Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone else get particularly offended when people ever compare Riot to Blizzard?

There's been a lot of unironic (you can distinguish a shitbag from someone who is honest) chanting Riot Games is the new Blizzard or something along those lines. Blizzard is behind some of the most influential IPs ever in the form of Warcraft, Diablo, and SC, all of which have had massive impacts on their genres and video games as a whole. They were pretty much known as the Disney of video games and a company everyone wants/wanted to work for.

All Riot Games has to their name is a track record for unethical and shady work practices and one game that belongs to a fad genre that won't sustain itself forever. Some of their recent products are said to pay homage to Blizzard's more popular products like Hearthstone but they're clearly just aping them like with their card game. And yet, despite Blizzard's history and importance, people take every opportunity they have to shit on them now by sinking to comparing them to Riot.

All things considered, does it not make anyone else at least a little peeved?

Why get offended on behalf of any company?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

You need more substance in life if you find yourself in situation where you have time and energy to be offended about multinational corporation in behalf of another multinational corporation.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Shady work from Riot?

They are insanely less predatory than other Blizzards games.
    Hearthstone and HOTS specifically are predatory.

Their new card game is advertised to be less predatory than any other card game on the entire market.
    There is even a MAX amount of real money you can spend in this new card game per week.

----

When it comes to comparing it to Blizzard.
    Only very recently with the new announcemts, its justifiable. Not before the annoucements.

Only time will tell about the quality of said new games.

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    Why get offended on behalf of any company?
    most of my childhood and better days were through Blizzard, like hopefully millions of others. I hate the fact now people are trying to take away from this and disparagingly compare it to an MOBA company of all things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Shady work from Riot?

Their new card game is advertised to be less predatory than any other card game on the entire market.
    There is even a MAX amount of real money you can spend in this new card game per week.

----

Only very recently with the new announcemts, its justifiable. Not before the annoucements.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...loyee_walkout/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...iot_games_for/

Whoever does should seriously seek help and try to work on their life. Unless if you are a Blizzard game designer then you should not. You have nothing linked to them other than playing their game. Whether Blizzard start a new policy where all employees have to eat their shit and have sex with dead bodies i couldnt care less. Our relation with them is we give money and we hope they give good content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its well past time to stop calling LoL and Mobas a "fad". They're as popular as ever if not more so.

Anyways yeah I can't see the Riot/Blizzard connections people make. Maybe when Riot has more games under their belt which will be happening very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    most of my childhood and better days were through Blizzard, like hopefully millions of others. I hate the fact now people are trying to take away from this and disparagingly compare it to an MOBA company of all things.
    Most of the people that made the games you like aren't part of Blizzard anymore, if you're talking about the original Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo games. You're only wasting your time getting offended on behalf of some company that owes you nothing and you owe nothing to. Blizzard is not your friend. It's not your enemy either. It's just a company that makes games.

I've been playing Blizzard games since '94 with Warcraft 1. While I appreciate the enjoyment I got from those games and am glad that certain individuals got together under the banner of Blizzard to make those games, Blizzard is just a brand. If you'd like, you can go on Twitter or some other social media and thank the actual people that worked on the games, but you'll get no love or validation from the company.

If people want to shit on Blizzard for questionable practices, or the whole Hong Kong thing, that's their prerogative and realistically it doesn't affect you in any way, much the same as people praising it still doesn't affect you in any way. It's not worth your time and energy to get offended or annoyed by it.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you get upset when people call Blizzard the spawn of Satan himself and describe Blizzard as lower than whale feces? If that is the case, why is that the case?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Shady work from Riot?

I don't know about Heroes but the only thing "predatory" about Hearthstone is that it's a collectable card game instead of a trading card game. Outside of that you are are saying every card game is predatory.

parasocial brand loyalty syndrome is the most fascinating self inflicted complex of our times. Imagine treating a corporate entity like its a friend with feelings and some relation to yourself. Its like getting mad at someone calling Subway the new Burger King. Just shut up and consume product while getting excited for the next product fellow paypigs.

So offended, I am starting to foam at the mouth with rage.

10+ Year Old Account

I agree its an insult to Riot to get compared to the company that ruined all those legendary franchises from the old Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shady work from Riot?

----

Tell me how HOTS is predatory, especially this year confirmed that HOTS is put on freeze.

No because i'm an adult...

No. I dislike Riot games and I don't even consider them worthy of being compared to Blizzard.
    The new card game is a shameless ripoff with an identical interface to that of Hearthstone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why'd I get offended on behalf of a company? That's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Tell me how HOTS is predatory, especially this year confirmed that HOTS is put on freeze.
    You need to play an insane amount of games to earn gold to unlock a champion?
    No way you can keep up with gold to buy champions...you need to spend real $$$

You need to play an insane amount of games to earn gold to unlock a champion?
    No way you can keep up with gold to buy champions...you need to spend real $$$
    For the time I played HoTS, that is quite untrue. Unless they lowered the gold rewards or upped hero prices.

OT: Unless I'm a loyal employee there, I can't fathom the concept of being offended on behalf of a company. I've got no interests in Riot's games atm but Blizzard is far from clean in their business practices.
    Last edited by kail; 2019-11-23 at 04:47 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get offended on behalf of a company i feel like you have bigger problems you should adress.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..