New PC or upgrade?

I'm wondering if I should just upgrade my GPU (and potentially PSU), or if my current parts aren't good enough to really make use of higher end GPUs. Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome!

Current build:
    Case
    HDD
    Mother Board
    CPU
    PSU
    GPU (RIP BFG)
    RAM
    Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster T220

I won't have the money for a few weeks anyway, so I was thinking about an LGA1155 system if I do end up doing a whole new build. Though I really should get a new monitor first, considering the issues the SyncMaster T220 has...
    Look ahead and see, there's still so many borders we could cross
    Just you and me, making up for all the time that we have lost.

I know right? I have a SyncMaster too that I got bundled with my Nvidia GTX 285. Broke once (Power supply problems, wouldnt stay on for more then 5 seconds) Sent it back to manufacturer and a month later got it back only to have it break again within 12 hours of hooking it up =/. (All the menu/brightness buttons stopped working)

Sucks, All I have to use in the meantime is an old LG PoS that takes 5 minutes to turn on (Hoping it doesnt die before I get my monitor back again...). =(
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Cpu there aint the best. But probley could handle a 460gtx or ati 5770.

The sandybridge builds are brilliant. I have one running things very well and cool.

Tbh I'd just go with a whole new LGA1155 rig, you can recycle your old RAM, HDD, and case to it. Athlons are kinda awful for gaming really, yes they do cut it for WoW but for anything new? No. Just plain bad.

If you're set with just upgrading your current rig, I'd go with Geforce 560Ti. Would also get some new PSU just to be sure.

It might be better if you posted the spec you're trying to build instead of getting people to click the links?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Tbh I'd just go with a whole new LGA1155 rig, you can recycle your old RAM, HDD, and case to it. Athlons are kinda awful for gaming really, yes they do cut it for WoW but for anything new? No. Just plain bad.

If you're set with just upgrading your current rig, I'd go with Geforce 560Ti. Would also get some new PSU just to be sure.
    That's odd, I'm using an AMD build, and I no zero issues. Huh, weird...

Regarding the OP:

What are you looking to do? Are you looking to have a minimum frame rate during raid encounters in WoW with max settings? Or are you looking at different games?

Right now your build isn't that bad, it all depends on what you want to do.
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2011-03-01 at 10:45 AM.

I just recently changed to a sandybridge build and I am constantly being blown away by it's performance. I'd probably go with the i5 2500K, they are pretty sweet (I used to have a Phenom II Quad Core 9xx Black Edition, can't remember the exact number)
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The AMD 975 BE just came out. It'll probably be the last of the AM3 series and it's $200. I really wouldn't go to Intel 2500k from what you have because you're still on the same generation. Your best best may be to wait for AM3+ to come out before getting a whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Regarding the OP:

What are you looking to do? Are you looking to have a minimum frame rate during raid encounters in WoW with max settings? Or are you looking at different games?

Right now your build isn't that bad, it all depends on what you want to do.
    I'll mostly be playing WoW and SC2, but I'll probably also be looking into buying newer games now that I've got money to spare. Specifically for WoW I don't raid or PvP much, but I'd like to be able to run max settings smoothly. I'm mostly interested in being able to run newer games well. Gotta get ready for work now though, I'll try to expand on this when I get home in ~12 hours.

Thanks for the replies so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeriphal View Post
    I'll mostly be playing WoW and SC2, but I'll probably also be looking into buying newer games now that I've got money to spare. Specifically for WoW I don't raid or PvP much, but I'd like to be able to run max settings smoothly. I'm mostly interested in being able to run newer games well. Gotta get ready for work now though, I'll try to expand on this when I get home in ~12 hours.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Without replacing everything in your PC, the cheapest/best option would be to replace your current GPU with a GeForce GTX 460. They're just under $200 at Newegg.com, which isn't too bad. Your PSU should be fine. The only other thing I would upgrade would be to slap another 2G or more of RAM, but that's just me.

If you're on a low budget, the first thing you should upgrade is your graphics card, the least you should upgrade to is a 5770. If you want you can go a bit further and get a GTX 460 768mb version which is only $10 more after MIR here in the US. Not sure about Canadian prices, but I would not recommend 1GB version of the GTX 460 because it costs a lot more than the 768mb version and offers only a small performance boost which is not enough to justify its cost.

