Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Guild Wars 2 Information

I'm really excited for this game, and there isn't a lot of information on the main site (guildwars2.com), so I'm gonna put some links up here that reveal a bit more. Of course, you could just look around the wiki yourself if you were so inclined.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Activities
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_system
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_...t_of_the_World
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_storyline
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    This is the only game i'll admit that has a chance at actually taking a good chunk of wow players because its actually different....unlike a certain game.
    Couldn't agree more, I am definitely looking forward to play GW2.

Thanks for all the wiki list

And why exactly would it take WoW players? Its free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    And why exactly would it take WoW players? Its free to play.
    If you got free steak everyday, would you pay for Burgers on the side?

10+ Year Old Account
    If Guild Wars 2 was a threat to any p2p mmo, then GW would have more of an impact.
    Its like people forgot what the GW franchise.

im actually counting down the days untill this comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    If Guild Wars 2 was a threat to any p2p mmo, then GW would have more of an impact.
    Its like people forgot what the GW franchise.
    I'm not following your logic. Are you saying that a sequel can't be better or different from the original?

Game looks ok so far. Nothing really new to the genre, but I'm sure it will be a good "no subscription" game.

Deleted
    its really nice

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Game looks ok so far. Nothing really new to the genre, but I'm sure it will be a good "no subscription" game.
    Hmmm - I think you should click on the links or at least see the design manifesto. This game - even before its release - has been credited with being a catalyst for change in the mmo space. GW2 was a seriously risky venture for ANet - one that I was not sure would pay off. They had 4M subscribers at their peak... and they literally put them all on pause for more than 4 years without releasing any new content - or even a heads up as to what they were doing.

I would say that there are MORE elements that change the genre than not. Dynamic event systems, no quest text - just events occurring that you can or chose not to effect - that affect the entire world around you - elimination of the holy trinity of tanks / heals / DPS... giving players different ways to truly support the group.

How about the ability of classes to effect each other's play style and damage ability -- not through some lame ass buff - but based on where you are standing? I.E. Fire Elementalist putting down flame wall that ranger can shoot arrows through to increase damage done.

There are so many innovations in this game that I could not even do it justice to try and list them all here.

My only fear is that they are changing a lot - and that it might be too much change - and that the product might be too alien to adopt when its released because its so different.

Regardless - I really applaud ANet - and I hope its a successful launch and product for them.

but that's just my 2 cents - and its not worth that much these days.
    Last edited by LCSX99; 2011-03-01 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is making some serious changes to the MMO industry and it is a good thing. I think the risk will pay off, and as soon as enough WoW players get past the fact that they are not playing their old characters and realize that they do not have to be stuck with 1 strict role in combat (Healing, dps, tanking) but that it is fluid, they will be VERY happy.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Deleted
    Only thing i'm a bit sceptic about GW2 is that it's ftp game. If there is a 1 thing i have learned in my life, is that absolutely nothing, runs for free in this world anymore. Or maybe they have so massive amount of content, that it keeps you entertained 1 year untill the x-pack. Too early to say but thats my only concern about GW2. Other than that, it seems to be a great game for a ftp.

And the only credit i have heard from GW2 have come from the developers themselves, promising something is a totally differend thing than delivering. Like i totally wen't for cataclysm, in hopes of it being differend, better, harder & refreshing. Just like the developers promised. But had no delivery.

tbh i still don't see it as threat towards wow's community. wow has a strong...'base' fan i guess?

I will probably buy it.

Just hate the lore & races.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskEd View Post
    Only thing i'm a bit sceptic about GW2 is that it's ftp game. If there is a 1 thing i have learned in my life, is that absolutely nothing, runs for free in this world anymore. Or maybe they have so massive amount of content, that it keeps you entertained 1 year untill the x-pack. Too early to say but thats my only concern about GW2. Other than that, it seems to be a great game for a ftp.

And the only credit i have heard from GW2 have come from the developers themselves, promising something is a totally differend thing than delivering. Like i totally wen't for cataclysm, in hopes of it being differend, better, harder & refreshing. Just like the developers promised. But had no delivery.
    It's not free to play model.. it's buy to play which is releasing new content via expansion packs.. in fact..it's still pay to play.. but just in different way ...and which seems it's more plausible for many people.

but there is real difference between classic P2P games and B2P games.. P2P games like wow just needs keep their players for all cost (because they are loosing money otherwise)..so they are just introducing many time sinks and grind which will keep players subscribed. In B2P games.. this is not a case.. they can reduce the grind and daily tasks so you will only play when you want... and what you want..

Well..credit wise as you said.. Guild Wars 1 was and still is very popular game.. yea..it's not classic MMORPG but still have tons of followers. Also while they promised a lot... most major promises are already in the game..playable on demos, demonstrated on videos.. It's not like Bioware is promising best mmorpg in the history but showing just some clunky videos. But of course.. It's Bioware ..so they just can't be wrong...right?

There is actually a lot of official info on the official site of arenanet in terms of blogs.
    really, a TON of info

http://www.arena.net/blog/category/guild-wars-2

happy reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

Deleted
    cant wait for gw2, i was so addicted to gw1 and with all the new changes this game is gonna be EPIC!

I'll probably play it since its not a blatant boring WoW ripoff and its F2P.

F2P also means it won't be "competing" with WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    If you got free steak everyday, would you pay for Burgers on the side?
    Well, I can't say how good Guild Wars is going to be. It might be the Burger to WoW's steak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    This is the only game i'll admit that has a chance at actually taking a good chunk of wow players because its actually different....unlike a certain game.
    Oh no, not this one game we are not allowed to talk about :X