Just built, need help installing os

So i just bought and assembled the February dolphin build of the month, but I'm having problems getting W7 to install. I'm getting to the point to where its supposed to recognize my HD, but it isn't. I insert the MB driver disk, but none of the drivers are being recognized for the HD. Looking online, there are no drivers for the HD, and the instructions say that there is no need for one, or a need to format it. How can I get w7 to recognize my HD so I can get to the next problem? If any can direct me to a step by step BIOS/OS guide for a new rig, that would be appreciated since I'm confused about setting to AHCI.

Also, to get to the point of recognizing drivers seems to take an unnaturally long time. Is this normal?

TYIA!

Make sure you have everything plugged in. You shouldn't have to install drivers for your hard drive to get recognized with windows. You may have a bad HDD and may need to send it in to get replaced.

If you assembled everything properly all you do is put in your Win7 disk in and it should start up. You may have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order for Optical Disk to be first and Hard Disk to be second. Make sure your HD is plugged into Sata0 or whichever the manual says to plug it in.

All drivers and things you install after the OS is. Your post is slightly confusing with the wording.

Also check that the SATA port you are plugged into on the MoBo is enables in the BIOS, you want to use SATA-0 for the first hard drive, make sure it is plugged into that one.

My HD is in SATA0, and my BIOS is now showing both the DVD and HD as it should be. I think what is not installing is the SATA controller off the MB disk. I am currently trying something I read online, (unhiding drivers), and seeing if that works.

On a side note, is it normal for each step in the process to take forever? It is like 5 minutes of "Setup is starting"...

5 minutes is not forever. All you do is put in the Win7 disk and let it run through everything. You choose your harddrive so it can install itself and let it run until it restarts once or twice while doing its thing. Just make sure it isn't constantly booting from optical drive and restarting the install process. Eventually you get a prompt box to name your pc and other things.

Hello, I just did a new build, and was having a similar problem with installing the OS. I was reusing an old HDD I had formatted, so when it wouldnt work I assumed that was the issue.. so I rushed out to buy a new one. I got it back and had the same issue. the disc would start to read, but then Id blue screen. It turned out to be the RAM (Gskill ftl.. their RMA is taking forever too >.<)

I would recommend running memtest to make sure your ram is OK.
    Hardware issues with a new build can be a pain to pick out :P

I think I bought a similar rig to the one you mentioned.. I might have opted for a better vid card though.. but if you went with the gigabyte mobo then you shouldnt have to install any sata drivers (at least I didnt).

Hope you get it worked out

oh as an edit, my issue was blue screen right when it should be recognizing the HDD.. Does the screen come up to show your current hard drives and its just blank?

My w7 is not recognizing any HD to install to. I think I installed the AMD SATA controller from the MB's driver disk, but it is still not recognizing my HD.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldeice View Post
    Also check that the SATA port you are plugged into on the MoBo is enables in the BIOS, you want to use SATA-0 for the first hard drive, make sure it is plugged into that one.
    this would probably be where I would start if you didn't check it all ready, verify the BIOS detects the drives, if it doesn't make sure the SATA ports are enabled.

BIOS is detecting it in the SATA_0 slot. I am installing the AMB SATA controller from the MB's driver CD but Windows7 is still not recognizing the HDD. Any ideas?

Check the cables on the hard drive (power and SATA), unplug it, move it to a different SATA slot, etc.

would the cables be the issue if the bios is recognizing the hdd?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veliaris View Post
    would the cables be the issue if the bios is recognizing the hdd?
    75% sure that's a no. Unless you have really messed up/old cables, that won't cause a problem.

Make sure all HDDs are set to AHCI mode in BIOS, not IDE/RAID (unless you're 100% sure you want it set otherwise).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.