Thread: Trying to quit

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I was in the same position as you last summer and I managed to successfuly quit (and then come back because situations changed)

The best advice I can give is to find something else to fill your time, a hobby. Sports are good because usually that means you're interacting with other people and keeping healthy although picking up a musical instrument / painting / writing whatever it is, even just reading a book. When you would usually log onto WoW just do that other thing instead and eventually you'll forget about WoW or be able to control your playtime consciously.

From the sound if it, you just need to find a better hobby. The problem sounds like(and I'm guilty of it too), you just like sitting around and playing video games to much. WoW is just the device you use to fill that need. If you stop playing WoW and have nothing better to do, you'll just fill that time with different video games. In the grand scheme of things, there's no difference between playing WoW for 4 hours straight, and playing Counter-Strike for an hour, Starcraft for a couple hours, and then Dragon Age for another hour.

Try talking to some of those old friends again. Decide you're going to learn about something... learn more about computers if you're not that good at them. Try to pick up a hobby you may have had before you devoted all your time to WoW. Maybe even spend 30 minutes a day of that WoW time exercising. Look at it this way, for the time you spend doing a few daily quests, you could be drastically improving how you look and feel. Yeah I'm a complete hypocrite when I say that... but it's true.

Deleted
    The easiest way of solving all those three problems is just starting up with another hobby - maybe sports? Start playing football or tennis? Join your neighbourhood's "walk someone's dog three evenings a week" group?

For the longest time I've been trying to slowly move from 4 raids/week and logging on every day for dailies, alt leveling and the occasional heroic to starting horseback riding again, but since I don't have a driver's license or a car and the nearest stables are pretty far away, I've been giving myself excuses not to. Last summer I did have lessons and meet a few really nice people, but it all fell apart when the owner of the stables turned out to be a megalomaniac biatch.

I can only recommend starting something new that will keep you interested in something else a few times a week. If you're not interested in sports or hobbies that involve other people, quitting WoW and finding friends WILL be harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat a healthy diet (not a lot of frozen/heavily processed foods), get some regular exercise be it running, gym, or playing some sort of sport, and reconnect with your old friends. When they (or anyone) invite you to do something, go do it. You have to remember, RL > WOW. Don't say no to RL activities cause somethings going on in WoW. WoW will always be there and you can always do the stuff in it later, but you can't always do the stuff your friends were doing later. It really is all about finding a balance with your life.

You don't have to quit wow, just play less.. Most of the time people spend in wow is just idling in their capital city or dueling outside it, don't log on for the sake of logging on. Try to mingle with people in your school/work and take up a sport, there you'll make friends as well, just watch out for the ultra sports faggots.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well back when I quit in March, I sold my account (I know, against ToS), gave him the original CD key and all that, registered it to a new e-mail address that I gave him the password/info to and told him to change the password off, and then threw all my disks out.

I then bought a workout program that lasted me about 2.5 months to help my body get back into shape. I wasn't overweight or even close to it, I just wasn't in the shape I used to be in.

I sold my account because I wanted to make sure I didn't have access anymore. So you could quit cold turkey or do it however you want, then pickup a new way of life with lots of activity. You could always come back and just play in moderation, BUT ONLY AFTER you re-strengthen your old friendships and have a strong grasp on your life in all other aspects. It's a fun game, just don't let it get too far. Self-control can be hard with it.

The world is an awesome place. Hope I could help

EDIT: More info and like the guy above me said, just play when there's nothing else to do really, and make sure you have an objective of some sort. Don't just log on to idle. If you notice yourself doing that, log off.
    Also, not raiding really helps me. I really loved raiding, but back in December '09 - March '10 (when I quit), I didn't have raid groups which is why I quit. I don't raid now, and it really helps because I don't need to invest as much time, rely on other people, and I can do whatever the hell I want in game.
    Last edited by Tethrys; 2011-02-26 at 06:34 PM.
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan

Deleted
    If its causing that much of problem, you should really just quit, even if its just for a while. I've gone through some pretty heavy time in wow myself, and know that it can be pretty hard to break out of the mindset, but you can, and the more time you spend away from it, the easier it becomes to spend less time when you go back, and to get some actual motivation and ambition for IRL stuff.

