Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

You are going to live in the wilderness for 10 years, what would you bring?

If you where to live in the wilderness for 10 years either by free choice or force, you are not allowed to leave unless to explore within a 75 mile radius for hunting, and you where allowed to bring as many items as you can carry, no vehicles of any type, and you where to be 100 miles away from any civilization (be it mountain range, forest, etc), what would you bring to start you off/help keep you going? How would you prepare?

I am interested in what everyone will say, this is not to rate how well the person above would survive, just tell everyone how you would go about this.

Remember:
    1. You can only take what you can carry.
    2. You will be at least 100 miles away from any civilization.
    3. You will be in the wilderness for 10 years.

Hope to see some really cool posts.

This is all hypothetical of course, doesn't have to be an actual place.

Here is mine:

I would probably bring:
    Hatchet for firewood
    Flint and Tinder
    A few knives
    a gun for protection against predators
    rations to start me off while I hunt
    a few hunting traps
    extra clothes to start out with
    compass
    water filter
    fishing poles
    dishes/pots
    hunting bow + arrows
    seeds to start a small farm
    tools to fix clothes/farm/skin & prepare animals

and the most important thing!
    Knowledge

I would use the furs to make bedding, decoration and clothing.
    I would set up traps in front of my home to catch animals and protect myself against predators.
    I would map out my surroundings so I don't get lost, know if there are any dangerous crevices, etc.

Some of the first things I would do is prepare most likely a cave to live in, then chop a bunch of firewood with my hatchet, set up a fire to keep warm, and go out hunting. I would then set up a small farm, protect the farm from wildlife as best as possible, and eek out a nice existence.

One of the most important things to me would also to enjoy it, not make it feel forced even if it is, since that would lead to depression and suicide. I would wake up each morning to view the sunrise, enjoy the wildlife, the forest, the nice days, I would get things to fill my time such as hunting, making clothes out of fur, tending to my garden, or exploring.

I would most likely live near the base of an easy to spot mountain in a in a cave in a mountain range with forests and fields around me for good hunting.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2011-03-22 at 03:13 AM.

The Internet
    I would bring a mirror, compass, some canned food, and some folding cups/bowls. I would also probably bring a knife and a multitool.

I would bring a mirror to help signal an aircraft.

I would bring a compass so I could find my way through whatever environment I would be stuck in.

Canned food is self explanatory.

I would bring folding cups/bowls to be able to get water and food without the need of non-collapsing cups/bowls. These are extremely useful, and can come in handy in many situations due to their size.

I feel a knife and multitool are self explanatory.

These are just several of the things I would bring. In a real emergency, I would prepare a much larger and more useful list of things to carry with me.

AND REMEMBER, PREPARE AN EMERGENCY DISASTER LIST IN CASE A REAL EMERGENCY EVER HAPPENS. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED WITH JAPAN. BEING WELL PREPARED CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.

I know this is unrelated to the original post, but it is always good to be prepared for anything.
    Last edited by The Internet; 2011-03-22 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which wilderness? Climate and game potential would be huge factors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Which wilderness? Climate and game potential would be huge factors.
    Wilderness you choose, be it a forest, mountain, cave, jungle, should be on land, and it has to be far from civilization, hypothetical of course, not an actual place.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Off the top of my head? My shotgun and carmax.

15+ Year Old Account
    camping cooking supplies
    magazines
    laptop with wifi card use while i can..lol
    soap
    military food
    wow comics
    matches tons of em
    tent with camping supplies
    rain coat

Water filter, tent, sleeping bag, fishing pole, lures, extra fishing line, small hand gun, extra amo, a madium sized cage style rat trap (for squirels, etc), a small collection of pans and cookware, and as many packets of seeds of both winter and summer crops to grow and cultivate (it's going to be 10 years, so plenty of time to grow corn, tomatoes, squash, and other veggies and herbs.

Edit for matches, a supply of antibiotics and other basic meds, sutcher kit (to stitch up any wounds), a small saw, and a rain coat.

Edit 2: In addition to this list: Since they walk on their own, I will also bring a breeding pair German Shepherd's for companionship and protection (ten years would be one decent pack). I will also take along a mating pair of cow's for milk, and their offspring for meat, as well as one rooster and several Hens for eggs and meat. The Dogs will be smart enough to protect the chickens and cows from predators by the time my gun runs out of bullets, and with the basic tools, fences will soon be built to protect the farm.

