Poll: Do you use Master Looter?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you raid with Master Looter?

Simple enough, do you raid with master looter?

What are your pros/cons of using Master Looter?

Personally, my guild uses Need Before Greed. Our raiders aren't the same skill level, and we all haven't been in for the same time, but raiding isn't about killing bosses to get loot, its about building camaraderie with guildmates. That's why its an MMO. I find Master Loot to be unnecessary in an environment of trust and just the lack of OMG I NEED THAT LOOT. All of our raiders know that the gear will drop, and they will outroll their competition for it eventually. We aren't obsessed about maxing, because we know that when we wipe it isn't because our healers aren't geared or our dps is too slow, it because of mistakes in execution or game plan. Of course we do implement MS>OS, but that's just common courtesy.

I see how Master Looter is needed for pugs or new guilds or volatile guilds, but really, everyone should push for a guild with high trust and less dependence on gear. Its SO much more enjoyable and rewarding to just go in and down bosses than to sit there being told what to do and hope that the officers recognize your efforts and give you the gear.

If you use any kind of DKP system, which i think a majority of raiding guilds, do, you're going to use master looter.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer to see items going to those who will be able to give back to the guild the most

rather than rng

Quote Originally Posted by Ner zhul View Post
    i prefer to see items going to those who will be able to give back to the guild the most

rather than rng
    In a perfect guild, everyone carries their weight and you dont have to worry about it much. Slackers dont last in a guild where trust and dependability are higher on the list than gear and progression.

If you are curious, yes I am in a top 500 guild, not casual

My guild also uses a DKP system - along with Master Looter. We do this to ensure that loot gets distributed evenly among its raid members to keep your raid balanced. While Need before Green is a decent method, there will always be people who lose on rolls. While yes, the loot will come eventually, the simple fact is that in a 25 man raid, you will possibly end up with a few people who seem to just never get that upgrade and will always struggle to keep up with the rest of the raid.

Killing a boss any day is better than the loot, but in the end, the loot is the reward for your time spent. You want those rewards going to the people that earned them, and sometimes, it takes Master Looter and a loot method to ensure that it happens. I've see people join a guild, get a lot of gear, and then leave for greener pastures. I've seen dishonest people join and guild and use it for everything they possibly can. While trust is important - ultimately, there are and will always be the dishonest ones that will ruin everyone elses experience. I put my trust in my guild officers to do their best to make sure this doesn't happen, and I applaud them for taking the time to implement a loot system and use a ML to make things as fair as possible for all people involved.

Ultimately, every guild is different, and every guild with use what ever loot method best suits their needs.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, but I have, and it doesn't matter really.

Currently not raiding, but when I did it was always with either FFA or ML and with DKP or loot council.
    If you can't trust your guild mates to not steal stuff with FFA or rolls then you're playing with the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Songweaver View Post
    My guild also uses a DKP system - along with Master Looter. We do this to ensure that loot gets distributed evenly among its raid members to keep your raid balanced. While Need before Green is a decent method, there will always be people who lose on rolls. While yes, the loot will come eventually, the simple fact is that in a 25 man raid, you will possibly end up with a few people who seem to just never get that upgrade and will always struggle to keep up with the rest of the raid.

Killing a boss any day is better than the loot, but in the end, the loot is the reward for your time spent. You want those rewards going to the people that earned them, and sometimes, it takes Master Looter and a loot method to ensure that it happens. I've see people join a guild, get a lot of gear, and then leave for greener pastures. I've seen dishonest people join and guild and use it for everything they possibly can. While trust is important - ultimately, there are and will always be the dishonest ones that will ruin everyone elses experience. I put my trust in my guild officers to do their best to make sure this doesn't happen, and I applaud them for taking the time to implement a loot system and use a ML to make things as fair as possible for all people involved.

Ultimately, every guild is different, and every guild with use what ever loot method best suits their needs.
    Well said, and yes I would see how it is difficult in 25 mans to keep everyone balanced gear-wise, but our players have a grasp for that and pass sometimes to help bring other people up. Once priority for gear goes away, everyone just wants everyone to have a good time, not be the biggest dps because of their gear or put out the most healing. We are competitive, yes, but it's not our greatest aspiration.

