New disc priest seeking raid healing help

Hello, I recently changed to Disc priest from Holy. I am currently in a guild thats 6/12 and I am 5/12 as Holy.

I am confused how Disc rotation works in raids because I am not sure when to use the right spells prior to the situation.

Can someone give me a quick overview on when to use some of these spells/CD?

PW:S
    PW:B
    Greater heal
    heal ( ever? )
    Renew ( " )
    Smite+atonement
    Flash Heal
    binding Heal

healing in cata

there are no rotations for healing.

im not being like a smarty pants or anything im speaking the truth. in wrath there was kinda a rotation because mana didnt matter at all... it was just spam the F outa ur heals... but now in cata you just use the minimum amount of mana possible and use ur most efficient heal whenver possible. if someone´s about to die.. use a quick expensive heal as an emergency.. its a lot more thinking now. so make your own roation, whatever works the best for you at your ever changing gear level, because your "rotation" will also be ever changing
    Last edited by cquirki; 2011-03-05 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cquirki View Post
    there are no rotations for healing.
    i know, i just want to to know when to use certain heals

edit: ok, i understand but can someone tell me how PW:S works as disc? I know to use cautiously on tanks to get Rupture mana back but when should i be using for my other party members?
    Last edited by Classu; 2011-03-05 at 01:55 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could you be more specific? Atonement and Non-Atonment are completely different play styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodisius View Post
    Could you be more specific? Atonement and Non-Atonment are completely different play styles.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that im in atonement spec

Quote Originally Posted by Classu View Post
    i know, i just want to to know when to use certain heals
    PW:S = When you know there is damage incoming
    PW:B = When you know there is damage incoming, possibly on a certain area
    Greater heal = When someone has taken a big hit
    heal ( ever? ) = not "ever?", always unless you need some other spells as specified above and below
    Renew ( " ) = rarely
    Smite+atonement = if you've specced for it (you shouldn't), almost always unless a certain person needs attention
    Flash Heal = when you need to heal someone fast
    binding Heal = when you need to heal someone AND yourself (fast)

And you didn't even mention Penance; use it whenever it's off cooldown.

And Prayer of Healing when you need to heal a full group.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    PW:S - Tanks on whenever weakened soul falls off or Blanket the raid when a lot of damage is coming(10-man only).
    PW:B - When there is a high amount of damage and everyone can be stacked up.
    GH - If someone needs a big heal and no damage is coming soon (mana efficient)
    Penance - On CD on either the tanks or someone who is low and needs to be upped
    Renew - Never
    Smite+Atonement - At the moment you're going to want to take the points in the shadow tree(Twisted Faith) to make sure you don't miss with Holy Fire. You will want to do this while waiting for Weakened Soul to fall off the tanks. You may also want to not use penance on CD and use it more as an ocrap spell so you can keep tunneling smites.
    Flash Heal - ONLY if you need a heal fast because this will run you oom in disc extremely fast
    Binding Heal - ONLY if you and your target took a lot of damage and need to be healed up fast (Think Chimaeron)
    Heal - Never since you're atonement

Hope this helps you get started! Happy hunting as a disc priest and hope you enjoy Atonement. I did until my guild didn't need atonement anymore.
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ok, so don't let anyone tell you not to spec into Atonement. It is actually a very effective way to heal (especially on fights where either you have a bit of downtime, or there isn't a whole lot of raid damage going out).

Your staple spell for AoE is Prayer of Healing, you will use that a lot. It grants Divine Aegis no matter what, and if it crits, it grants the crit amount as well. Not only do you get a decent heal off, Divine Aegis can stack to about 25k (I would not recommend spamming this spell to get there though, very ineffecient, but lets say you have 3/5 people in the group taking damage over a period of time, those divine aegis will stack for the other 2 players and are pretty much a free bubble since you're casting the heal anyway).

PW:S Rapture has a 12 second CD. Use the Ingela's Rapture addon (might be 1 word), and place the bar directly over your spell cast bar (very easy to do with Dominos). It puts a countdown for you so you're not wasting a rapture proc. If casting on the Tank, you do not need to anticipate predictable damage.

PW:B has a 2 min CD, and is very effective on a lot of fights that have large AoE predictable damage. This is a very handy tool on Al'Akir (depending on how you're DPS is doing, you can cast it 2 or 3 times during P2 to mitigate Acid Rain and let all of the healers catch up a little or regen mana). You basically just need to know the fight and use it when you know predictable damage is coming.

Greater Heal, use this when someone in you're assigned group takes damage, but only when it's just 1 or 2, otherwise you'll be using Prayer of Healing.

Penance, if you have you're 4-piece set bonus, you will use this every time after PW:S, if not, use it to get a 3-stack of Grace quickly on a target to grant additional healing throughput.

Prayer of Mending, use one tank mostly, but also whenever predictable damage is coming.

Renew, if you have absolutely nothing else to cast and you're on the run, maybe consider casting.

Smite, if you're on an AoE damage intensive fight, you'll only be able to use this 2-3 times consecutively to get a couple atonement heals out and stack Evanglism, which will increase you're healing, and return mana. Otherwise, you'll use this as your main ability as an alternative to spamming Heal on the tank.

Heal, I actually have never used this in a raid encounter, sooo...

Flash Heal, the only fight where I use this really is Chimaeron, and occasionally in emergencies on other encounters, but Chimaeron, this is the best bet (that and Binding Heal).

That's about it. The best method to learn what spells to use though, is practice on an encounter. You said you're already 6/12, with 5 of them being as Holy, so you already have an understanding of how those fights flow.

Never use heal if your disc. Gheal is just as mana efficient.

thank you so much for the replies guys, i feel alot more comfortable