Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Would you like to see a Plate Caster?

Well, the question pretty much speaks for itself.

As a long time fantasy lover, I've always loved the Arcane Warrior/Mageknight Archetype. I personally would love to see a class like this in WoW, and to me, it seems like the next logical Hero class if they decide to make another one.

First of all, the tools are all there. We have caster plate, which only 1 of 30 specs use at the moment, the only gear variation to have so little use. We have caster 1 Handers, and we have Caster shields. Give the new class the Hybrid talent that converts Spirit to hit, and we're already pretty golden gearwise, and we'll get more use of the Caster plate and shields.

Secondly, I imagine the two other specs as Melee DPS and Tanking. A lot of people seem to think a new tanking class/spec would solve the problem of tank shortage, and while I don't wholeheartedly agree with that point of view, a new tanking spec would at least not hurt the possibility of a rise in Tank numbers. I imagine the Melee spec as somewhat akin to the current implementaion of Enhancement shamans, combining melee and spells.

Thirdly, I think it gives a possibilty for a truly unique class thematic, and a very unique feel.

so, TL;DR: If you ignore the bad taste many still have in the back of their throat after the DK Balancing issues at the start of Wrath, would you like to see a Plated Caster hybrid as the next hero class?

PUGs are Blizzards version of reality TV, put five random people together in an enclosed environment, and watch as the drama unfolds

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Like a "Battle Mage"? Sure

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

a caster tank class would be interesting but gotta wonder how much qq will come from pvp though

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

So.
    3 Clothies
    2 Leathers
    2 Mails
    4 Plate?
    To much gear sharing at 1 place lol, almost 40% as plate.
    I want to see more leather and mail.
    Beside that, its a class I would like to see, but maybe a battle mage in mail instead?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    sure i think that would be fun... id would like to see it

For a while in cataclysm you could do more DPS as Shockadin than you could as ret.

I doubt we will see this though. There is enough classes/specs to try and balance.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds cool, personally i'm still rooting for the tinker / battlemech type Hero class next, but i will probably enjoy such a class, and it does seem nearly retarded having intellect plate for just 1 spec, everyone else gotta share there lootys :-) Horray for the comming QQ from pallys!

a plate caster.... like dk's?

10+ Year Old Account
    lol sure, have a caster in plate who's casts suffer no push back, but do 1/2 the damage of a melee tank. also in the same token, give them Righteous Fury x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanto94 View Post
    So.
    3 Clothies
    2 Leathers
    2 Mails
    4 Plate?
    Beside that, its a class I would like to see, but maybe a battle mage in mail instead?
    /facepalm

Did you forget there is melee plate and sp plate? and only 1 spec of 1 class uses plate with int.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

So.
    3 Clothies
    2 Leathers
    2 Mails
    4 Plate?
    This math is a little off, if you divide out the plate to 3 Plate wearers using tanking plate, 3 dps classes using DPS plate and only 1 class in the entire game using caster plate... 1/30 for specs.

Another class using holy paly gear wouldn't be a bad idea. Kind of the inverse of what we got with DK's, where they are melee DPS with spell support, the Battle mage could be a caster with some melee tendencies.

Just not sure how to balance the other trees. Is it 3 kinds of dps or do we add another tank or healer (or both) to the mix.

Don't think this would ever happen...if it did then they'd have like no CC to counter the fact they have as much armor as a warrior yet can dps from distance

Quote Originally Posted by planrawsto
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

So.
    3 Clothies
    2 Leathers
    2 Mails
    4 Plate?
    pretty much this.

paladin's are basically casters in plate armor anyway. sure most of the specs use melee but ti's to offset the survivability they gain from plate armor. if you take a mage and stick him in plate armor they will be way too hard to balance (seeing as how all the plate wearer's currently almost exclusively rely on close combat)

the benefit of wearing cloth is that you can keep melee classes at a range thus giving you more survivability.

TL;DR: NO

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think this would be way too overpowered

Warlock + Plate.. woot..

Deleted
    No, too OP + doesnt make sense

Deleted
    DKs and Paladins are likely the closest sort of machination to plate caster we'll see.
    I mean, to justify the armour, you'd have to lose even more magical durability/buffs/escapes (See Elemental Shaman vs Frost mage. Exactly.)

so what are your class ideas along a plate wearing caster?
    here are mine:

Magic Swordsman: Magical Based Sword Attacks, uses some lightning elemental damage and wind attacks. (We have wind elementals in game but no class really uses wind magic at all... *cyclone/typhoon, lol*)
    3 specs:
    MDPS: Wind Based Melee attacks and damage, using some lightning and nature elemental magic as well.
    RDPS: Focuses on Lightning based ranged attacks, sacrificing strong melee ability for a more powerful ranged damage, using both ranged wind magic, lightning magic and nature magic (earth type stuff)
    TANK: Uses Earth/Nature based magic to reinforce itself, Energizes a shield by charging it with lightning and gaining more snares and aoe damage for tanking with lightning/wind magic

so what do you guys think? What are YOUR ideas for a plate caster class?

10+ Year Old Account
    ok the idea is not bad, but what about specs? Caster Tank, Melee Tank and Healer? we don't need anymore DPS in the game atm, and we have quite the shortage of Tanks and could use a few more healers. So make it the only class with 2 Tanking Specs.

Deleted
    Hello. I heard someone talking about plate casters and stopped in to say hi.

Please refrain from posting if you have nothing to add.
    Last edited by bahumut5; 2011-03-03 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeSudz View Post
    pretty much this.

paladin's are basically casters in plate armor anyway. sure most of the specs use melee but ti's to offset the survivability they gain from plate armor. if you take a mage and stick him in plate armor they will be way too hard to balance (seeing as how all the plate wearer's currently almost exclusively rely on close combat)

the benefit of wearing cloth is that you can keep melee classes at a range thus giving you more survivability.

TL;DR: NO
    Plate Caster wouldn't really create any gear sharing issues. Right now the only plate wearer that grabs int gear is Holy Paladin:

Avoidance Stat Plate: Prot War, Blood DK, Prot Pally
    DPS Stat Plate: Fury/Arms War, Frost/Unholy DK, Ret Pally
    Caster Plate: Holy Pally

On the other hand Battle Mage in mail would compete with Elemental Shaman/Resto Shaman for gear.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword