Thread: Raid Ready?

Raid Ready?

Here is my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../aenlor/simple

I'm beginning to get bored with the endless grinds of heroics and I'm thinking about joining my guilds soon to be second raid group, and I was wondering if you were a raid leader would you take me to a raid with you?

If yes then some tips and tricks to some boss fights wouldn't hurt
    Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you should of probably started raiding awhile ago.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    I don't play a Prot Paladin (Warrior here) but you look good to me, although I don't think 2 stam trinkets is recommended but yet I'm not a Prot paladin so I'd wait for other criticism. Looks good to me still though. Not much else you can do other than raids atm anyway from the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Yes, you should of probably started raiding awhile ago.
    I was thinking the same, but I just got some free time that coincides with my guild's raid time Soooo I'm going to start now haha
    Last edited by Durand; 2011-03-04 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Just my opinion, but you seem low in the mastery department which is our best stat. Perhaps you are favoring stamina for some reason, but thats not going to keep you alive in Raids. Mitigation/Avoidance is what I would be looking for. Also your Dodge and Parry are miles apart. Don't try and balance the percentage, balance the actual number.

A couple rep items I would go after as well.

Guardians of Hyjal - Get the DPS plate belt. It has an enormous amount of mastery, just reforge the crit into Dodge.

Earthen Ring - Hopefully you are wearing their tabard. They have a very nice 359ilvl agility ring with a ton of mastery as well, just reforge the haste into Dodge.

Other then that (and I am nitpicking a little) you should easily be capable of handling Magmaw, Omnitron and Halfus.
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.

Deleted
    Hmm I think the ring from Siamat that you're wearing is better than the agi ring from the Earthen Ring.

Other than that, you should reforge away from hit/exp and defenately not gem for it, nor for strength like in your pants or the enchant on your hands.
    Get the Hyjal belt like Ticktac mentioned, and get an avoidance trinket like the one from throngus or the crab.

Deleted
    Rare quallity gems Plx!!

Deleted
    Your gear is perfectly fine for raiding even some hard modes. You should definetly change your gems though.

Your fine for beginner raiding. However, I would probably get some of the craftables like the chest, belt, shield, and if your lucky get the soulblade if you can either afford it or roll for it, then make the earthquake deck its a nice trinket for avoidance, and run grim botal to the second boss get the throngus thumb. Thats a real nice avoidance trinket.

Remember to have at least 26 expertise for threat. As you progress start working on hit to 8% while maintaining 26 expertise this helps with threat a lot.

Heres a link to tank gear, gemming priorities, some other good stuff.
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

This one I really like the stages. Helps me in stages for gearing to the next level.
    Last edited by COLWRAITH; 2011-03-04 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by COLWRAITH View Post
    Your fine for beginner raiding. However, I would probably get some of the craftables like the chest, belt, shield, and if your lucky get the soulblade if you can either afford it or roll for it, then make the earthquake deck its a nice trinket for avoidance, and run grim botal to the second boss get the throngus thumb. Thats a real nice avoidance trinket.

Remember to have at least 26 expertise for threat. As you progress start working on hit to 8% while maintaining 26 expertise this helps with threat a lot.

heres a link to tank gear etc

This one I really like the stages.
    DO NOT waste money on the earthquake trinket......DO NOT reforge for hit or expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    DO NOT waste money on the earthquake trinket......DO NOT reforge for hit or expertise
    I never said to reforge anything. I only suggest the earthquake deck because it is good for a starter raider and its real cheap to make at least on my server. But its up the OP. I also link to other options for gear so the OP has an idea.

Deleted
    I would rather do tb dailys and get the mirror of broken images since it's a lot better than earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktac View Post
    Just my opinion, but you seem low in the mastery department which is our best stat. Perhaps you are favoring stamina for some reason, but thats not going to keep you alive in Raids.
    That's a very common misconception. Outside of simply gemming all 60 stam and ignoring socket bonuses plus parry or mastery from mixed-color gems, and trinkets, there is no way to "favor stamina".

Furthermore, this notion that stamina is somehow bad is very bizarre. Tanking and healing is not like dps, where with an accurate model, you can give an exact answer as to what is optimal, because there is exactly one metric driving the analysis, which is simply damage done over time.

For tanking and healing, you have different subgoals that may or may not synergize. For example for healers, apart from specific mechanics that sometimes may mix the goals, throughput and regen are conflicting goals that are achieved by gearing at the expense of the other.

For tanks, effective health (stamina/armor) vs RNG-based mitigation (blocking) vs avoidance are not necessarily entities that can be mathematically compared directly without resorting to models that are essentially meaningless as far as your ability to successfully down an encounter. For example, blocking and avoidance are directly comparable in value over large time scales by computing the average damage reduction gained per point of stat, but over the short timescales where a tank actually dies, this comparison breaks down (i.e. there are obviously times when blocking is superior because of a smoother damage input). Oddly, Blizzard solves this problem for us by making Mastery strictly superior in terms of long-term average damage input once avoidance ratings exceed about 952 (which is bizarre design imo, because avoidance being better in the long term is a much more robust tradeoff decision).

Even the issue of favoring mitigation/avoidance to conserve healer mana is tricky, because it's not simply a case of average long term damage reduction being strictly proportional to healer mana expenditure. There are plenty of very plausible scenarios where having more health buys healers more time to heal you before death, which has a mana savings in terms of healers having the luxury to use cheaper spells, instead of panicking and blowing out their mana healing you in large amounts asap. Depending on the specific numbers involved, it's very plausible for an avoidance-heavy low-health tank to completely squander whatever mana savings were already realized in an encounter by taking a rapid string of unavoided hits.

So in short, not only is there factually very little a player can really do to favor stamina versus avoidance/mitigation (it's not like there are pieces with more stamina and no avoidance, or vice-versa), but even if there were it's far too difficult to say with any certainty that X amount of stamina would lose to Y amount of avoidance/mitigation without resorting to absurd models that have little to no relationship to real in-game practical play. These differences would all break down in the case where boss swing speed approaches infinity and boss hit size approaches zero (in which case armor, avoidance, and block all reduce to exactly the same phenomenon, which is also incidentally why historically avoidance has looked favorable against faster-hitting bosses), but unless we're actually playing the game in that mathematically limiting case, there is a significant amount of apples-to-oranges comparison going on here.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2011-03-04 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I was wondering why I saw a lot of tanks running around with the Hyjal belt and just kinda ignored them, but I guess I will get it now, thanks.