Prot Pally gets out to pick up adds when they pop. We hit hero once all dps are in position.

Prot Pally starts kiting adds, and should try to move as little as possible, but keep adds out of the fire(which is on a timer). We usually have our holy pally on the add tank for all of this phase, and I come help(disc priest) when the adds get to a high stack. We hit Hero/Lust right away when the group is in position(the more crackles you can push while the adds are at a low stack the better, imo). The resto shammy can solo heal the raid usually, as long as they have a good amount of mana. We try to coordinate a Cd for every crackle, I can usually barrier the second crackle in this phase, and pop my Divine hymn for another. By the 3rd prot pally's Cd is usually up. The last 2 crackles is where you will likely wipe if you are going to. These are the ones that are likely to go unmitigated. Ideally the all of the adds will reset at least once before this so you don't have to spam heal the add tank. The kiting in this phase is a bit tricky, as you have to rotate Nef to avoid breathing on the add tank, but also not hit them with tail swipe. try to keep the add tank on the side of nef, meaning the group will have to rotate a bit. Move to the other side of Nef if the flames get close. I usually save Pain suppression for the last Crackle on the add tank.

We occasionally have an add die, and when it pops it goes toward the group, we have our hunter MD it, or the Holy pally taunt it closer so the tank can get to it.

This fight is primarily about communicating well with your healers, the add tank kiting well, and using defensive cds whenever possible.

If you have a resto shaman, we found mana tide works best if you drop it after the second crackle, a little before Ony dies. Priests can get a shadowfiend in early and have it up for the last phase.

Gl and have fun
    Last edited by Velenei; 2011-02-25 at 10:22 PM.

My guild has downed nef a couple times thus far with a similar set up:

1 Dk Tank
    1 Bear Tank
    1 Holy Paladin
    1 Ret Paladin
    1 Unholy DK
    1 Spriest
    1 Holy priest
    1 Hunter (Surv/marks i believe?)
    1 Resto druid
    and a Mage

For phase 1, the Ony tank drops down first, onto the platform directly under the lip, and pulls ony to the right first, then runs back to the platform previously mentioned, so Ony's head faces the platform, thus breathes on it. The raid during this time, stays relatively in the middle of the room, to ony's side, so when ony is turned for lightning at sides, they don't get hit. It is advised to have everyone but the ony tank healer stay out of range of Ony's tail swipe, so not everyone is stunned. When Nef finally drops down, the bear tank throws a fairie fire, mangle etc, MD if possible to him for threat, then high-tails it to the space in between the 2 far platforms. Facing nef's head to the far right platform, to avoid raid getting breathed on.

Ex.

----->
    Nef

O range raid

v melee
    <----
    ony

Now once adds start spawning, the 5 cc'ers will call out which one they will be cc'ing and marking it, it is crucial someone doesn't reCC somebody elses target. (Repentence 1 min cd etc)

These 5 adds MUST be CC'd on top of each other in the middle, this will make p3's add tank life that much easier.

Once all 5 adds die on top of each other, and the dps have burned ony to 20%, everyone except the ony tank and ony tank healer groups up on Nef's right side, out of ony's tail lash range. Dps then push the crackle at 90%, self cd's, then the 80% crackle, healers use their cd's. After the second crackle goes off, all dps returns to Ony, and kills her, pushing into p2.

We had 3 groups created for the platforms, as followed

Ony tank (Dk)
    Resto druid
    Ret pally

This group moves to the platform by Ony's head, and the tank and ret pally respectively interrupt the blast nova on the platform

On the other platform, far left:

Bear tank
    Mage
    Holy priest
    Hunter

Bear tank gets the blast nova's while mage plays backup

The far right platform consists of:

The remaining players,
    Unholy DK
    Holy Paladin
    Spriest

Unholy dk had blast nova with spriest on backup

Once the add on the far left and far right platforms add is dead, Healers top everyone up and range pushes a crackle (70%) and bring him close to 60% but not pushing it. The DK tank and Ret pally finish off their add, the resto druid on this platform takes the time to take a mana pot drink, as you can do nothing till the lava recedes. A side note, spread your players on the platform out, so the shadowflame bolts do not splash, and continue doing so until all lava is gone.

P3 begins, and Nef is pulled to the left, (in between the far left platform and ony's head platform (by where the dk was tanking ony's head) Facing his head to the far left platform, everyone but the add tank (Dk Tank) and add tank healer (Resto druid) stack on nef's right side. Once the shadow blaze goes out and all 5 adds are rezzed, Dk should throw out his dnd and move them to and near Nef's tail. Avoid tail lash, He must then pop a cd for the crackle about to go out (60%) and watch the shadowblaze timers. Shadowblaze has a set timer, and its cd decreases as the fight prolongs, During the time frame where a shadowblaze is not approaching, barely any add movement is neccesary, but adds MUST NOT touch any sort of fire. When Shadowblazes timer approaches, Dk tank turns around and sprints around the edge grate, out of the flame, once at a comfortable range, slowing down to allow more room for the next shadowblaze is recommended.

This kiting repeats until all 5 adds reset and die, during this time frame the Dk tank takes no dmg, and the resto druid should regain some mana. Once the shadowblaze reaches the adds, They ressurect and the kiting process recommences, since the timer for the shadowblaze becomes near impossible to avoid, we have the holy priest swap from raid group to bomb heal the add tank with the resto druid, cd's should be definately used, as resetting the adds a second time is damn near impossible. However if they do reset a second time, and your dps is good, you should have yourself a kill.

Bloodlust at 30%
    If fire does reach the range group, a neccesary swap to Nef's left side and out of the fire is called out.

Good luck, I'll get an armory link to my toon in a sec.
    Last edited by Vath; 2011-02-25 at 10:23 PM.

Deleted
    We run a setup consisting of:

DPS:

Rogue
    Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Shadow Priest
    Elemental Shaman

Healers:
    Paladin
    Shaman
    Priest

Tanks:
    Warrior
    Paladin

We have our elemental shaman gather the adds with shocks, earthbind totems and help from our shadow priest with shackle(s) in Phase 1. Announcing when Onyxia is about to start her lightning (Forgot the name, forgive me) helps our kiter not getting hit from it as he kites the adds through the middle of the platform, from east to west and back again. He makes sure they die on top of each other as they'll be easier to pick up in Phase 3.

Phase 1
    When the fight starts we all dps Onyxia down until Nefarian lands. She's usually at around ~45% I reckon when he lands. We leave a rogue on her with our prot pala and everyone else besides our kiting elemental shaman goes on Nefarian. When the adds "die" (red. despawn) in Phase 1, our kiter goes on Nefarian. If everything goes according to plan, we get 3 electrocutes from Nefarian and we kill Onyxia right after the third one at 70%. When Phase 2 begins Nefarian is around 65%.

Phase 2

We spread out with the goal of having one add up as long as possible to get as many electrocutes in phase 2 as possible. We normally get 1, but we've pushed 2 before. On two of the platforms we nuke the adds, having the rogue on the third platform killing the add almost alone. Getting an electrocute in this phase helps a lot in ending the fight faster in Phase 3.

Phase 3
    Our protection warrior picks up Nefarian and starts kiting him slowly around the second circle in the room (the one with the pillars). Our protection paladin will pick up the adds where our kiter left them. Where he leaves them is up to your raid leader or the guy who tanks/kites them in Phase 3. We leave our holy priest focusing on our protection paladin until Nefarian is dead. No matter what you do, DO NOT SLOW/STUN/ANYTHING the adds in Phase 3. This is very important.

Where stuff is positioned in this phase is pretty important too; Our protection paladin starts with the adds at 9 o'clock (on the minimap) and our protection warrior tanking nefarian starts at 3 o'clock.

Stuff that helps us

Annoucing Electrocutes a few percentages before it's cast helps our healers
    Help on adds in Phase 1 (i.e., shackles, earthbind, etc,.)
    Rogues using feint on Electrocutes helps our healers as well
    DPS/Tanks using self heals at the beginning of Phase 2

That's about it, ask away if you're confused about something. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by mmocc999b0832e; 2011-02-25 at 10:26 PM.