Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Game time for gold?

So something I have been seeing more recently is people selling 60 day game time codes for in game gold (price varies but normally around 10k or so). Just wondering, is this legal according to the ToS? I mean if so, I'd rather spend in game gold then real money that I can use elsewhere. Does anyone know for sure? Seems a bit sketchy to me personally.

probably not

Against ToS Im pretty sure, and its sketch as all hell.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legal is. But is agains't the TOS.

Well I knew it was tech legal. Was more referring in terms of the ToS. Didn't figure it was but thought I'd ask in case I was mistaken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the codes from loot cards can be sold for gold, but the actual physical card can't be sold for gold.

I doubt this would be too different, but i'd read over it and check.

As a blue posted not too long ago: you can trade in game valuables (boe mounts from cards, items, etc.) for in game currency, you cannot trade in game valuables for out of game currency, you can trade out of game valuables (unused loot cards, game time cards, etc.) for out of game currency, you cannot trade out of game valuables for in game currency.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's against the TOS and bannable if caught. Then again, I've done it with a guildy who ran into financial problems, but had like 50K+ gold so I bought him one and in exchange he gave me 15k.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

I spoke to a GM about this about a year ago.
    It is not illegal in any way.

If you can find someone trustworthy enough to do the deal without anyone scamming anyone, then it is not against TOS.
    He said though, if you do get scammed, it can not be dealt with, this is why it is not legal nor illegal.

Think about it this way, blizzard makes money off of this, someone gives someone gold, and that second someone BUYS something off of blizz.
    It is not like gold sellers. Blizzard does not profit from it.

So.. You can do it, but if you get scammed, don't cry to blizz because they might make it illegal then, and you won't get anything back due to the non-verifiability of this.

Deleted
    CCP actually does this with EVE Online. It works well. It helps get horded "gold" off the servers which helps the economy over all.

Edit: And when I say they "do this" I mean they have a system in place to make the sales of PLEXs (in game time codes) easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragtik View Post
    I spoke to a GM about this about a year ago.
    It is not illegal in any way.
    Don't spread false information about something that can and will get you banned. Buying items which cost irl money to purchase with ingame currency is against the terms of use.

'Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for “real” money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of the Game.'
    Last edited by Mudkiper; 2011-02-26 at 11:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

it should be allowed. blizz won't hurt because pre-paid cards have to be bought somewhere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRawR View Post
    CCP actually does this with EVE Online. It works well. It helps get horded "gold" off the servers which helps the economy over all.

Edit: And when I say they "do this" I mean they have a system in place to make the sales of PLEXs (in game time codes) easier.
    It does not "work well". It works awfully. All it means is that the fat cats in the top alliances who all talk to CCP (off the record, ofc) can play for free.

What, you didn't know just how corrupt CCP is? They make blizz look like saints.

(if you don't believe me, look at the old blueprint scandals.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Man i wouldnt have to pay for any game time if i found one of these people.. Could easily make 10k every month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Don't spread false information about something that can and will get you banned. Buying items which cost irl money to purchase with ingame currency is against the terms of use.

'Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for “real” money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of the Game.'
    I do understand what you're trying to say.
    But I have been doing this for a while, a GM confirmed that it was OK to do it, it's not like I'm buying a car with ingame gold, I'm buying gametime from someone who payed blizzard.

It is a grey zone, it's not a yes nor a no. It's just, if you happen to get scammed, they cant do anything about it, and then it might get illegal on u.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it really comes down to trust in the end

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Man i wouldnt have to pay for any game time if i found one of these people.. Could easily make 10k every month or so.
    This is my sentiment, which is why I'm trying to get a definitive answer. Because if I can without violating the ToS that's awesome. If not I don't want to get smacked with a banhammer for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragtik View Post
    I do understand what you're trying to say.
    But I have been doing this for a while, a GM confirmed that it was OK to do it, it's not like I'm buying a car with ingame gold, I'm buying gametime from someone who payed blizzard.

It is a grey zone, it's not a yes nor a no. It's just, if you happen to get scammed, they cant do anything about it, and then it might get illegal on u.
    Until we get a 100% yes or no from a RECENT blue post, we cannot be sure. 50% of people seem to say they have had a GM okay it, the other half have had one that has said it is against TOS and bannable.

Deleted
    Way against ToS. And it was stated countess times by blues that any trading of in game objects for IRL things is forbidden. And yes, you are trading in game currency for a real world object, since you are paying for the actual code. Can get you suspended, especially if you are dumb enough to advert in /2

Puting that aside, it's rather common on my server, but it's either done withing a guild or through friends. Regarding should you do it or not, well if you are ok with breaking the rules and you either have a good income or find it acceptable to do treacherous grinding in case you don't to get the money needed... by any means.