PC Game Controller

Howdy all.

I am looking to buy a gaming controller (a console style user interface) for my PC and am looking for constructive input.

I run Win 7 x64, and have no particular affinity to any specific type of controller. I plan on using it to play sports games, especially baseball.

Suggestions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Best choice is an XBox 360 controller. Windows 7 is designed to use it.

yeah as said wired xbox 360 controller pretty sure i saw the other day the wireless version for pc too with a plug in receiver. and as an added bonus if you have a 360 or go round a friends with one you can use that controller for that too

i always use an USB-Converter for my old playstation controllers. cheap solution for me

You can even play wow a little with it by using xpadder

I use a Xbox 360 wireless controller and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the input, xbox controller it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    I use a Xbox 360 wireless controller and couldn't be happier.
    Do you use it with the wired plug in or some other way? I've heard you can only use the wired ones but haven't looked into it in over two years now
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Do you use it with the wired plug in or some other way? I've heard you can only use the wired ones but haven't looked into it in over two years now
    No, it seems no actual data flows through the Plug & Charge kit cable, it only really charges the battery. I have a wireless receiver from Microsoft that came bundled with the controller.

15+ Year Old Account
    Crazy, never seen that before. Nice to know though
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

As Sensei_Sin said, the Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller is the way to go - it really is a good all-round controller. I mostly use mine for racing games and beat-em ups like GRID, Dirt2 and SF4.

As Sensei also said, you can either get a wireless 360 controller and the wireless adapter, or use a standard wired controller. You can often buy the controller and wireless adapter together in a Games For Windows bundle, or sometimes seperately.

If you prefer a wired, or cheaper, option, you could try getting hold of a third-party wired controller, like one made by MadCatz. The one I have is a slightly different design to the original Microsoft controller, and I find it a bit more comfortable.

Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-03-01 at 11:37 PM. Reason: omg imgs

The cool thing is that the wireless adapter can have up to 4 controllers "tuned" to it at any given time, just like a Xbox 360

You can also use a PS3 controller if you happen to have one laying around. It takes a little more work than just plug and play though.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You can also use a PS3 controller if you happen to have one laying around. It takes a little more work than just plug and play though.
    You can do it via Bluetooth and USB but I haven't been able to find decent drivers that don't randomly crash your computer on a whim, since the drivers are not official.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...Looks like Ill pull my old 360 Controllers and give this a whim!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I had heard of this but never really gave a second thought. I saw that you needed the adapter, but do you need any programs or anything? And is it Mac compatible? Xbox being microsoft and all...

Quote Originally Posted by destructard View Post
    Wow, I had heard of this but never really gave a second thought. I saw that you needed the adapter, but do you need any programs or anything? And is it Mac compatible? Xbox being microsoft and all...
    You can just get the wireless adapter and Windows 7 will automatically install it when it's turned on. If it doesn't, you can always get the software from Microsoft's website.