If you want to upgrade something else, CPU would be next, get a 955 or 965 phenom II x4. Go with whichever is cheaper because if you are on a budget and know how to OC then there won't be much of a difference between the two.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

In my experience GPU upgrades in WoW don't do nearly as much for your FPS as a CPU upgrade would. I went from a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.4 GHz to a i5 2500K at 5.2 GHz and my FPS went from 60 to 160 while using the same GPU.

When I went from my 8800GT to a GTX560Ti I didn't as much FPS as I gained while upgrading my CPU.

Also getting a SSD to install WoW on will make your load times amazing. You know how you will load into game sometimes in Dalaran and see nobody there? Then all of a sudden their characters start loading in... well with a SSD all their characters already are there by the time you load in.
    Last edited by noremac; 2011-03-01 at 04:55 PM.

Without replacing everything in your PC, the cheapest/best option would be to replace your current GPU with a GeForce GTX 460. They're just under $200 at Newegg.com, which isn't too bad. Your PSU should be fine. The only other thing I would upgrade would be to slap another 2G or more of RAM, but that's just me.
    That's what I was thinking - for the video card. I built my current PC a few months ago with the guide from the stickies in mind. I reused my old 9600GT though because I didn't have a job at the time, so I was pretty low budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    I would not recommend 1GB version of the GTX 460 because it costs a lot more than the 768mb version and offers only a small performance boost which is not enough to justify its cost.
    Last I checked it's only like a $20 difference? Well, either way I won't be purchasing for a few weeks so I've got some time to consider everyone's comments and my own thoughts - and to watch for price changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac
    Also getting a SSD to install WoW on will make your load times amazing.
    Yea, I was thinking about a 64gb one for WoW and Windows. I suppose that's something I could even put into my current machine too.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

EDIT: Oh, also, I'm thinking about running two monitors. The second one would be used solely for IM/internet browsing/whatever else while I play games on the main screen. Also: Oh hey, look at that, Newegg has a new stock of LGA1155s in finally.
    Last edited by Zeriphal; 2011-03-02 at 03:45 AM.

That's odd, I'm using an AMD build, and I no zero issues. Huh, weird...
    Yes because I was totally bashing every single AMD build and AMD in general. /sigh

Athlons are bad for gaming, no matter if you have AMD build or not.

Last I checked it's only like a $20 difference? Well, either way I won't be purchasing for a few weeks so I've got some time to consider everyone's comments and my own thoughts - and to watch for price changes.
    Link please. 768mb version on newegg are less than $110 and there are currently 2 to choose from. 1GB versions are $150+++ and there is only 1 @ $150 after MIR while all others are $160-170 or more after MIR.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Link please. 768mb version on newegg are less than $110 and there are currently 2 to choose from. 1GB versions are $150+++ and there is only 1 @ $150 after MIR while all others are $160-170 or more after MIR.
    I said last I checked, not that I checked recently.

That said, I usually only check the prices of EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus video cards.

Anyway: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...d=1&name=768MB

768mb version is only as low as $146 (That's on the Canadian newegg site though, US prices may be different.)

I said last I checked, not that I checked recently.

That said, I usually only check the prices of EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus video cards.

Anyway: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...d=1&name=768MB
    sion is only as low as $146 (That's on the Canadian newegg site though, US prices may be different.)
    Oh yeah, my bad, I didn't notice you were Canadian. And wow, I guess there really isn't much of a price difference between the 1gb and 768mb versions over there.

Anyways, if you want to spend a little extra, a 5870 is only ~$40 more after MIR, it is a lot faster (a good 20-30%) than a gtx 460 1gb and should be worth considering:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-476-_-Product
    I love XFX, and this card is by far the cheapest one available on newegg.ca

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned your PSU, which could definitely use an upgrade if you are going to get a new graphics card and potentially a new CPU as well. Your current PSU only has 360W on the 12v rail which is fairly weak for a 500W model which indicates that it's pretty bad quality.

First choice would be this:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-020-_-Product
    If you want something cheaper (meaning not as good quality, but still decent):
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-019-_-Product
    500W model of the Corsair CX is $10 cheaper but it doesn't have a $15 MIR, so you might as well get the 600W one for the same price (after MIR).

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Also, I don't think anyone mentioned your PSU, which could definitely use an upgrade if you are going to get a new graphics card and potentially a new CPU as well. Your current PSU only has 360W on the 12v rail which is fairly weak for a 500W model which indicates that it's pretty bad quality.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I made the thread! I was already looking at the 460 as a potential before I made this thread, but I wasn't sure if the rest of my hardware (particularly the PSU) would support it well enough. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    the ASUS 460GTX might still be on sale at Newegg.com for $130