Deleted
    Master looter isn't needed, DKP systems are useless you will find most of the very top tier guilds have simple priority's when it comes to gear. You gear your tanks as best as you possible can, then dps and then healers. When you have cleared everything then gear doesn't matter anyway because you can beat it in your current gear. Loot whores can just sulk in a corner before everything is on farm.

Master Looter is for pugs and bad guilds.

It's not used in any decent guilds, people just click the 'pass' button.

I think the OP is confusing Master Looter and Loot Council. but i love master looter. my guild uses DKP and we have a master looter that gives out gear based on who has the highest DKP that sends him a tell for a certain item. pretty nice to go and do trash and have 1 person take care of loot and make sure it goes to the right person. speeds up the raid a little.

Quote Originally Posted by daenerys View Post
    If you use any kind of DKP system, which i think a majority of raiding guilds, do, you're going to use master looter.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

...and this is why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Um...I'm in a top 200 guild. We use ML with a EPGP system. Its not bad at all so...don't know what you're on.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Force of habit to just do Master Looter it's not a big issue, we've gone a few raids were we kept forgetting about Master Looter and it was on free roll, mind you it's a 10man and we're all really good friends. We never have issues while free rolling even then someone might get the item and just trade it off to the other person who rolled if they agree on who needs it more if anything.

Look at 'Team Ice' (now retired) they were lets say a top 20 WORLD guild they raided with no ml on and an initiate nina'd Mimerons head when it was a big deal serious face mount.

You never know what people will do when given the chance, so why give them the chance?
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Loot Council (turns into /roll for most items) with ML here. (though often I forget to set ML, no big deal but we have to be careful not to shard items we may later decide we need. ML just makes it a little safer)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we do master looter. Whoever needs the item the most typically gets it, but we haven't gotten to the point where numerous people are rolling on single items, so we've had no disputes.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

We run with it set on group loot. We also use DKP. People need on what is supposed to be theirs, pass on what is not. If someone ever seriously decided to try to "ninja" something, it would be followed by a gkick. This issue has never come up in the time that I've been in the guild, and I've never heard about it happening prior to when I joined.

My raid group with one or two new players have been together for over 4 years now and still use master loot. We do it mainly based on the tradition of the group and partly because some of us have interfaces which have clicking right where our loot boxes pop up. Trust issue doesn't come into play in the guild or even with pugs. If you were there for the fight your eligible for roll. Heck, we have given a phoenix mount to a pug before. It's not about protecting loot for us, just how we like to do things.

I've always been in a guild with a master looter. It isn't a matter of trust (for the most part), there are a ton of other reasons to use it. I've been part of a top 500 guild, but also part of some pretty casual ones.

1) Loot can be passed out more fairly. Yes random rolls are fair, but it possible to have one character go without an upgrade for a while. This isn't as big a deal now that so many pieces drop, but in BC my guild had some trouble with this. When we hit BT, there were still people with a couple of kara pieces they just hasn't been able to replace. Using a master looter to make sure these people got upgrades faster was very helpful to the guild.
    2) DKP (or equivilant) can be used as encouragement. You don't need it so much in the top guilds, but in the lower guilds it can help ensure people are ontime, with flasks/food, having read up on the fights.
    3) It is easier to deal with the everyone passes case. Instead of the item potentially being DEed, you can make sure to pass it to someone who can use it for their offspec. Yes a top guild won't have a problem here, but a more casual guild (with more players coming in and out) is more likely to have trouble here.
    4) In the lower level guilds there is always that one guy. You know the one. He doesn't realize that the item with spirit is a healing piece. He thinks that taking that item for +5 extra crit is worth it, when someone really needs it. Yes you can kick him, and that is one thing that makes better guilds more successful. But since he is a friend of the GM or the MT or something, and your guild is pretty casual, you keep him around. Master looter is for people like him.

Most of these are really for more average to casual guilds. But I think the first point can be important for hardcore guilds. And having a master looter doesn't have to be a bad thing. In my best guild we used a DKP system. But we had people on the time who saw that someone else needed it more and had the master looter give it to them. The truth is that a group of good people (who care more about kills than loot) will find a way to make every system work well. A group of baddies will mess any system up.