Thread: New PC help

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New PC help

Hey guys I'm about to buy a new computer off of CyberPower and I was wondering if this computer can run WoW on the highest settings and wondering how it can perform with other games like CoD and battlefield. I was also wondering what I should replace and with what? This computer is going to cost 789$ and I was wondering if its a good deal.
    * • Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
    * • FREE Game - Napoleon: Total War
    * • 4GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM
    * • ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Video
    * • GigaByte P67 USB3 & SATA-III MB
    * • 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM HD
    * • 24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

make sure it includes windows....or thats gonna cost you another 100 bucks
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

That is a really good deal actually. It will have no problem running any of the games you mentioned at max settings and high resolution.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted
    it won't run anything without a PSU

Thanks for the info guys.
    And oh yea i forgot to put it comes with a 600 WATT PSU

Quote Originally Posted by hambaby View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.
    And oh yea i forgot to put it comes with a 600 WATT PSU
    Spend an extra $50 or so and upgrade it to a legit PSU.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Would a 800 watt PSU do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    If its a quality brand go for it.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Corsair 650TX would do it, or Antec/Seasonic 500-600W.

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Yeap.
    You realy wont need more than 500W if you got 1 graphic card and 1-3 hard drives.

its a descent offer, its a long time from now, but holidays always have better sales, if you are willing to wait you will get one hell of a machine for the same price

I'd also see if they would overclock the processor for you a little, to about 4.0 ghz. And get an aftermarket cooler for like, 30$.

wait, if you order a pc from cyberpower with the i5-2500k / assuming the motherboard works with it, will it not ship until the new mobo's get shipped to everyone? or do they have their own supply of good ones

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    I can get 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

---------- Post added 2011-02-25 at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    I'd also see if they would overclock the processor for you a little, to about 4.0 ghz. And get an aftermarket cooler for like, 30$.
    I'm a dummie with computers what does overclock do?

---------- Post added 2011-02-25 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    Yeap.
    You realy wont need more than 500W if you got 1 graphic card and 1-3 hard drives.

its a descent offer, its a long time from now, but holidays always have better sales, if you are willing to wait you will get one hell of a machine for the same price
    What does having 2 graphic cards do?

10+ Year Old Account

Overclock is pushing a freqency or "clock" speed on a piece of hardware such as RAM, Graphics Card or Processor.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account

Yes on the PSU.

Having two GPUs will pull stress off of one GPU by rendering bits of the screen in tandem. Commonly, one GPU will get one half, and vice versa. However, some have been known to alternate pixel space. In either case two GPUs, generally speaking, are better than one. You'll need a bigger PSU ( ) if you want to run two ATI's on Crossfire. I'd play 800W+ to be safe, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Yes on the PSU.

Having two GPUs will pull stress off of one GPU by rendering bits of the screen in tandem. Commonly, one GPU will get one half, and vice versa. However, some have been known to alternate pixel space. In either case two GPUs, generally speaking, are better than one. You'll need a bigger PSU ( ) if you want to run two ATI's on Crossfire. I'd play 800W+ to be safe, but that's just me.
    Agreed, but most games out do not push the graphics that far, or they don't utilize the SLI/Crossfire that well. It's usually better to just run one card, unless you're running multiple screens. But about your graphics card, I'd suggest something such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=asus%206950 . You would only need one for what you are planning to do, and you could get a tech nerd friend to flash your bios to a 6970 (Basically, it makes your card better for free, if he knows what he is doing). And overclocking is basically, in easy terms, putting more power into your part to make it operate faster/better. The problem is, overclocking requires good cooling, such as a nice aftermarket fan. I'd suggest if you did, to see if they could put a ~40$ fan in there at LEAST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, but most games out do not push the graphics that far, or they don't utilize the SLI/Crossfire that well. It's usually better to just run one card, unless you're running multiple screens. But about your graphics card, I'd suggest something such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=asus%206950 . You would only need one for what you are planning to do, and you could get a tech nerd friend to flash your bios to a 6970 (Basically, it makes your card better for free, if he knows what he is doing). And overclocking is basically, in easy terms, putting more power into your part to make it operate faster/better. The problem is, overclocking requires good cooling, such as a nice aftermarket fan. I'd suggest if you did, to see if they could put a ~40$ fan in there at LEAST.
    Are you kidding me? Go play Crysis or Crysis Warhead, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead/2, Call Of Duty Black Ops/Modern Warfare/World At War/Modern Warfare 2, Metro 2033, Lost Planet, World Of Warcraft, STALKER Series, Assassin's Creed 2, Devil May Cry 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, FEAR, FEAR 2, Need For Speed Shift/Hot Pursuit/Undercover/ProStreet/World, RIFT, Dead Space/2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Team Fortress 2.

