Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Avestheman View Post
    Three weeks ago, however, as I was leaving Manhattan, gym bag in hand, I got a call from my GF. Her plans were canceled and wanted to know if I had any interest in coming over to bake cookies with her little counsins... Wait, WHAT?! I mean, I had a huge not-good-for-me sandwich at lunch, so I felt like I should run around, and I [...] (wanted to do other stuff, because baking cookies is stupid and boring)

[...]

STOP!!! What was I doing? "Yes, I'll come make cookies."

Growing up isn't that bad.
    don't mix up "growing up" with being "submissively dependent on someone", dude. and, believe it or not, many people are able to moderate their game time, while doing sports and seeing friends/girlfriends/family the whole week. use your time. make compromises. THAT's called growing up, not what you are describing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same situation here OP. Also sold it. Summer is coming, not going to miss it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    OMG this
    I've spent more than 5 years of my life playing WoW, but there comes a time when you just have to stop because you can no longer disregard real life.
    No such time comes if you didn't disregard your real life in the first place. Play in moderation and you'll have plenty of time for anything real life throws at you. No one is forcing you to be a nolifer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice post.

I know exactly how you feel and I think this is why Rift is sooo appealing. Im not hitting it like I did WoW back in vanilla, but what is nice is when I get on I feel I can accomplish some things without a huge headache or time sink. Its definitely helped things out with the GF and I no longer feel like I have to choose between a game and her, which was obviously ridiculous. Im actually getting out and seeing old friends who never got into gaming while still seeing some gaming friends in Rift and theres always facebook.

Its actually amazing how much easier it is to spread yourself around after quitting WoW. Who knows maybe Ill end up coming back, someday.

Deleted
    5 Points for an eloquent, mature and reasonable quitting post. We all grow up and it's good that you've realised when the time has come for you to call it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    OP lost me when he said he was playing Rift.

Not because I hate Rift, but because it's not "time", as he says. He builds up this whole momentum about how he's just moved on and grown up and it is "time" to stop WoW...only to say he's just in another MMO.

You're not moving on, bro. You're putting food coloring in your cocaine and calling it Pop Rocks.
    Not quit, RIFT is very similar to WoW but also very different. I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm older now, I'm a med student who was lucky enough to have the semester off. I got done in early December, leveled to 85 in less than a week. I have 5 85s now, two more around 82. I think WoW is a great game, but the devs for it really turned me off. Most of my guild quit WoW, and I found myself with just a few friends hanging out doing nothing. Mostly we stood in Org, or we would go outside of org and duel.

We decided to switch to rift. It's made a huge difference. In WoW I felt like there was always something "I had to do" it was never "I want to do". In rift if I log in and play there is no pressing issue going on. I can enjoy the game. There is no push in order to reach max level to do things. You can do rifts etc while leveling. I'm not trying to derail the OPs thread, but I wanted to tell you that you are wrong. There is a huge difference in the two. I feel like RIFT is probably the first real mmo designed for casual players. I mean sure if you want to rush through it then there is end game content, but for me I enjoy the fresh start.

Just take what the OP said about baking cookies. I used to pass up stuff with people because "tonight we need to arena" and then the next night "we need to gear" etc. Now I can just say o.k. because the game I play now offers me a variety of ways to do things. I can have fun without the endless grind. Then again it could just be the way I see it. Either way I'm happy now, and that's all that counts to me. If you are happy in WoW, awesome.

gz on quitting, but i dont see any relation with growing up. as someone stated earlier you are just switching to a new game. As you said yourself, you wont stop playing.
    After 6 years you just got fed up with same old content, raid mechanics etc. Maybe you played a bit too much and too long.
    I dont see myself quitting anytime soon, eventho i have a GF and im on my 3rd year in college. But then again, I dont play all that much, just show up for 3 raids a week.

anyways mate, good luck in your next game

honestly, if you really want to quit man up and mail privacy@blizzard.com and ask them to delete your account lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    No such time comes if you didn't disregard your real life in the first place. Play in moderation and you'll have plenty of time for anything real life throws at you. No one is forcing you to be a nolifer.
    Thing is, you can't really "play" WoW in moderation. I was in a top20 guild for a very long time, and for me personally that is what WoW is about. If I can't be in a decent raiding position I'd rather not play at all, as I'm quite a maximalist. I tried being casual and do heroics every once in a while, but that's just pissed me off as I hate not being grouped with the best of players.

So yeah, it's either "WoW is my life" or quit... for me at least.

After I dinged my 3rd 85 I just don't feel like playing wow anymore. It's not an mmo with story anymore. It's a hang in capital city and jump around fest. I tried to get some world pvp going and it's hard to find other players. Even if you try to take the town now there is guards that rock your world. Wow has simply lost the mmo touch by to much convenience while neutering encounters. Every encounter is neutered to a simple level. Quests are to easy, gold is to easy, raid bosses are to easy. I feel like I should login and get an epic.

Started playing rift and it's everything done right.

i wish my guild and arena team would blow up so i could quit. resilient bunch they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Avestheman View Post
    "Here I stand the lion before the lambs, and they do not fear. They cannot fear."
    (touching story)
    Wow, great read. 10/10 A+ Good luck in RL!