Thread: A note to dps

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Ok, I'm a tank and I read alot of the threads on tanks being arrogant jerks, but that has little to do with this post except yet another reason as to why we might come off as jerks...

This is mainly to Ranged DPS classes but sadly sometimes it happens with melee units...

I have been kicked from 3 dungeons in the past week because this happened and it astounds me each time, not that it bothers me I just re-que and roflpwn the next one with better dps but...

When your tank uses CC on a mob and then pulls all the rest of the group away to kill but theres that one little ranged enemy that stands next to the CC mob, DO NOT SIT THERE SHOOTING IT!!!

Its too close to the CC mob for us to grab it so we have to rely on taunts +the rare ranged single fire(judge for me) so we cant get a good grip on it when your unloading everything you've got into it, so rather attack the mobs that are near use that we can easily get agro on...

The reason I was kicked was because after like the third time this happened I would just stop taunting the ranged mob as my taunt has an approximately 7-8sec CD and they were pulling the mob faster then my taunt would come off...

TL;DR - Don't be a moron DPS, Attack the ones we can actually get agro on, were ok with the ranged guy hitting us from afar, we can take his hits and deal with him onces the ones in close proximity are gone, theres a reason we have something CC'd and its probably to make sure you don't die...

Side note: When I run with a guild I don't ever use CC as I don't need it anymore, but when I'm pugging I try to be considerate of the other players in the party and make up for any lack of gear they may have...
    Put a skull on stuff, problem solved.

Tanks break CC about as often as DPS does. People sometimes have tunnel-vision and focus on things the wrong mobs. It goes both ways.
    Opulence. I has it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, atleast you are admitting it.

Don't alter peoples quotes or you will get banned sooner or later. Faked quote removed. Too bad your post now makes no more sense. (not that it did before) -Nye
    Last edited by Nyanmaru; 2011-02-28 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    Fail DPS that can't assist and attack your target are fail. End of story.
    DPS that assist and attack my target are annoying as my target changes regularly. Nuke the skull, then the cross, then whatever you feel like.

Deleted
    and my only 'silence' hits multiple targets as i refuse to glyph for my Avengers shield as I use it to pull large mobs, so its not a matter of my tanking but fail dps...
    Glyph of AS is a threat boost on bosses / single targets. It also makes tanking with crowd control much easier as you don't have aforementioned problems with it's cleave breaking CC. If you glyph it, it becomes an exceptionally powerful threat move, which is alos a very potent ranged silence / pulling tool.

You can pull large groups with it glyphed - taunt one, AS one, judge a third - when they get near just start your hammer spam. Pally AoE tanking is not hard and it doesn't require a triple target AS.

PS
    Dear tanks, stop being such arrogant ass hats just because you chose to play a tank. Just as much as you guys say DPS are tards, DPS have call to say "tanks in LFG are nearly all terrible"

I'm a rogue, is it okay if I tricks you and silence a pesky caster with Garrote to make him come to you?
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    People tend to blindly follow whatever the tank says by default, even bad ones. For a tank to be kicked, he'd have to be pretty bad imo. Wounder what the other side of the story is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by army of darkness View Post
    people tend to blindly follow whatever the tank says by default, even bad ones. For a tank to be kicked, he'd have to be pretty bad imo. Wounder what the other side of the story is.
    your signature just blew my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Odras View Post
    Well I have this message for tanks that always seem to think the dps are doing it wrong. If you want a specific target killed, mark it otherwise I am going to do it the fast way and AoE or kill whatever will maximize my dps. Assisting off you can be problematic when you are changing targets to try keep aggro on everything. Unless of course you are a bad tank and you just sit there hitting one target in which case it is probably not my problem that I am pulling from you.
    Just don't complain if you die, OK? Attack the tank's target. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilina View Post
    Just don't complain if you die, OK? Attack the tank's target. It's easy.
    A tank's target should be constantly changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barghest View Post
    just a note: avenger's shield won't hit cc'd targets
    Just a note: Avenger's Shield NOW hits cc'd targets. Either by intent or bug, it does.

and my only 'silence' hits multiple targets as i refuse to glyph for my Avengers shield as I use it to pull large mobs, so its not a matter of my tanking but fail dps...
    Can not do anything but answer this. I do not know though if it has been said before. Just a note: I agree that DPS that do not attack tank targets are retarded.

But your statement above is false. Attacks such as Avenger's Shield should no longer hit CC'd targets. Think it applies to things like Chain Lightning also. So myea, you kinda fail majorly there.

Edit: Seems blizzard fucked this up in a patch or shit. But it should not at least, and I have not seen anything in a Blue about a change to it (I read them all). Not that I have noticed this while doing Heroics with my guilds Paladin MT ...
    Last edited by Veranya; 2011-02-27 at 08:36 AM.
    GM of Roiyaru - Frostmane. Ilinára, Combat rogue. So good at stealth I can't even find myself.