Those are just SOME of the games that do make use of SLi/Crossfire quite well. If you want I can continue to list even more that use SLi/Crossfire. Have you seriously been living under a rock this entire time? Metro 2033 or Crysis alone are quite demanding on graphics cards and for nearly 3 years Crysis was used to gauge if a graphics card was good or not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Are you kidding me? Go play Crysis or Crysis Warhead, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead/2, Call Of Duty Black Ops/Modern Warfare/World At War/Modern Warfare 2, Metro 2033, Lost Planet, World Of Warcraft, STALKER Series, Assassin's Creed 2, Devil May Cry 4, Batman Arkham Asylum, FEAR, FEAR 2, Need For Speed Shift/Hot Pursuit/Undercover/ProStreet/World, RIFT, Dead Space/2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Team Fortress 2.

Those are just SOME of the games that do make use of SLi/Crossfire quite well. If you want I can continue to list even more that use SLi/Crossfire. Have you seriously been living under a rock this entire time? Metro 2033 or Crysis alone are quite demanding on graphics cards and for nearly 3 years Crysis was used to gauge if a graphics card was good or not lol.
    I do play them, daily. I know what is demanding on my GPU. But seriously, they do not use both cards to their full potential. You cannot deny that crossfire/sli doesn't take some of the performance power AWAY from both cards. It may not be a ton, but I don't see the point of spending money on something that will be used at a lesser performance than if I just bought a higher end card. It's kinda like saying, "Oh, I'm going to go with two 460 SLI's instead of a 560. That makes no sense to me. If that's your preference though, go for it cutie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do play them, daily. I know what is demanding on my GPU. But seriously, they do not use both cards to their full potential. You cannot deny that crossfire/sli doesn't take some of the performance power AWAY from both cards. It may not be a ton, but I don't see the point of spending money on something that will be used at a lesser performance than if I just bought a higher end card. It's kinda like saying, "Oh, I'm going to go with two 460 SLI's instead of a 560. That makes no sense to me. If that's your preference though, go for it cutie.
    Sure it does, but for the most part I get 97-98% performance out of my second GTX 460. I went with two GTX 460s because its cheaper than a GTX 580 and outperforms a GTX 580. $320 for two MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK Talons vs $500+ for a GTX 580. It's all about which card you choose in the end since certain cards scale MUCH better than others like GTX 460s for instance.

All of the games I listed give me near double the FPS that I would get in non-SLI with a single GTX 460. If it's not double its at least 90-95% of what I'd get with a single GTX 460. I get perfect load balancing on both of my cards within 1% of each other even in World Of Warcraft.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-02-26 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Sure it does, but for the most part I get 97-98% performance out of my second GTX 460. I went with two GTX 460s because its cheaper than a GTX 580 and outperforms a GTX 580. $320 for two MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK Talons vs $500+ for a GTX 580. It's all about which card you choose in the end since certain cards scale MUCH better than others like GTX 460s for instance.

All of the games I listed give me near double the FPS that I would get in non-SLI with a single GTX 460. If it's not double its at least 90-95% of what I'd get with a single GTX 460. I get perfect load balancing on both of my cards within 1% of each other even in World Of Warcraft.
    Last time I checked out SLI/Xfire, it was horrible. If they have improved since then I'd agree with you :]