Thread: Girly games?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Girly games?

My 18 year old sister has been nagging me to find her a fun game. When I google for it, it only returns some dress-up and other flash games shit. I need an actual game that could be played for hours - not something casual like puzzle or tetris, but also something not too complicated, she's a newbie. When I ask her, she doesn't really know what she would like to play (women >.<). She has an old computer, it only has 64 video RAM afair.

Things she liked so far:
    Sims
    Starcraft
    Plants vs Zombies (she really loved it, that sucked her in for hours)
    Portal (she got frustrated at higher lvls and stopped playing)

She doesn't want to play MMO, race games, or any creepy games, and she disliked those:
    Age of Empires 2
    Diablo 2
    Worms Armageddon
    Spore
    Jazz Jackrabbit 2

I guess she would like HoM&M but I can't be arsed to explain the whole game. So what games do your girlfriends/sisters/moms play? Please only PC games.
    Last edited by Marcin; 2011-03-03 at 05:00 PM.

If she's not interested in RPGs or anything "creepy" you're prob going to have a difficult time finding something for her on the PC. I was going to suggest Peggle but you said no puzzle/tetris style games. Does she have any console systems? Specifically a Wii or DS? If so, the new Super Mario Bros or Donkey Kong Country are really fun and have just enough challenge to keep you busy for awhile. Not sure what else to suggest, I'm a girl myself but I like RPG's and good action/adventure games.

Deleted
    Try something older like Black and White 2. It's got some loose RTS aspects like Starcraft (build places for your villages to live, an armory to create soldier/archers and wage war on other villages), but it's also got the aspect of looking after a cute (or not-so-cute) pet, too. A GIANT pet that decides he wants to dump on your villagers or munch on some trees.

I'm a girl. I had a lot of fun with this game - Black and White 1 too, but the graphics are really basic and you may have problems getting it to run. XP will probably run it, but I couldn't run it in Windows 7 even as administrator and in compatibility mode after looking at 'how to' forums.

Edit: Actually, if she has an older computer, then definitely try B&W1. B&W2 will probably be too stressful on an older computer.
    Last edited by mmoc4ac717c3e3; 2011-03-03 at 05:10 PM.

Ohhh BnW and BnW2... nostalgia abound... Loved those. Just had to post.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    Ohhh BnW and BnW2... nostalgia abound... Loved those. Just had to post.
    Yeah, I just reinstalled B&W2 onto my system a couple of weeks ago. I miss skirmish mode from B&W1 though. Both great games; shame that they never went ahead with the next three all the way up to B&W5 as was originally planned...

Have you suggested WoW? It's not an MMO, it's THE MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    I was going to suggest Peggle but you said no puzzle/tetris style games. Does she have any console systems?
    Actually I might try Peggle... PopCap games have that addicting potential and she liked Plants vs Zombies, so it's worth a try. Thanks. She only has PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryth View Post
    Try something older like Black and White 2.
    Oh I played B&W myself back in the days, it's a good suggestion. Intuitive interface, shiny graphics and looking after a pet - she might like it Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthlol View Post
    Have you suggested WoW? It's not an MMO, it's THE MMO.
    Yeah, I tried. But she thinks WoW is the worst game ever and I won't shake it out of her head. She won't give it a try.
    Last edited by Marcin; 2011-03-03 at 05:21 PM.

Um...portal 2 when it comes out? Not very long to

10+ Year Old Account
    Try old 16 bits games. Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Mickey Mania, etc. My sister loves them.

My girlfriend likes to play some tower defenses...

And my mom likes Solitare Spider, from Windows itself =).

Have you tried to introduce her to any of the Warcrafts?

Nimbus is good, costs about 10$ on steam, I believe.

Edit: How about Warcraft III?

Deleted
    She liked Sims, huh? minecraft.net has something in common, it's a giant sandbox in which you can build everything, from a simple house to a fortress from Lord of the Rings. It should run fine on lower settings.

Also try Age of Mythology, it's basically the same as starcraft but with Terran, Zerg and Protoss replaced with Greece, Egypt and Norse stuff.
    Last edited by mmocff1d107bf9; 2011-03-03 at 05:29 PM.

League Of Legends
    Such feeble minds..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    Actually I might try Peggle... PopCap games have that addicting potential and she liked Plants vs Zombies, so it's worth a try. Thanks. She only has PC.
    Just want to point out that I also found Plants Vs Zombies addicting, but I didn't enjoy Peggle. I don't really get any fun out of shooting balls at blocks. Your sister might, but I don't think it'll be as fun for her as P Vs Z. Plants is comedic, and there's an excitement in seeing what plant you'll unlock next, and what zombie. Peggle is just aiming to shoot a ball with the best result. I'd say that in that way, it might come under the 'puzzle' heading your sister isn't looking for. Still, always worth a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    minecraft! not very girly but very fun.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

If you guys have an Xbox park her in front of it with a copy of Fable 1-3. It's not scary, it's quite funny, and you have plenty of fun playing it without progressing through the storyline.

There's also Kingdom Hearts which is very laid-back and fun. Any of the Zelda games if you have a wii or gamecube. I'm a girl and (don't appreciate your sexism) I am very picky about my games.

Oh and see if she'd try an FPS. But warn her that she's gonna suck balls at it but she'll eventually get better. My suggestion is gears of war or call of duty.

Since you mention that you only want PC she might want to indulge in some other consoles... which is why I suggested a bunch of other games. But my first suggestion, Fable, is available on the PC and 1-2 should be quite cheap to buy. Fable 3 isn't coming out until May (which is shiiit). Sims 3 was pretty fun. But if her PC sucks she may not be able to play a lot of the new games coming out (or FPS games).

If all else fails tell her to cowboy the fuck up and decide for herself.
    Last edited by Willelm; 2011-03-03 at 05:32 PM.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Stop thinking about "what game would be fun for a GIRL" and think "what game would be fun for THIS SPECIFIC PERSON". Women aren't a monolithic hivemind where every member thinks and acts the same. Of course you'll only find stereotypical shit if you google "girl games", because you're making a stupid, biased question.

If she liked Starcraft and The Sims, she'll probably like something with fast-paced micromanaging. Try to get her some of the old Warcraft games, and if she likes the lore you can get her to try WoW. I'd also suggest some old DOS games like Lemmings or The Lost Vikings, which are proved classics and very enjoyable. Other Pop Cap puzzle games may be a good idea too, since she liked PvZ, try Insaniquarium or Dinomyte. I think Peggle is goddamn boring, but try this one too.

10+ Year Old Account
    try Virtual Villagers or MyTribe I found them very enjoyable, kind of like sims on an island but much simpler and enjoyable

you can find them here

if she liked Starcraft, then she would have to like the warcraft series

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    If she disliked Age of Empires 2... Slap her with a brick!

Anyways, my gf plays all the same stuff as me, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Age of..., WoW bla bla... So yeah

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann