Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Guild Wars 2 Gameplay----Possible Competition for Wow

Heres 3 Guild Wars 2 gameplay vids. This could possibly be more competition for WoW which should hopefully lead Blizz to panic, get off their buts and give us more content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjOM2eKsJM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnl2ScjsWvk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZSuniSsGU

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 is not trying to beat WoW.

Also, Blizzard IS giving us more content. For crying out loud, first I hear people say that Cataclysm came out too early (yes because months of ICC is just so fun), and then there are people who say Cataclysm needs more content.

We are getting content. Just be patient. They can't just start shoving new content over and over and over again every week and expect everyone to enjoy the game.

Games only been out for about three months, greedy people are greedy?
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, GW2 is looking better every day but i don't really think people will leave WoW for it.... me for example, i'm definitively going to buy it and play it, alongside with WoW, it's f2p so i don't mind playing both, if it wasn't f2p, that would be another matter entirely...

could care less how bad gw2 is and how great wow is or vice versa all i needed to know was char are playable and i was hooked all other info is obsolete to me atm

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, Guild Wars 2 is a brand new game. And again, unlike Rift that taunted World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 is just there to provide an alternative.

Guild Wars 1 has been out for a long time alongside WoW and both games are doing well.
    I play both. I like both.

I will probably play both GW2 and WoW. Since GW2 is f2p anyways.

Deleted
    im sure GW 2 gonna blow wow out of the pic lol

The next expansion better have more than 5 lvls. At least a 15 lvls because I did 80-85 in just 2 days. Thats way too fast. I don't want them to lower the xp, but to increase the # of lvls. I find lvling fun.

Everyone says how great Vanilla was, do you remember how slowly *class changes* were made back then, to say nothing of the snail's pace at which content was released. Hell, even the vaunted Burning Crusade moved at a relative crawl.

I anticipate the release of games whose look I like as everyone, but needing to claim that everything that comes along will be 'competition' for WoW (especially comparing apples to oranges in a F2P vs a P2P game) is excessive to say the least. Hoping that it will cause improvement to other games is fine, but your presentation is distinctly disrespectful and juvenile.

The "problem" with WoW is the spoiled player base and simply the age of the game. By the numbers, this expansion should be vastly more interesting than any before it and yet I'm 'bored' with it. Why? Because I've been playing the game for 5-6 years. It's not the game's fault, it's not Blizzard's fault, it's not even really my fault. Blizzard has done their damnedest to keep people around this long, and they're not making sacrifices of quality in order to squeeze out of you every red cent they can possibly get. You guys may *think* they are, but you're forgetting just how bad the 'good old days' really were...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    im sure GW 2 gonna blow wow out of the pic lol
    Guild Wars 1 didn't and I think GW was a great game. That's why I play/ed both.

GW2 is just different. GW1 doesn't even have that many content updates like new encounters and raids and what not yet it still has a pretty powerful playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong section?

And GW2 won't blow wow out of the pic... A ton of people have bad impressions about GW and won't ever touch GW2, especially since it is F2P people might buy it and play it casually when they aren't on WoW, but since they P2P WoW that will take precedence over a free game.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Since GW2 is f2p anyways.
    Wait, it will be f2p? may try it out then

Yes, it will be f2p just like GW1 was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogkin View Post
    Wrong section?

And GW2 won't blow wow out of the pic... A ton of people have bad impressions about GW and won't ever touch GW2, especially since it is F2P people might buy it and play it casually when they aren't on WoW, but since they P2P WoW that will take precedence over a free game.
    Actually a ton of players still play Guild Wars. I remember subs hit some 6-7 million a year or so ago, so that's not really "bad" impression and GW2 is a very different game from its predecessor.

The thing about GW is that you won't have to worry putting the game down because you're not paying for it monthly. You buy the game once and you own it.
    I, among many other WoW players, play both Guild Wars AND WoW. Or have played both.

And Guild Wars 2 isn't trying to replace WoW. It's goal is to provide an alternative MMO for people who want something different.
    I am excited for it but I won't drop WoW...since I can play both.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2011-03-04 at 09:27 PM.

Nothing is going to kill WoW. Blizzard will always have their subscribers, their fans, their loyal customers (I am a loyal customer and I am proud of it.). As popular as a game gets, it will never amount to what WoW has done and what it will do. The reason it's so popular is because it has essentially everyone someone could want in an MMO... PvE, PvP, achievements, etc.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 is not:

- Going to kill WoW
    - Aiming to kill WoW
    - Going to make Blizzard panic.

Guild Wars 2 is trying out a radically different philosophy in their game. Having no set "healing" class and making dying somewhat fun is not going to make Blizzard scream OH HOLY BALLS, WE NEEDA NERF SOMETHIN' OR DO SOMETHING RIGHT STAT NOW.

Guild Wars hasn't really ever been comparable to WoW. I got my start in MMO's from that game, and when I came to WoW, it was like I'd never played an MMO before. GW1 was mostly geared around PVP. And the "balance" patches were basically to make a certain PVP grouping less good because people were exploiting the living balls out of it. B-Spike vs B-Spike, R-Spike vs R-Spike, B-Spike vs R-Spike, IWAY vs VIMway, IWAY vs VIMway vs B-Spike. You name it, everybody was running it or had run it into the ground at least once.

GW2, from what I understand, is moving away from being PVP-centric to being more of a balance between PVP and PVE, but it has never been Areanet's intention to kill WoW. I read an article years ago asking why they didn't charge a subscrip fee like WoW and the devs said "Well, we're not WoW. We're not trying to be WoW. We're trying to make a game that is our own, not a WoW rip off." I believe that's what happening with GW2. They're trying to be different than WoW and make a game that people enjoy playing that isn't reminiscent of WoW. Anyway, GW2 is moving to being more PVP and PVE harmonic. See, Areanet isn't going to swing a nerf bat around at classes in their games because of how the game works. You have some really ingenious people with a lot of ingeunity figuring out how to make the dual class pairings work. So, no doubt when a certain pvp or pve grouping gets to be too powerful, someone is going to pioneer a way to bury that grouping and make the next paradigm. Very little nerfing and balancing went into that game in the years I played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    Wait, it will be f2p? may try it out then
    GW 1 is f2p, GW 2 will be f2p. You pay for the game itself (and any expansions) and that's it. No monthly fee.

OT: GW 2 is following in the footsteps of GW 1 (in a very good way IMHO, the game looks great). Guild Wars is a very popular game in its own right. It is not attempting, nor has ever attempted, to be a "WOW Killer".
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    give us more content.
    I have no idea what you want from Blizzard but if content as quick as Blizzard gives isn't good enough for you then I doubt GW, or any other MMO, will be enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    Heres 3 Guild Wars 2 gameplay vids. This could possibly be more competition for WoW which should hopefully lead Blizz to panic, get off their buts and give us more content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjOM2eKsJM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnl2ScjsWvk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZSuniSsGU
    It's only competition if you see it as that. Most people just see it as another option of gameplay. Why are you so wanting so badly for their to be "competition"? As you said it's for Blizz to get off their butts and give more content. Can you name any MMO that gives as much content as Blizz gives out? Most games require you to buy an addon pack before you get "more" content. We are lucky enough that we gets raids/dungeons on a decent basis and not have to pay that much more from it aside from an expansion pack every few years.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RpX9oAaSo

Thats a SICK fight, and a big fu*king dragon