WoW is also a very time intensive mmo, where you can only make progress when your're online, which means that playing for an hour in the morning can turn into playing untill 3am. My advise would be go out and meet people, 99% of online friends rarely last , and if your worried about your health and body then do something productive about it, youll feel better. Also, imo, play other games. Through a year in TBC and a year in rath, I played only wow, and other mmos or single player games are a good way to start taking the edge off your wow addiction, and see it in perspective next time you log on. I've personally in the past ignored my friends and my life for the thing, and now im only on for 2 raid nights per week (nothing to do with eve online addiction i swear), you dont need to quit forever, just take some time out to sort your head out, then enjoy the game, like all things should be enjoyed, in moderation.

Its pretty easy to loose track and motivation for irl stuff if you havent looked out your window in 5 years.

Deleted
    Grow some bollocks.

Guess I won't quit but I just find it hard to go to the gym and exercise because I always yell myself o I'll do it tomorrow and I just keep doing that and eventually give up. I suck at keeping commited to something and I always quit.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    Guess I won't quit but I just find it hard to go to the gym and exercise because I always yell myself o I'll do it tomorrow and I just keep doing that and eventually give up. I suck at keeping commited to something and I always quit.
    Then why are you still playing wow?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartinz View Post
    Step 1: Get up from the computer
    Step 2: Delete WoW and cancel Sub
    Step 3: Go to the gym / hang out with friends and live life w/o wow
    Step 4: repeat step 3
    This. Try to find a sporting activity that's fun and you can meet people.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I really do sigh at mankind these days...IT'S A GAME FFS!
    I mean really how ignorant do you have to be to say something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by vokey View Post
    Then why are you still playing wow?
    Tbh, I have no idea I don't relly enjoy the game but I just can't stop.

if you want to lose weight it doesn't matter what you eat, only how much.. I for one eat fairly unhealthy food but not too much of it and I'm 179cm high and weigh 58-59kg, if you want to be healthy just add some vitamin pills to your diet so you don't have to eat the crap tasting healthy food

Deleted
    Cancel your subscription and spend your money on something else. My sub ended a few days ago and im kinda broke atm.
    Even tho its just 3 days ago I managed to loads of other stuff, but, I do miss wow tho, haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    well then in 10-15 years time when they shutdown the last free-to-play wow server and all your gear, exhalted reps and unloved alts are gone forever and you stumble into the world unhealthy and lonely, i hope it will all have been worth it.

Deleted
    Try to get another hobby. We all have other hobby outside wow (atleast the persons I know...) - just spend less time with wow and more time with hobby/friends. If they were your real friends, they should understand and welcome you back.

If they turn their backs against you then they aren't even real friends, nevermind them.

Just try to do something else than playing wow. Selling your account can be a good thing considering it actually DOESNT let you play anymore. It will also feel like a relief once you've done it.

Best of luck, Tauroon.

Quitting after playing for 4 years was the hardest think i have ever done, but boy was it worth it! Finally catching up at college, got alot of old friends back and feeling like i can take on the world with my new found freedom. I simply cancelled my account one day and never looked back, told all my friends the truth, and they were really sympathetic, becuase they had noticed me drifting in the last few years. Last 2 months of my life have been awesome!

This week is a great example of why i never want to come back to WoW, Patch 4.1. I mean, cmon, reusing old content AGAIN!

But no, really, say your goodbyes to ingame friends, add them on Facebook or whatever, and cancel your sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    well then in 10-15 years time when they shutdown the last free-to-play wow server and all your gear, exhalted reps and unloved alts are gone forever and you stumble into the world unhealthy and lonely, i hope it will all have been worth it.
    Ya that's true I suppose I could cancel my subscription for a month to get into the habit of excerciing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi View Post
    I seriously can't imagine what kind of screwed up things it does to a person to be immersed in what the MMO (and internet in general) community has become recently (read: last 10 years) during the years of their life in which they would normally be developing social skills.
    Oh so true. Parents that let their kids sit in front of a TV or computer all day every day need to be knocked up side the head. I cannot imagine what my social skills would be like if I had sat at home all day instead of running around creating mischief like a teenage boy is supposed to do.

A lot of the friendships that you make when your young end up being great people to know once you are out on your own. As much fun as it is chatting to people online it can't substitute for having local friends.
    I like sandwiches