"You do realize too that not all tanks have the same abilities. Feel free to tell me how i should "disarm" a ranged mob as dk/pally/bear. Or what effect it is supposed to have on a caster (hint : none )?"

As a DK you have 2 abilities that are great for ranged mobs:

Death Grip and Strangulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Put a skull on stuff, problem solved.
    Would be if 95% of the dps out there weren't totally braindead retards that think "they know better" and "are L33T" and do like most "gogogog" dps'ers in this thread says they do : whatever they can do to inflate their numbers, even if in reality it means making it harder for the tank and healer, and the fight takes longer because they can't grasp basic maths concepts and can't follow any lead unless it's their gm/rl that force it upon them with the outcome of them being benched/gkicked if they fuck up too much (or do "whatever they like").

In any random (and it's not better with *most* guild runs out there, whatever people in here pretend, unless there is like 10k guilds out there with 9+/12hm down, which isn't the case at all, proving once again that people in here are lying and talking about things they know jack about) you won't get more than one dps (if you are lucky) able/willing to follow kill orders.

Same with interupts/silence to pull back mobs. All the dps will be going balls out before you even hit one mob, so have fun :
    - running toward the 2+ casters/ranged you need to interupt/silence (because 9 out of 10 dps considere interupting isn't something they should do, not even wars who gain 5% damage for 15/30s when they do so)
    - gain threat on them
    - gain threat on the others
    - pull back mobs
    - all the while maintaining enough threat on EACH of the mob to be above the dps's threat because everyone of them took a different mob because "they know better" and "want to maximize their numbers".

Strangely, when i get people that understand the basic concepts of "pulling" and let me doing what i think is necesserary, pulls are going quite nice, and fast, otherwise it's often a clusterfuck that only succeed because people overgear instances AND we have a 15% buff to all (or when i get a healer like my brother that happily let fucktards that go all out from the start, charge before i can pull the mobs and such, die shamelessly, without rezing them afterward, everytime they fucked up - strangely those people either ragequit or understand quite fast, i wonder why ? [/SARCASM]).

Most of the behaviour "gogogo" dps advocate in this thread is only a display sheer stupidity, ignorance, and is only making the run not enjoyable at all (and not as efficient) for the tanks.
    Like it or not but tanking is ALL about control; it's controlling the kill order, the encounters, the positioning of the mobs, the movement and everything else, and most tanks out there know why they are doing things in a way or another (some of those reasons being personal preferences too), and the only thing you manage by doing things your own "way" is antagonizing the tank, interfering with his job AND making encounters longer (never shorter even if you think so) just to flex your epeen by doing MOAR DEEEPEEEESSSSS !!!!

Learn to follow the lead, or if you don't like that, TAKE the lead, but by that i mean :
    - taking up the marking and cc assignements
    - giving tacs
    - tell the tank when to pull, after taking the group's state (healer mana, people's life levels and such) into account
    - tell the tank when to rest and wait for others
    etc...
    Until you are ready to do that (and most "gogogog" dps aren't even capable of doing that for themselves, let alone for a full group), stop messing with the people that take those responsabilities and make things run smooth, and everything will be better for everyone.

And specially STOP thinking you are the only one that want the instance to be done the faster possible, pretty much everyone in there feels the same, and no one needs your retarded "i speak like a 3 years old mentally challenged moron" "gogogogog" lines.....

Most dps still makes me laugh, specially the one pretending to be "tanks" and that it's "roflstomp easy" when every single sentence getting out of their mouth proves they have no clue.

The vast majority of dpsers are lazzy, bads, have no clue, can't even manage to keep a mob cc'ed (yeah i know, /focus and a cast on focus macro is supra hard to keep up, we shouldn't require it from you... [/SARCASM]), and use EVERY single trick in their book to make the tank's and healer's life miserable, before griefing them and bashing them for their own mistakes.

The day that behaviour will stop, and you'll just follow directions instead of thinking "you know better" (when you can't even manage to learn what mob have what ability and to let the tank LoS pull, or learn to stop attacking and run TO the tank instead of burning the mob and running away from the tank when you gain aggro), you might get more tanks (and more competent ones).

Right now, most tanks are either handpicking the people they queue with, put some drastics rules on what they do (you fuck up and i'm out, you pull you tank and such) such because the level of stupidity, lazziness and griefing from the vast majority of dpsers is totally baffling, and people don't want to cope with it.

I for one do less and less rhc, and most of the time i'm now in dps to avoid having to cope with that behaviour.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Veranya View Post
    Can not do anything but answer this. I do not know though if it has been said before. Just a note: I agree that DPS that do not attack tank targets are retarded.

But your statement above is false. Attacks such as Avenger's Shield should no longer hit CC'd targets. Think it applies to things like Chain Lightning also. So myea, you kinda fail majorly there.

Edit: Seems blizzard fucked this up in a patch or shit. But it should not at least, and I have not seen anything in a Blue about a change to it (I read them all). Not that I have noticed this while doing Heroics with my guilds Paladin MT ...
    I would love knowing in what world AS is supposed not to hit cc'ed targets (or any other aoe for what matters), because mine sure go. As my Heart Strike does, and my Swipe/Trash, and my Thunderclap, Shockwave, Cleave, and they always did as long as i can remember.

And another thing is that it's always nice to let the tanks pull back mobs away from cc, so everyone can use their cleaves/aoe with no risks of breaking cc, and no risk for pets to break it either (like the "cleave-like" of the uh ghoul, or howling blast, or holywrath/hammer of the righteous/AS/Consecration on the pally, etc).

Dg is a 30s cd that doesn't work on every mob, strangulate a 2mins cd, and once again, it doesn't work when moronic "gogogogo" dps are hammering said mobs as hard as they can to inflate their numbers instead of waiting the few needed seconds for the tank to pull them back, gather them, and allow everyone to go balls out on them all at a time without risks.....

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 03:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slashgordon View Post
    Glyph of AS is a threat boost on bosses / single targets. It also makes tanking with crowd control much easier as you don't have aforementioned problems with it's cleave breaking CC. If you glyph it, it becomes an exceptionally powerful threat move, which is alos a very potent ranged silence / pulling tool.

You can pull large groups with it glyphed - taunt one, be fucked immediatly after by the three dps each one going all out on one random mob (preferably not the marked ones) and complaining after that.

PS
    Dear dps, stop being such arrogant ass hats just because you chose to play a dps, are terribly bad at it, have no clue how tanking works but still want to teach tanks that know far better than you how to do it, and pretend that when you fuck up every single pull it's always the tank's fault instead of yours. Just as much as you guys say DPS are tards, DPS have call to say "tanks in LFG are nearly all terrible"because they can't even accept they are making mistakes, even when people point out they have 0 interupt on a whole instance, keep attacking the wrong mobs, do not switch on adds, but are STILL blaming tanks that have to make it up for their stupidity and incompetence...
    There you go, fixed it for you.

Deleted
    I can sympathise with you partly OP, but my annoyance is directed at the healers. This only happens in dungeons where we have limited CC and there are ranged mobs in the packs VP/HoO etc

anyway, example:

I enter VP on my tank, we have 2 warriors and a shadowpriest with a paladin healing. I look at my options and decide to root pull one and then LoS pull to get the other casters into melee range.

I tell the group 'I'll LoS pull them so we dont have to deal with the casters' then I go ahead and root, then go bear and hide behind the left pillar, the pull works perfectly - the dps are stood nuking the melee that instantly ran round the pillar to get me. The two caster mobs begin to cast and then stop and start moving towards the pillar.

I'm on 90% health at this point, the melee adds haven't really started hitting me too much. The caster adds then stop running towards the pillar and start casting... I'm thinking... what? oh...great.... the healer is stood in the middle of the archway healing me and wondering why the two casters are nuking him...

Of course I don't stand there and rage at him I run and pick them up...but come on why cant people use their brains?

Have some patience and get to know a bit about those 4 other guys you've landed in a party with.

It just might surprise you that they're human after all and with a few /pokes in the right direction a good and nice co-ordinate group can be made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarashan View Post
    Just a note: Avenger's Shield NOW hits cc'd targets. Either by intent or bug, it does.
    Sure about that? I used it fine last night. It will hit non-insta break CC like hex though, but you'd be unlucky to break a hex with it.

Pretty sure the OP should have just pressed AS and saved a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Have some patience and get to know a bit about those 4 other guys you've landed in a party with.

It just might surprise you that they're human after all and with a few /pokes in the right direction a good and nice co-ordinate group can be made.
    We must not use the same LFD tool then.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashareth View Post
    For silence, feel free to point that one in the Bear arsenal (specially a ranged silence), or in the paladin's arsenal too (hint : the only silence in the paladin's arsenal is indeed ranged, but hits three targets, making it unusable near a cc'ed mob, hence why tanks are pissed off at retarded "gogogogololezy" dps that can't wait 10s for them to separate the mobs, ranged included, from the cc'ed targets so everyone can go all out).
    Avenger's Shield no longer hits CC'd targets unless fired at them directly.

What if I tank it with my pet, kill it, then proceed to kill whatever you're fighting? Worst case scenario, I've just effectively CCed it by occupying it and if my pet dies I can always feign death and we're no worse off, best case scenario it's dead.