Also would hope to meet Disenchanted out there too since between our stuff we are covered (I forgot the iodine, flashlight, rope and extra pair of socks!).
    Last edited by lukz; 2011-03-22 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 years worth of booze and a harmonica.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going for a survival in a moderate forest, not too far north mind you. Think more like Sierra Mountains type climate.
    Several knives, for multiple purposes, a few forks, a pot and some collapsible cups/bowls, matches (and a lot of them)
    Rifle and pistol with some extra ammunition for both.
    A compass, mirror, a foldable shovel, small hatchet, a fishing pole, and some extra line and hooks, hammer and nails, and some parachute cord.
    An all-weather tent. A sleeping bag(lightweight), one or two changes of clothing.
    Flint and tinder, and a small medkit (totally spaced on those) (I clearly died before I read another poster on the second page)
    Two of my massive wool trenchcoats, as well as a needle and some thread for patching them as well as the tent up.
    Once again, though of some other things, a laminated paged handbook on wild plants in the locale that I am inhabiting for ten years, to find out what is edible, what is deadly, and what to stay the hell away from cause it will hurt.
    Also, another handbook(same deal with the plant life book) about the wildlive in the area, what they eat, weather or not they hibernate/migrate etc. I vant to know about my surroundings!
    Some traps, as well as a bow and some arrows. (Can't just shoot at everything that comes along now, can I?)
    That is all that I could think of off the top of my head for now.
    How am I carrying all of this? I have several very large backpacks that can fit this stuff and I can strap the tent and sleeping bag to them. If I were to have to survive in a group situation, then we would have quite a bit more stuff to carry with us as well, all of which would be just as useful.
    Also, I am going to locate a cave as soon as possible, preferably uninhabited by a wild animal at the time of my locating it.

Another edit: You may want to change the distance from civilization, or make something abhorrent going on in the world for ten years, as otherwise, myself and several others could make that distance in a few days. Especially with all of my equipment, I wouldn't even need to rush myself. Hell, I could also cut down on some of my gear at that distance.
    Last edited by Robbyjawz; 2011-03-22 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Holy crap, I just remembered some things.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    10 years worth of booze and a harmonica.
    You will die in 2 weeks so drink all of that 10 years of booze in 2 weeks mk?

and dammit make sure its good whiskey....if you're in the wilderness....or hell, make moonshine while your out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably bring Bear Grylls.

Depends on if you consider a bicycle to be against the rules. If not, see ya in a couple days.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

100 hits of acid and a water bottle. 10 years...won't matter then
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

100 miles? I'll bring a couple of snacks, a map, and some running shoes, maybe a separate pair of clothes, some light blankets, some canned food, a multi-tool knife.

Then jog for a few days towards civilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed the rules so you can't leave, cause otherwise it's no fun. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    #1 Nintendo DS.
    #2 Pokemon Games.
    #3 Girlfriend (for food and whatnot).
    #4 Tent.
    "Like the ancient tibetan philosophy states; dont start none, wont be none."
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Lord Monichromicorn?
    Where is my gooooooooooooold
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley
    Lord Monichromicorn

Wheres my candy
    da best ^

10+ Year Old Account
    I see people still wouldn't be able to leave modern technology even in the wilderness. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival handbook.
    Machete.
    Three kilos of heroin, a few lighters and half a litre of lighter fluid.
    Enough aluminium foil to smoke all that heroin on.
    A rolled up tent thingy.
    Flint and sparky thingy in case someting happens to my lighters/lighter fluid.
    Water distillation device (to make drinkable water from seawater)
    A container of twenty or so syringes, to celebrate birthdays and special occasions with the heroin, or commit suicide via overdose if the solitude becomes too much (although that's partly what the heroin is there for in the first place)
    1000 or so 10 MG Valium tablets.
    A few pictures of naked women, so I don't forget.
    A kilo of rations to keep me going 'til I get in the groove of getting my own food from the wild.
    Make that 5 kilos of heroin.
    1 kilo of weed, and a ton of skins.

That's the only way I'd be able to go that long alone in the wild without going insane, I'd have to get messed up every day. I wouldn't be able to take being alone for that long otherwise.
    "The truth, my goal."

I would prefer to live in a mild temperature area near a mountain with a forest near by.

my list o' crap:

rifle with a couple boxes of ammo
    a hand gun with a few boxes of ammo
    a bunch of knifes
    hatchet and a hand saw (cut small trees and possibly make a fence or "ghetto" housing)
    hunting bow with a some arrows
    flint and tinder
    shovel (dig a "moat" of sorts around me to help keep out animals)
    extra clothes / boots
    a few utensils and some plates / bowls / a pot
    some cans of food to help me start off
    a big ass tarp (catching ran water and such)
    some seeds and such to grow food
    small tent

that sounds like a lot to carry, and it is. but most of the stuff is light. OP said what you can carry, didnt say i had to walk miles with it lol.